northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ERN CONUS/WRN ATLC EVOLUTION TUE ONWARD...PREFERENCE: NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN COMPROMISE WITH SOMEINPUT FROM LATEST RUC RUNSWITH THE WAVE OFF THE SERN COAST THE NAM/GFS SFC ANALYSES AREABOUT 2 MB WEAKER THAN OBSERVED. BASED ON BOUNDARY LAYER WINDANALYSES... THE NAM MAY BE A LITTLE SSE OF THE OBSERVED SFC LOWPOSN AND TO A GREATER EXTENT THE GFS APPEARS TO BE INITIALIZED TOOFAR EWD. CONTINUING FROM INITIALIZATION TIME THE GFS REMAINS EWDOF THE NAM FOR THE DURATION OF TIME THAT THE SYSTEM AFFECTS THEEAST COAST. THE 09Z SREF MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF FCSTS VALID AT 12ZVERIFY CLOSEST TO OBSERVED AMONG RECENT GUIDANCE AND THE 12ZCANADIAN REG GEM OFFERS REASONABLE SUPPORT FOR THE NAM SCENARIO. 14Z-15Z RUC RUNS MAY BE A LITTLE WEAK BUT DO OFFER A TRACK WWD OFTHE GFS. AFOREMENTIONED CONSIDERATIONS RECOMMEND A COMPROMISEAMONG THE NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN WITH SOME IDEAS FROM LATESTRUC RUNS ALSO LIKELY PROVING TO BE HELPFUL. THE COMPROMISE OF THESREF MEAN/ECMWF WITH THE NAM ACCOUNTS FOR THE FACT THAT THE NAMLEANS TO THE SLOWER SIDE OF THE NON-GFS GUIDANCE SPREAD DURING WEDINTO WED NIGHT AND SOMETIMES HAS SLOW BIASES....MODEL TREND GRAPHICS AT WWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/HTML2.SHTML......500 MB FORECASTS ATWWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/H5PREF/H5PREF.SHTML...RAUSCH

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

ERN CONUS/WRN ATLC EVOLUTION TUE ONWARD...PREFERENCE: NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN COMPROMISE WITH SOMEINPUT FROM LATEST RUC RUNSWITH THE WAVE OFF THE SERN COAST THE NAM/GFS SFC ANALYSES AREABOUT 2 MB WEAKER THAN OBSERVED. BASED ON BOUNDARY LAYER WINDANALYSES... THE NAM MAY BE A LITTLE SSE OF THE OBSERVED SFC LOWPOSN AND TO A GREATER EXTENT THE GFS APPEARS TO BE INITIALIZED TOOFAR EWD. CONTINUING FROM INITIALIZATION TIME THE GFS REMAINS EWDOF THE NAM FOR THE DURATION OF TIME THAT THE SYSTEM AFFECTS THEEAST COAST. THE 09Z SREF MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF FCSTS VALID AT 12ZVERIFY CLOSEST TO OBSERVED AMONG RECENT GUIDANCE AND THE 12ZCANADIAN REG GEM OFFERS REASONABLE SUPPORT FOR THE NAM SCENARIO. 14Z-15Z RUC RUNS MAY BE A LITTLE WEAK BUT DO OFFER A TRACK WWD OFTHE GFS. AFOREMENTIONED CONSIDERATIONS RECOMMEND A COMPROMISEAMONG THE NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN WITH SOME IDEAS FROM LATESTRUC RUNS ALSO LIKELY PROVING TO BE HELPFUL. THE COMPROMISE OF THESREF MEAN/ECMWF WITH THE NAM ACCOUNTS FOR THE FACT THAT THE NAMLEANS TO THE SLOWER SIDE OF THE NON-GFS GUIDANCE SPREAD DURING WEDINTO WED NIGHT AND SOMETIMES HAS SLOW BIASES....MODEL TREND GRAPHICS AT WWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/HTML2.SHTML......500 MB FORECASTS ATWWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/H5PREF/H5PREF.SHTML...RAUSCH

http://www.hpc.ncep....ons/pmdhmd.html

Looks like he completely discounted the GFS.

Hey Alex! Good enough, haha. Excited to watch this storm blossom. Less than 24 hours until this thing is bombing. Quite a dynamic event, and there will be surprises.

In the office now and I'm already exhausted after the marathon session last night. GFS is off with the coastal already. We're going with a NAM/ECMWF blend.

In the office now and I'm already exhausted after the marathon session last night. GFS is off with the coastal already. We're going with a NAM/ECMWF blend.

Looks like an amazing amount of qpf for such a short time, it will be a horrendous if not impossible commute tomorrow. :(

Eh, I guess I'll take it:

hrw-nmm_eus_036_precip_p36.gif

Nah, not enough, it would be nicer if the QPF was in the yellow shading instead, lol. Incredible how close those purples are to the eastern most tip of NE NJ. 5 miles may actually make a significant difference. What an incredible storm this is going to be.

I think that is a good bet. The fact the GFS ensemble is W of its own op is a head scratcher--surprised the GFS still can't catch on. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though since the GFS has lagged since day 5-6.

Nah, not enough, it would be nicer if the QPF was in the yellow shading instead, lol. Incredible how close those purples are to the eastern most tip of NE NJ. 5 miles may actually make a significant difference. What an incredible storm this is going to be.

dbc, I hope we can get in it, I believe we will. Reminds me of February 2006 on the ARW/NMM.

If this storm has so much potential with QPF and snow depths, why are the NYC media outletsdownplaying it as not comparable to 12/26?

I think a lot of folks discounted the mesoscale non-hydrostatic threats and went more inline with global guidance a couple days ago which was way E and weaker--and now they are catching up.

Folks meaning media outlets.

Looks like an amazing amount of qpf for such a short time, it will be a horrendous if not impossible commute tomorrow. :(

Will also be an absolutely horrendous day at the airports. Most airlines started letting people switch flights with no penalties yesterday - I was able to move mine to today instead of tomorrow - thankfully!

This is the 2nd bomb I will miss. I was in VT over the Boxing Day storm, I'll be in Dallas as of tonight. My next trip is Feb 5 - pencil that in for another big hit. :whistle:

Even if those numbers are slighly overdone... consider ~1.65" QPF for western LI on average with a 10-1 ratio. That's 16.5" in twelve hours. Take that map as is and get 20-30" with locally higher amounts. Take the same ~1.65" QPF and shift in ten miles to the west over Bergen County where ratios are probably more like 12-1 or 14-1 and get 20-24" with locally higher amounts. Quite incredible for such a fast moving system.

dbc, I hope we can get in it, I believe we will. Reminds me of February 2006 on the ARW/NMM.

Perhaps, with the biggest QPF numbers just a tad east of that storm. We shall see.

If that map verifies, it would be interesting to stand at Twombly Landing which is the most NE spot of NJ marked by a name on a map and then go over to Alpine just west of there and see what the differences would be, lol.

What is Upton doing. I am 20 miles due west of NYC and this is my local forecast:

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 8pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. East wind 5 to 13 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow, mainly before 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. Northwest wind between 11 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

And we have a WSW for 8 to 14. How does that make any sense?

Archived