• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Storm Pics from across the south

DixieBlizzard

Great pics everybody! It's awesome that so many in the south got to experience it. and...

Well here is the danger of melting ice first hand. This was taking at my work from the CC security camera. The guy who this happened to said it was solid ice:

It fell from the green awning:

You can bet that if that much ice about fell on my head I'd be a LOT less cool in the aftermath

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: that is hysterical

the neighborhood is hiring a private contractor to try and dig us out (just met with a few neighbors in the yard surveying the glacier that used to be our front yards). city and county cant do it - hopefully we will be out tomorrow!

Man that is unbelievable but hilarious. Did you ever think that was possible in georgia?

I finally was able to get out of my driveway today for the first time. I had a hell of a time getting all the snow and ice off the vehicles though. It was awesome :D:snowman:

So after I did I drove around and it was interesting seeing where some areas had noticably less snow yet a few miles down the road it was a lot more. Took a bunch of pictures of it but haven't uploaded them yet. I wish I could have gotten out of my driveway and take some pictures of these places before the melting started. The melting isn't consistent..some areas have a lot more than others. Fortunately, my location is one that has more..in fact quite a bit more compared to some areas which surprised me a little bit.

Still some bad spots, even on some of the larger roads. One road in particular near my house was really bad and I was sliding really bad and almost lost it. I got a kick out of seeing huge snow boulders on the side of the road though. Some of these spots are going to be really bad in the morning because in a number of spots, there was a ton of water running across the road from the snow that was scraped up on the side. That is going to be slick as grease in the morning.

The most amazing thing to me today though was the blinding sun. It was reflecting off the ice and it was so bright I literally couldn't look at it.

What a great storm. Too many things about this storm that was been awesome to even list :D

Well here is the danger of melting ice first hand. This was taking at my work from the CC security camera. The guy who this happened to said it was solid ice:

LOL!!! Burger this is awesome.... I love how at the end of the clip he is just standing there not moving. I'm sure he is thinking "oh $% I 6 inches closer and I was a dead man"

LOL!

Here are a few a shot mid to late this afternoon.

Lookout. Seems like it was a rough day to be cow. Is that snow completely glazed over? When I was in middle/high school I did a lot of work on a farm in SW VA during some extremely cold winters. The light on the well went out one night. W/ below 0 F temps, my Dad and I had to thaw the pipes that led back to the barn. Good times...but very cold. We would spend a lot of time breaking the ice in the troughs. Great pics by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lakLxzpxtxc

It fell from the green awning:

post-119-0-16760400-1294957828.jpg

Amazing! Had the ice hanging ever so precariously from my house's roof too. It was overhanging about 8 inches so the first night after the storm I knocked it all off the roof. Very therapeutic.

Where are you lookout?

Anyway this was in Atlanta:

I'm a few miles from carlton, northeast of athens..formally known as the lookout screw zone lol. Since there has been a sudden but consistent change in getting hit pretty hard as of late, I'm trying to come up with a new name. Some ideas are the lookout lucky zone, the lookout jackpot zone, or maybe the lookout..it's about damn time I got snow zone. :lol:

I'm hesitant to change it though because I'm afraid I'll jinx it big time and the screwzone will come back not only in full force but with a vengeance :arrowhead:

Lookout. Seems like it was a rough day to be cow. Is that snow completely glazed over? When I was in middle/high school I did a lot of work on a farm in SW VA during some extremely cold winters. The light on the well went out one night. W/ below 0 F temps, my Dad and I had to thaw the pipes that led back to the barn. Good times...but very cold. We would spend a lot of time breaking the ice in the troughs. Great pics by the way.

Thanks. Yeah, there has been a layer of ice 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick on the snow all week, even during the middle of the afternoon. Although today, there is finally some cracks in the snow's armor and there is some good melting going on in the fields (but still slower than normal, especially considering the temp is 37) They probably haven't had much fun. They have pretty much spent all their time around the barn where my uncle puts the hay out. Interestingly, the rest of the time they have been staying in the woods. I have never seen them to do this before and I've been around cows all my life.

I help him from time to time, especially on fixing/redoing fences, getting up hay in the warm months, etc and there has been times when it's not been fun due to the weather but overall it's not bad at all...certainly nothing like what you experienced lol. He still prefers to use the square bales and working on picking up hay and putting it in the barn is absolutely brutal because of the heat and humidity that seems to peak on the day we have to load it up and put it in there :axe:

I'm a few miles from carlton, northeast of athens..formally known as the lookout screw zone lol. Since there has been a sudden but consistent change in getting hit pretty hard as of late, I'm trying to come up with a new name. Some ideas are the lookout lucky zone, the lookout jackpot zone, or maybe the lookout..it's about damn time I got snow zone. :lol:

I'm hesitant to change it though because I'm afraid I'll jinx it big time and the screwzone will come back not only in full force but with a vengeance :arrowhead:

i vote for that one lol. i did get out - and its wild. everything is still covered, even roads, but at least people are slowly getting out and about. the sheen of ice on teh snow is still amaing - most other places i have lived get snow, but not usually ice. so seeing this much ice on this much snow is very unusual - and awesome lol

36 and melting, but sure is doing it slowly. judging by the water on the roads, i would imagine another black ice night on the streets

i vote for that one lol. i did get out - and its wild. everything is still covered, even roads, but at least people are slowly getting out and about. the sheen of ice on teh snow is still amaing - most other places i have lived get snow, but not usually ice. so seeing this much ice on this much snow is very unusual - and awesome lol

36 and melting, but sure is doing it slowly. judging by the water on the roads, i would imagine another black ice night on the streets

lol..yeah it has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

It really has been truly remarkable how much this layer of ice has helped keep the snow around. This snow would have been mostly gone by now if not for it. Even those days we were only 31 to 34, it would have been zapped...especially in the fields because this was a dry snow and it melts incredibly fast. I saw all of it, 5 or 6 inches, melt in one day last winter so 5 days of snow in the field is absolutely astonishing because it normally melts so quick there. (normally it's mostly gone the next day, 2 tops). There is finally some good melting going on there today though but there is still a good bit left and it won't all melt despite temps in the upper 30s and full sun. It's not melted at all in my yard though. Even with the warmer temps this weekend, I don't expect the snow to be gone until sometime early next week. Truly remarkable.

I love it though. I never get tired of walking out and seeing everything coated in white. :thumbsup::snowman:

lol..yeah it has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

It really has been truly remarkable how much this layer of ice has helped keep the snow around. This snow would have been mostly gone by now if not for it. Even those days we were only 31 to 34, it would have been zapped...especially in the fields because this was a dry snow and it melts incredibly fast. I saw all of it, 5 or 6 inches, melt in one day last winter so 5 days of snow in the field is absolutely astonishing because it normally melts so quick there. (normally it's mostly gone the next day, 2 tops). There is finally some good melting going on there today though but there is still a good bit left and it won't all melt despite temps in the upper 30s and full sun. It's not melted at all in my yard though. Even with the warmer temps this weekend, I don't expect the snow to be gone until sometime early next week. Truly remarkable.

I love it though. I never get tired of walking out and seeing everything coated in white. :thumbsup::snowman:

lol - very true! its wild looking out the windows and all you still see is white. i dont think its going to all melt until early next week either - which will also be interesting if we get rain in the mid 30s....can you say slushy mess lol.

Just to show the staying power this snow had at my house here a few pics from the 10th, the 15th, and the 17th. Amazing to have snow cover for 8 days in Chattanooga.

Good snow for Chattanooga.

SonyCameraDump01112011107-1.jpg

Me and the wife

SonyCameraDump01112011150.jpg.

The initial onslaught of snow

SonyCameraDump01112011117.jpg

Still snow on the 15th

SonyCameraDump01112011159.jpg.

And finally today the 17th. Still hanging around

SonyCameraDump01112011168.jpg

lol - very true! its wild looking out the windows and all you still see is white. i dont think its going to all melt until early next week either - which will also be interesting if we get rain in the mid 30s....can you say slushy mess lol.

It sure is. You keep expecting not to see it but bam there is again lol

I tell you though it's been fascinating watching it hang on. The snow/ice has been refreezing while the actual air 3 or 4 feet of the ground is way above freezing. Yesterday in the late afternoon when the sun got low, despite a temp in the mid 40s after a high of 57, the snow/ice refroze. This has puzzled me because one would think the temp of the snow pack has gotten close enough to 32 that actual refreezing in temps that high would not happen.

However, I'm assuming it's because the temp of the snow/ice is low enough that the micro evaparotional cooling on top of the ice is causing it to refreezing. Dps up until now have been below freezing so I'm assuming that is what is helping. I have been having a sensor laying on top of the snow and while it was 45 on my regular one, it was 31.3 on the one laying on the snow. I've been watching this for days and it's Very cool to watch everything refreeze in such high temps.

As for melting, most of the snow in the open field is finally gone. But large sections that are protected some by the trees remain snow covered. Snow is also widespread in the woods...and of course in my front yard. It is slowly starting to melt on the edges and where we have stepped but overall it's still in tact. 8 days in a row of snow on the ground and it will be there tomorrow for sure..it's almost impossible to believe. There is a decent shot we make it to 10 days depending on how much rain we get.

Gaffney peach, don't you dare complain about the snow still being there now..that's blasphemy around these parts :P;)

But amazingly there is still spots of snow on my road too. Which is maybe even more incredible than anything.

Archived