amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
PHL Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

blue sky

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar totals further north in Bangor, Pa. Noticed the 8" report out of Belividere on the Mt. Holly PNS. Quite a gradient.

Yes, I also saw a report on another site of 6" in Nazareth, but seems like most of us in Northampton County had 4-5". btw, nice little snow shower going on right now, maybe a quick coating?

Finally getting chance to report some obs here in NW Philly...

We finished up here at 4.5 ". It apparently did a nice dump after I went to bed but was no comparison to 12/26.

Current obs:

Temp = 31.8 F

Winds out of the W / WSW and moderate (gusts have really picked up in the last half hour or so)

Overcast with occasional flurries

The wind gusts are blowing the white stuff off the trees and shrubs. Seems some wrap-around blobs are passing over or will pass over the CWA. :thumbsup:

Interesting observation... and it corroborates what many here were reporting overnight: My parents had 7.8" total, 4.0" before midnight and 3.8" after... the portion before midnight melted to 0.34" liquid, a 12:1 ratio. The portion after midnight melted to 0.19" liquid, a 20:1 ratio... overall a 15:1 ratio storm. The final runs of the NAM, GFS and EC were too dry...

Interesting observation... and it corroborates what many here were reporting overnight: My parents had 7.8" total, 4.0" before midnight and 3.8" after... the portion before midnight melted to 0.34" liquid, a 12:1 ratio. The portion after midnight melted to 0.19" liquid, a 20:1 ratio... overall a 15:1 ratio storm. The final runs of the NAM, GFS and EC were too dry...

I said last night we were getting thumped over a 2 hour period. some of the best snow I have seen in awhile. :thumbsup:

12.5:1 ratio here. I noticed that heated gauges do very well in events where the wind is not excessive, like this one. If the wind is excessive, then forget it.

Hey guys, I got home at 1PM today, and consistently measured 9-9.5" in northern Holmdel. That was about 7 hours after snow stopped falling and it was sitting in the sun all day so not sure how much, if at all, it compacted. my snowpack is back over a foot including the glacier underneath the fresh stuff.

Seasonal total through 1/12 is now 36.2"

12.5:1 ratio here. I noticed that heated gauges do very well in events where the wind is not excessive, like this one. If the wind is excessive, then forget it.

It depends. Sometimes the heated gauges do better than other times, but not necessarily due to wind. TTN ASOS's heated tipping bucket only recorded 0.27", about half what my parents melted down.

It depends. Sometimes the heated gauges do better than other times, but not necessarily due to wind. TTN ASOS's heated tipping bucket only recorded 0.27", about half what my parents melted down.

ray is there any other way to do the liquid of the snow if u dont have the cocorahs gauge; Or should i just buy one?

Flizzard just ended and another one is headed this way in NW Philly. Pretty unsettled out there so these bursts will probably be on and off all afternoon and into the evening.

Temp 30.2 F and falling

Winds light - moderate out of the West and the winds are just now picking up again

Literally saw 2 flocks of Canada geese heading due South about 10 minutes ago in 2 V formations ahead of the next blob coming in! :lmao:

Wonder if they only end up landing along the Schuylkill and the river drives where the rest of them live all year. :axe::P

EDIT: Holy cow, this flizzard is much stronger. This may actually lay some stuff down! Temp dropped to 29.8 F.

yea i may go down that road, even though i have a davis vantage pro2 plus. I want to be able to do the snow liquid. Though, it may jinx us now if i get it lol...How much did it cost 20-25?

Yea, around 25 bucks+shipping...I have an OS wm968 not the best but for now it'll have to do. However, its rain gauge is not accurate.

Archived