northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion Part Two

NickD2011

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you thinking the two storms phase sooner then the models are predicting. If they do this would it pull the storm more west, so would you have to worry about mixing or would it bomb out and pull in the cold.

yes too soon and it would pull it to the west and the coast will have p-type issues. the key with this storm is to have it get going as quick as possible after the transfer to te coast. the quicker it bombs the lower the temps get and the more precip the areas south of new england will see. the nam showed a solution like this that gave philly to boston a mecs and the gfs bombs out and gives new england a pounding and wasnt as big for the big cities. the storm is no where near being locked in yet though. by 0z tonight both euro/gfs runs "should" have a better idea about this storm

This run is going to be great for us..PHL north I believe. It is far enough out before it hooks back in to prevent precip type issues for long island most likely. Add to that the fact that the heaviest banding usually occurs JUST to the WEST of where the heaviest QPF is shown

18z NAM. Nuff said!!

The Euro strengthened the hit for us and that's really what I wanted to see.

Exactly...the NAM isn't the model for synoptic evolution of storms...you only start looking seriously at the NAM when you're within 36 hours to try to figure out banding/ratios/p-type. People are freaking out for nothing. I have been saying this for the past two days about how bad the NAM is at this range, but no one seems to listen.

18z NAM. Nuff said!!

The Euro strengthened the hit for us and that's really what I wanted to see.

People are always too quick to throw out the 18z models. They are not quite as accurate, but I've seen many times where trends started on them. I think we're gonna have a nice event here, but 12z NAM was overdone.

Dynamics and UVV's are much slower to develop...not what we wanted to see so far.

Why does this matter? 12z NAM was a joke and gave us like three feet of snow. This model clearly has no idea what it's doing, shifting around each run crazily, and is not up to the gold standard of ECM/GFS. The NAM is not meant for these purposes.

People are always too quick to throw out the 18z models. They are not quite as accurate, but I've seen many times where trends started on them. I think we're gonna have a nice event here, but 12z NAM was overdone.

It probably was overdone, but the NAM's been flopping around for the past 24 hours, and should likely be taken very cautiously for that reason. The Euro and GFS plus their ensembles holding steady and even strengthening the storm is much more telling.

It probably was overdone, but the NAM's been flopping around for the past 24 hours, and should likely be taken very cautiously for that reason. The Euro and GFS plus their ensembles holding steady and even strengthening the storm is much more telling.

The fact that the ECM has so much QPF is a warning siren for me...it is usually paltry at this range with precip. When the ECM is throwing out that much QPF, you know we're talking about a very juicy system with a STJ/Gulf connection and lots of dynamics. That's why some people are calling for 12-18" in NYC metro, and not unreasonably in my mind. I'm still going a bit more conservative and thinking 8-12" is a nice forecast as of now, but with time to update.

The fact that the ECM has so much QPF is a warning siren for me...it is usually paltry at this range with precip. When the ECM is throwing out that much QPF, you know we're talking about a very juicy system with a STJ/Gulf connection and lots of dynamics. That's why some people are calling for 12-18" in NYC metro, and not unreasonably in my mind. I'm still going a bit more conservative and thinking 8-12" is a nice forecast as of now, but with time to update.

I think you hit the nail on the head.. Bottom line is that right now this is a 6-12" event.. As are most storms until they come into the 24-36 hour time frame..

Archived