northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion Part Two

NickD2011

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt it unless things change. It's bombing out but it's too far northeast for me. Somebody in New England is going to come in with absolutely prolific amounts.

Agreed, the models dont really get the storm bombing out until its too late for places sw of NYC. Thats not to say they wont see warning criteria snow, but the Jackpot will most likely be somewhere in SE NE

trying to figure out how Reading gets more than Philly, Allentown, and Newark on the GFS. Anybody know why?

RDG gets .32 total qpf most of that precip falls with snow ratios at 18:1 and 21:1

ABE gets .34 total qpf but a good chunk of it (.146) occurs with a snow ratio of 15:1 before higher ratios kick in

PHL get .32 qpf ratios for most of the storm are 17:1

EWR get .53 qpf .165 of that falls as ice and ratios are mostly lower than 17:1

I wouldn't exactly call a foot of snow getting screwed. Now if you had 3 inches and 5 miles to the east had 2ft that I would call screwed.

Hate to be a pain in the azz, but for us Red Headed stepsons up here in NW NJ. What do you se for kfwn (sussex) about .60"? got screwed with the Blizz here, had 12.8 and 5 miles to my east had 22" :arrowhead:

Doubt it unless things change. It's bombing out but it's too far northeast for me. Somebody in New England is going to come in with absolutely prolific amounts.

what if the euro comes in 30 miles more west again at 00z like it did today? the jackpot is much closer then we think. I think the whole eastern half of NJ on northeast into new england is going to be in for it. 12z euro today trended towards a slightly earlier capture and the low got tugged alittle bit west of 00z..

This is a very tricky set-up with the earlier capture or later capture scenario and resultant higher or lower QPF for certain areas, but the Euro and GFS are almost similar just more QPF from the Euro, with higher totals reaching western areas a little more. If the capture and CCB development happens earlier then many more people will be happy, which is still a possibility.

This is a very tricky set-up with the earlier capture or later capture scenario and resultant higher or lower QPF for certain areas, but the Euro and GFS are almost similar just more QPF from the Euro, with higher totals reaching western areas a little more. If the capture and CCB development happens earlier then many more people will be happy, which is still a possibility.

A little something to hold on to:

The Euro does have a higher resolution compared to the GFS, which I would think would be quite substantial with this kind of storm. I'm not sure though on average how much better the euro is in this range when compared to the GFS.

It doesn't look like a pleasant night in the deep south.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS

1245 PM CST SUN JAN 9 2011

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH TONIGHT...

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING ALONG THE GULF COAST THIS AFTERNOON AND

TONIGHT WILL COMBINE WITH VERY COLD AND INITIALLY DRY AIR ACROSS THE

REGION TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD WINTRY PRECIPITATION ACROSS NORTHEAST

LOUISIANA...SOUTHEAST ARKANSAS...AND MUCH OF MISSISSIPPI.

ARZ074-075-LAZ007>009-015-016-023>026-MSZ018-019-025>066-100245-

/O.CON.KJAN.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-110110T1200Z/

ASHLEY-CHICOT-MOREHOUSE-WEST CARROLL-EAST CARROLL-RICHLAND-

MADISON LA-FRANKLIN LA-CATAHOULA-TENSAS-CONCORDIA-BOLIVAR-

SUNFLOWER-LEFLORE-GRENADA-CARROLL-MONTGOMERY-WEBSTER-CLAY-LOWNDES-

CHOCTAW-OKTIBBEHA-WASHINGTON-HUMPHREYS-HOLMES-ATTALA-WINSTON-

NOXUBEE-ISSAQUENA-SHARKEY-YAZOO-MADISON MS-LEAKE-NESHOBA-KEMPER-

WARREN-HINDS-RANKIN-SCOTT-NEWTON-LAUDERDALE-CLAIBORNE-COPIAH-

SIMPSON-SMITH-JASPER-CLARKE-JEFFERSON-ADAMS-FRANKLIN MS-LINCOLN-

LAWRENCE-JEFFERSON DAVIS-COVINGTON-JONES-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CROSSETT...NORTH CROSSETT...HAMBURG...

WEST CROSSETT...DERMOTT...LAKE VILLAGE...EUDORA...BASTROP...

OAK GROVE...EPPS...LAKE PROVIDENCE...RAYVILLE...DELHI...

TALLULAH...WINNSBORO...JONESVILLE...HARRISONBURG...NEWELLTON...

ST. JOSEPH...WATERPROOF...VIDALIA...FERRIDAY...WEST FERRIDAY...

CLEVELAND...INDIANOLA...RULEVILLE...GREENWOOD...GRENADA...

VAIDEN...NORTH CARROLLTON...CARROLLTON...WINONA...EUPORA...

MABEN...MATHISTON...WEST POINT...COLUMBUS...ACKERMAN...WEIR...

STARKVILLE...GREENVILLE...BELZONI...ISOLA...DURANT...TCHULA...

LEXINGTON...PICKENS...GOODMAN...KOSCIUSKO...LOUISVILLE...MACON...

BROOKSVILLE...MAYERSVILLE...ROLLING FORK...ANGUILLA...

YAZOO CITY...RIDGELAND...MADISON...CANTON...CARTHAGE...

PHILADELPHIA...PEARL RIVER...DE KALB...SCOOBA...VICKSBURG...

JACKSON...PEARL...BRANDON...RICHLAND...FOREST...MORTON...NEWTON...

UNION...DECATUR...CONEHATTA...MERIDIAN...PORT GIBSON...

CRYSTAL SPRINGS...HAZLEHURST...WESSON...MAGEE...MENDENHALL...

TAYLORSVILLE...RALEIGH...BAY SPRINGS...HEIDELBERG...QUITMAN...

STONEWALL...SHUBUTA...FAYETTE...NATCHEZ...BUDE...ROXIE...

MEADVILLE...BROOKHAVEN...MONTICELLO...NEW HEBRON...PRENTISS...

BASSFIELD...COLLINS...MOUNT OLIVE...LAUREL

1245 PM CST SUN JAN 9 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST MONDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST MONDAY.

* TIMING: PRECIPITATION MOSTLY IN THE FORM OF HEAVY SNOW MIXED WITH

SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH

TONIGHT. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD END FROM THE WEST BETWEEN

MIDNIGHT IN THE WEST TO 6 AM IN THE EAST LATE TONIGHT.

* MAIN IMPACT: FOR AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF A BASTROP LOUISIANA TO

KOSCIUSKO TO MACON LINE...SNOW...MIXED WITH SLEET SHOULD BECOME ALL

SNOW FROM LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT WITH 6 TO 10 INCHES OF

SNOW LIKELY IN THESE AREAS NORTHWARD. FARTHER SOUTH...ALONG THE

INTERSTATE 20 CORRIDOR OF AND AS FAR SOUTH AS A WISNER LOUISIANA TO

PORT GIBSON TO LAUREL MISSISSIPPI LINE...A MIX OF SLEET AND

FREEZING RAIN CHANGING TO MOSTLY FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO

PRODUCE ICING OF ONE QUARTER TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH. THE

HEAVIER ICING APPEARS THAT IT WILL STAY NORTH OF THE HIGHWAY 84

CORRIDOR. ANY SNOW THAT FALLS ON THIS ICE LATE TONIGHT WILL PUT

ADDED WEIGHT TO TREES CAUSING SOME LIMBS TO FALL OR SAG ONTO POWER

LINES. ROADWAYS WILL LIKELY BECOME TREACHEROUS AND TRAVEL WILL BE

VERY DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: BRISK EAST TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF 10 TO 25 MPH ARE

EXPECTED TONIGHT. THIS COULD COMBINE WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF WET SNOW

OR ICE TO RESULT IN MORE TREE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE. TEMPERATURES

DIPPING INTO THE MIDDLE AND UPPER 20S WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY WIND

CHILLS IN THE MIDDLE TEENS. CONDITIONS SHOULD BEGIN IMPROVING

AFTER MIDDAY MONDAY BUT LOCATIONS WITH SNOW COVER WILL STRUGGLE TO

REACH THE FREEZING MARK.

Do U think 0Z tonight and/or 12Z tomorrow can come in even stronger(aka Low Forming and bombing earlier) Like I wrote in another post I think Tonight is the Timeframe(48 hrs) where the 12/26 storm really exploded on the model runs..

Do U think 0Z tonight and/or 12Z tomorrow can come in even stronger(aka Low Forming and bombing earlier) Like I wrote in another post I think Tonight is the Timeframe(48 hrs) where the 12/26 storm really exploded on the model runs..

yes it is the timeframe and the trends today have been very promising for the coastal areas of the ec. this model performance is very similar to the boxing day blizzard in that the key global models started giving the southern wave more strength and the correct phase and not letting it slide ots like their previous runs. every storm is different though as are the models, but one thing i've noticed this winter season is the models not forecasting the southern stream properly till inside 60 hours of the storm then changing the tune of the track and the qpf. tonight 0z run will be very telling of where this storm is headed and 0z euro as well.

yes it is the timeframe and the trends today have been very promising for the coastal areas of the ec. this model performance is very similar to the boxing day blizzard in that the key global models started giving the southern wave more strength and the correct phase and not letting it slide ots like their previous runs. every storm is different though as are the models, but one thing i've noticed this winter season is the models not forecasting the southern stream properly till inside 60 hours of the storm then changing the tune of the track and the qpf. tonight 0z run will be very telling of where this storm is headed and 0z euro as well.

So are you thinking the two storms phase sooner then the models are predicting. If they do this would it pull the storm more west, so would you have to worry about mixing or would it bomb out and pull in the cold.

I created an account just to thank everyone here for providing so much information on these storms. I am learning a lot and enjoying the debates. In particular I'd like to thank Tombo for the outstanding pbp... Each model run is like experiencing another storm and nearly as fun as the storm itself! The tension and suspence has me glued to my various electronic devices...refresh, refresh, refresh! Ok, back to lurking...

Just got up from working all night, can somebody give me a quick rundown on today's models? My normal updaters aren't on today, lol.

euro held steady, looks good

gfs a lil drier but decent hit, esp NE of you.

basically were looking at a general 6-10 in swatch from PHIL to NYC 10+ NYC to LI ....

EDIT: forgot what the nam showed. ukie i believe is decent.

sorry i cant be more discriptive....im kinda fried right now.:guitar:

basically were looking at a general 6-10 in swatch from PHIL to NYC 10+ NYC to LI ....

Good deal, anything but a coastal hugger with mixing issues is a plus to me right now. The exacts can get worked out later.

Most of DE is between 0.50 and 0.60" QPF

The Euro runs the 0.5" QPF line from N/S along the DE/MD border.

Thanks earthlight & YoRyz :thumbsup:

Ok enough with the "How much for me?" posts. Use the banter thread or your local thread to ask that, thanks.

I think there's only a few of us on here from DE (probably less than 10), and there is no local thread for DE. Without getting caught up in the doom and gloom between one Regional thread to another (ie... DC-vs-PHL-vs-NYC= BS) , is it possible that the few of us that are here can get updates in the model threads? If not I understand, thats not what these threads are mean't to be, however, there really is no "banter" thread between the few DE members that we do have, we just tend to piggyback off the MA/ PH/ NY threads?

EDIT: forgot what the nam showed. ukie i believe is decent.

sorry i cant be more discriptive....im kinda fried right now.:guitar:

I'd back off those totals a little bit...

Archived