Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
PHL Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

blue sky

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are absolutely getting thumped.

Yeah we really are. Heavy snow continues. The peak rates from this storm have definitely exceeded the peak rates from 12/26 here.

I love it when the flakes are actually big and it's coming down heavily as opposed to the 12/26 storm where the flakes were torn apart by the wind. Really beautiful (even though it's nighttime).

Yeah we really are. Heavy snow continues. The peak rates from this storm have definitely exceeded the peak rates from 12/26 here.

I love it when the flakes are actually big and it's coming down heavily as opposed to the 12/26 storm where the flakes were torn apart by the wind. Really beautiful (even though it's nighttime).

I think when all is said and done I will be at the high end of the current forecasted amount of 3 to 7 inches.

It sounds like I had the same experience you did on 12/26. One difference in this storm besides the wind is the more numerous bands which are alloiwing more locations to get in on the action. Stlll snowing pretty hard with about 5" so far.

Just did a 2nd shoveling. Up to 5.0" as of 1:00 am here in northern Middlesex County, meaning I got 1.0" in the past hour (got 1.5" in the previous hour). However, it looked like I had another half inch on the ground by 1:20 am when I came in and it was really starting to pour down. Hoping I can get to 8-9" - looks like a few more hours of at least 1" per hour rates. Schools closed and work is delayed opening - I'll just work from home, since I don't have any major meetings. Snow is some of the prettiest snow I've ever seen - big flakes, really soft and fluffy.

Surprised at people saying it's snowing more heavily than on 12/26, though - it's been heavy, but definitely not as heavy as that night, when I was getting a consistent 2" per hour with bursts of 3" per hour for many hours in a row.

Just did a 2nd shoveling. Up to 5.0" as of 1:00 am here in northern Middlesex County, meaning I got 1.0" in the past hour (got 1.5" in the previous hour). However, it looked like I had another half inch on the ground by 1:20 am when I came in and it was really starting to pour down. Hoping I can get to 8-9" - looks like a few more hours of at least 1" per hour rates. Schools closed and work is delayed opening - I'll just work from home, since I don't have any major meetings. Snow is some of the prettiest snow I've ever seen - big flakes, really soft and fluffy.

Surprised at people saying it's snowing more heavily than on 12/26, though - it's been heavy, but definitely not as heavy as that night, when I was getting a consistent 2" per hour with bursts of 3" per hour for many hours in a row.

The average person (and even some airport observers, I've noticed) get confused between "big flakes" and "heavy snow", thinking one is synonymous with the other.

The average person (and even some airport observers, I've noticed) get confused between "big flakes" and "heavy snow", thinking one is synonymous with the other.

The rates here IMBY have definitely exceeded the rates I got from 12/26 because I was on the western fringes of the very heavy band from the 12/26 storm. I'm probably wouldn't say that if I lived in Middlesex or Union counties.

Archived