joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 20th-22nd potential..

NaoPos

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the NAO in a neutral to positive state at this time?

HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN THE PATTERN BY NEXT WEEKEND AS INDICATED BYTELECONNECTIONS/FORECAST MJO INDEX ENTERING PHASE 7 AND 8/POSITIVE PNA AND NEG AO/NAO PATTERNS AND GOOD OPERATIONAL ANDENSEMBLE AGREEMENT YIELDING A MILD WRN CONUS AND FRIGID EAST.WIDESPREAD AREAS OF SINGLE DIGIT AND BELOW ZERO LOW TEMPERATURESCAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE NORTHEASTERN QUARTER OF CONUS NEXTWEEKEND. ROSENSTEIN

I would've included the PNA in your bold highlight. Right now I see the major drivers of this pattern going forward as being the forecasted generally -AO allowing the cold to be available and what is currently a forecasted persistent +PNA pattern allowing it to spill into the US (and the MJO too). The NAO around the time frame of this possible storm as tombo referenced above with the CPC map, while having some spread is still relatively neutral (albeit prob negative) and as also mentioned.. east based. It's pretty early in the game yet to say whether or not a storm in the manner of the 12z euro solution comes to fruition.. theres def the potential for it. However, with a weaker -NAO I would def think the possibility of more of a coastal hugger is on the table if we had a storm come up in the manner of the European.

In addition, the MJO phase is forecasted to be in phase 7 at the time of this potential event I believe. And I know trying to connect the phase to past northeast and great lakes storms can be a bit of a wash.. perhaps could get a bit of met assistance here as i'm not an MJO expert by any means but I always thought that phases 8/1 were considered "better" for an east coast snowstorm while something in 7 could foretell something further west.

hr 150 low is escaping east, but like john mentioned certainly a lot of potential.

Don't be surprised if it still tries to bring it up the coast post 156. The height field shows a shortwave still getting towards the base of the trough in the Gulf at 150 hrs and the flow is still amplifying. The first s/w went northeast but the second one could turn north/northeast and at least scrape the coast.

Just over-analyzing a medium range model :lol:

hr 162 has that low just east of savannah, though the trof is neutral tilt so my guess would be it comes up to about hse and escapes east.

Doubt it escapes without at least giving the M/A a storm...the thickness and height lines are backing towards the coast..it's going to probably turn north and then northeast in the next few frames. Look at the height field W of the Mississippi.

Doubt it escapes without at least giving the M/A a storm...the thickness and height lines are backing towards the coast..it's going to probably turn north and then northeast in the next few frames. Look at the height field W of the Mississippi.

And the surface pressure field, there,s an iverted troff there extending into the Lakes.

Archived