joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 20th-22nd potential..

NaoPos

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a slam dunk MECS from DC to New England if taken verbatim. CCB is huge and extends back to Central PA and into Central New England as well...and antecedent surface and mid level temps are so cold that it's snow all the way to the coast with the surface low right off the shore.

Cool solution.

Jesus? You're funny how excited you get for model runs a week away. lol

I'm not getting excited, the model solution verbatim is awesome.

If you read my posts from earlier today; I'm not thrilled IRT the pattern.

That being said, it's 1:30am..and this was nice to look at. Will it happen this way with all the shortwaves embedded within the flow and the major amplification across the Plains? No.

But verbatim, this solution rocks.

That being said, it's 1:30am..and this was nice to look at. Will it happen this way with all the shortwaves embedded within the flow and the major amplification across the Plains? No.

I think you are justified in being interested. Isn't this the fourth or fifth run in a row with some kind of decent east coast storm?

Why aren't you excited regarding the pattern? The +PNA looks great for this next storm with a ridge axis directly over Idaho/Montana, we've got a semblance of a 50/50 low, and very cold air with 510m thicknesses just to our north. I honestly think the chances of at least some snow next weekend are pretty high, if not a MECS/HECS. So far, this has been an absolutely epic winter with a killer pattern, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued.

I'm quite surprised actually at how quiet the weather forums have been lately, especially over on the SNE side. There have been so few posts tonight considering we have a major storm Monday night/Tuesday with potentially dangerous icing, then a beautiful pattern with very cold temperatures and another Nor'easter for next weekend.

I hear ya. I just got a chuckle out of the Jesus comment, but I know you're not taking a longer range run like this too seriously. And I always enjoy your posts and the excellent analysis you give.

wow what a beast of a miller A on the euro tonight..But then i look at the gfs and see a pure northern stream system that pops a miller B..hmm

Would love to hear HM's thoughts on this one, he basically nailed the last 2 blizzards from a week out. Amazing

Why aren't you excited regarding the pattern? The +PNA looks great for this next storm with a ridge axis directly over Idaho/Montana, we've got a semblance of a 50/50 low, and very cold air with 510m thicknesses just to our north. I honestly think the chances of at least some snow next weekend are pretty high, if not a MECS/HECS. So far, this has been an absolutely epic winter with a killer pattern, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued.

I'm quite surprised actually at how quiet the weather forums have been lately, especially over on the SNE side. There have been so few posts tonight considering we have a major storm Monday night/Tuesday with potentially dangerous icing, then a beautiful pattern with very cold temperatures and another Nor'easter for next weekend.

I think people are tired and taking a break after all the tracking in the last few weeks with the big storms. The Monday night/Tuesday storm is mostly rain for NYC area, so people aren't too excited. Things will come alive again in a few days if next weekend's threat looks legitimate.

This would be the first time honestly since the PD II storm that we truly had an arctic high in place north of one of these storms....thats one thing that really has been missing the last 10 years on many of the NE U.S. storms, even when the 50/50 low and Greenland block has been there.

Yes, what we all want (and which would be the elixir for the board) would be a wide ranging event like Feb 1983, Jan 1996, PD2, etc.-- I've become bored with these "bombs" and would like to see a large storm dump 20" inches over a wide area. ;)

Bring it on home, SG! :snowman:

I'm still not interested whatsoever. The solution was great to see, but to me it screams of a "needle in a haystack" outcome that could drastically change like that. Use what phraseology you want, threading the needle, etc, but I would be much more confident with a blocking pattern present. We're still in a Nina, where storms will try to cut as much as possible due to the northern stream's dominance and the SE Ridge being ever present without the NAO to keep it in check. this could be the very rare instance where that rule is denied, but I would be much more confident if that ridge axis in the West slides east, or the blocking presence improves over the Davis Strait/Greenland.

I'm still not interested whatsoever. The solution was great to see, but to me it screams of a "needle in a haystack" outcome that could drastically change like that. Use what phraseology you want, threading the needle, etc, but I would be much more confident with a blocking pattern present. We're still in a Nina, where storms will try to cut as much as possible due to the northern stream's dominance and the SE Ridge being ever present without the NAO to keep it in check. this could be the very rare instance where that rule is denied, but I would be much more confident if that ridge axis in the West slides east, or the blocking presence improves over the Davis Strait/Greenland.

Isnt an arctic airmass supposed to be moving down in that time frame, JM? Perhaps its more of a timing issue, where it pushes the storm off shore. It's hard to see the storm for late next week cutting though.

All indications based on the GEM, GFS, and Euro ensembles are that the operational Euro run was an epic blip

yeah remember what the euro did in the medium - long range with the norlun trough event? it blew it up one run into a massive miller B.. Euro has been having these kind of inconsistencies this winter, however we should still be able to pull off atleast a minor event out of the day 7 threat.

Archived