• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion Part Two

NickD2011

As with our big blizzard and many events...as far as getting these 15-20" amounts. They are never really out of the question with a juicy system, as you said. If the system comes together, many factors come in to play but 15" amounts are NOT hard to get. They even got that in CT with the norlun trough event

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love how everyone loves and hugs the NAM when it shows big stuff and then when it does not stuff about how the 18z run is to be ignored and its been flip flopping, if this run came in line with previous runs everyone would be applauding and saying how its consistent with the euro. Just be objective about these runs not just when it shows what you want. For this storm we are in the game, the question is how much. Still alot of waffling on the models between a 8-12 incher and a 3-6

The fact that the ECM has so much QPF is a warning siren for me...it is usually paltry at this range with precip. When the ECM is throwing out that much QPF, you know we're talking about a very juicy system with a STJ/Gulf connection and lots of dynamics. That's why some people are calling for 12-18" in NYC metro, and not unreasonably in my mind. I'm still going a bit more conservative and thinking 8-12" is a nice forecast as of now, but with time to update.

thats very true the ecm usually takes a little bit to increase qpf but the tsp of the subtropical jet and the gulf and the atlantic eventually is gonna certainly increase the snowfall totals when this storm gets really cranking. the nam should not be considered as reliable model for this storm as of yet.

The fact that the ECM has so much QPF is a warning siren for me...it is usually paltry at this range with precip. When the ECM is throwing out that much QPF, you know we're talking about a very juicy system with a STJ/Gulf connection and lots of dynamics. That's why some people are calling for 12-18" in NYC metro, and not unreasonably in my mind. I'm still going a bit more conservative and thinking 8-12" is a nice forecast as of now, but with time to update.

The funny thing is that the NAM has a very similar 500mb to the last 2 runs and the Euro, but has a different solution. Who knows, this could be a feedback issue again.

while the nam only has around .5 for NYC metro as Nzucker said it would be on the colder side of things with better ratios and snow would still be plentiful albeit in the 6-10 range as opposed to 12-18 the 12z NAM was painting, that is, if it is correct. Which I doubt...

nam does not reach .5 in nyc metro... its .25 to .50 so unless we had incredible ratios i think you are looking at a 3-6 event with possibility of 8 inches the farthest east

Exactly...the NAM isn't the model for synoptic evolution of storms...you only start looking seriously at the NAM when you're within 36 hours to try to figure out banding/ratios/p-type. People are freaking out for nothing. I have been saying this for the past two days about how bad the NAM is at this range, but no one seems to listen.

i thought the NAM was pretty good inside 48 hours but i didn't know it was not good with "storm evolution"

Exactly...the NAM isn't the model for synoptic evolution of storms...you only start looking seriously at the NAM when you're within 36 hours to try to figure out banding/ratios/p-type. People are freaking out for nothing. I have been saying this for the past two days about how bad the NAM is at this range, but no one seems to listen.

Nobody is freaking out, I am just stating the facts. The NAM is not as amplified as it's 12z run, and doesn't give NYC .5" liquid. There's nothing else to it. I never said anything about how I think the storm will evolve.

I don't see people flip flopping. I think hpc and the boards prefered solution is the euro. Very consistant for many runs in a row now.....nam has been flipping all over the place per usual this season. Its a good model inside 48hrs to pinpoint heaviest precip-can and probably should b discounted in the timeframe and that's been true all yr

Bastardi 3 PM UPDATE -

"In the big cities.. 3-6 around DC, and toward BWI, increasing to 6-12 PHL and then averaging 12 around NYC with local amounts 18. The -8 and -3 isotherms will play ratio games with this storm and the western cut off wont be as sharp, though I dont think the city will get the amount they did with the blizzard, Once to PVD and Boston look out.. 12-18 locally 24.. Its a classic. "

nam does not reach .5 in nyc metro... its .25 to .50 so unless we had incredible ratios i think you are looking at a 3-6 event with possibility of 8 inches the farthest east

NYC gets about .45" QPF on the 18z NAM; ratios are going to approach 15:1 if the low is that far offshore and NYC gets into good banding, so we're probably talking about a 6-8" event with higher amounts in eastern LI and SNE. This is irrelevant anyway since the NAM is a sucky model.

i thought the NAM was pretty good inside 48 hours but i didn't know it was not good with "storm evolution"

The NAM often has weird tracks to surface lows at this range, and it likes to alternate between insane amounts of QPF and a total dryslot...it's not to be used for synoptic forecasting, and this system is more than 48 hours away anyway. The most important model, right now, is the ECM and its ensembles...which shows a great hit.

You just seem to be putting a lot of faith in NAM/SREF guidance, which doesn't seem wise at this range. I'm plenty happen to forecast using a blend of the ECM, ECM ENS, and GFS...all of these show 6-12" for NYC, which is the range expected for this type of Miller B. I'm just surprised you appear so worried about what looks to be a good snowstorm. Of course, being further SW in NJ, perhaps you're not in as ideal a position as those of us who live north of the City.

I never said that..in fact last night when I did a forecast I completely discounted the NAM solution :lol:

Oh, the great NAM which depicted Philly getting .40 QPF from Saturdays storm 18 hours out, 6 hours later it showed .1....This model has struggled all year. As you can see just minor changes on how deep the shortwave in the midwest digs determines how fast this storm develops and how west...

I never said that..in fact last night when I did a forecast I completely discounted the NAM solution :lol:

yeah it seem the hpc and mt holly discounted it also...i dont understand why people put so much stock into it outside 48 hrs.......looks like a nice warnning snowfall coming....not going to be a boxing day storm...but a very good storm....

yeah it seem the hpc and mt holly discounted it also...i dont understand why people put so much stock into it outside 48 hrs.......looks like a nice warnning snowfall coming....not going to be a boxing day storm...but a very good storm....

Yeah, Tim. It would crazy to expect the Boxing Day totals with this, the dynamics and those crazy bands simply aren't there with this one.

I am going to say 8-12" for most of the NYC metro area. That's a very good event regardless.

I'm seeing the posts are getting imbyish, so when we reach 1,000 replies, I may split it back up into seperate regions.

hmm then we have to go back and forth again from one thread to the other when the model runs come out for the play by play due to the fact that nobody uses the general forum anymore for that. So as long as everyone follows the 'storm mode' rules and it is enforced by the mods, then we shouldn't have an issue keeping the combined thread like this. Makes it much easier to follow along. Thanks Rib.

I'm seeing the posts are getting imbyish, so when we reach 1,000 replies, I may split it back up into seperate regions.

Well first off, weather is very geographically oriented, so it's only natural for the IMBY posts. I don't think you will ever really eliminate them unless you ban 90% of the membership. Second, as we get closer to the actual event, it seems to be clear that while there won't be as severe a western gradient with this storm, the winners are once again likely going to be NNJ, NYC, and SNE.

Archived