EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 3

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the start time. Going to cause issues for schools and a program I have Monday afternoon. gesh.

But screw it!!

I would love to see this trend continue into the 06 runs.

This run has you and I with about 2" already by 7 AM Monday, so it begins pre-dawn. I'd honstly rather have it start right after midnight, to lock in the coldest possible temps and then wake up to a winter wonderland. As opposed to have it begin at daybreak .

Looks like ole frosty may be looking out the south window dreaming of snow ? lol Shows a little more here but i'm not the least bit excited for here.

Youll find a way. I still think you can get 3-6 and all snow. Trust me when I tell you in 7-8 days You will own us all. The 18z has another whopper on the horizon and Im gonna sneak a peak to see if its still around on 0z. It literally had about an inch and 1/2 plus of mostly ice ending with snow. Big HP in NE like old days. Anyway I think the pattern first/models second approach will speak the truth more-so once again. What a winter this is turning out to be thanks to the NAO.

I think that the Triad region would be mostly snow until a little freezing drizzle at the end because the 18z sounding was that way and the 0z looks similar. Once you get down to HWY 64, I would hope that sleet would keep the major ice storm away because the surface temps seem to be around 27 for the event and it never goes above freezing through hour 120 (the end of the sounding). Is it too early for someone to say where the sleet will rule and where the ice storm will be? That will probably come down to nowcasting and obs (until the power goes out). The trend is the friend for the GFS for central nc

for MBY on the GFS

6z run - .67

12z - .52

18z - .85

0z - .91

I have a feeling that the GFS will win this battle with the NAM!

This run has you and I with about 2" already by 7 AM Monday, so it begins pre-dawn. I'd honstly rather have it start right after midnight, to lock in the coldest possible temps and then wake up to a winter wonderland. As opposed to have it begin at daybreak .

I remember 88 had the snow falling with temperatures right around 18 or 19...reckon we got a shot at that? It looks close.

Keep that monkey mojo going, we are really close to getting .50 to.60 another move North we are in there. Also I think we are going to see ratios up here of 20:1. I also am looking at the 500mb chart and the storm looks like it is closer to the coast than previous runs. So it might just be a matter of time before the QPF #'s go up.

Looks like ole frosty may be looking out the south window dreaming of snow ? lol Shows a little more here but i'm not the least bit excited for here.

This is a wetter run for NC than the 18z run. These are 72 hour amounts, excluding tonights bustorama amounts that were just model fantasy.

Thru 72 hours it is likely snow for RDU, at 72 hours we reach 0.18C at 850, but it is likely overcome by high rates.

By 78 hours, the warm nose is a bit more pronounced up to 0.83C at 850, so likely a sleet sounding but close enough to make me think snow is possible if the model is just slightly too strong with the warm nose. It is certainly freezing rain by 84 hours.

So taken literally I would see a couple inches of snow, a signficant amount of sleet and certainly some freezing train to end.

Allan or anyone else, is there any scenario now that would yield a mostly snow result for the Triangle area or is that completely off the table at this point? I would think that if the southern stream energy held together better/longer and took a more southerly route, then it would limit the warm nose intrusion? In that case we'd keep more of a Miller A look?

Yea it looks funny. Doesnt add up. Hopefully it isnt the beginning of a trend. Do you think that 00z nam was overdone? I am thinking a happy medium would be the solution for central AL and ATL. 3-6'' with higher amounts where the best banding shows up.

At this point in time I would go between the NAM and GFS on amounts for Birmingham.

Youll find a way. I still think you can get 3-6 and all snow. Trust me when I tell you in 7-8 days You will own us all. The 18z has another whopper on the horizon and Im gonna sneak a peak to see if its still around on 0z. It literally had about an inch and 1/2 plus of mostly ice ending with snow. Big HP in NE like old days. Anyway I think the pattern first/models second approach will speak the truth more-so once again. What a winter this is turning out to be thanks to the NAO.

quit playing with our hearts man, these last two storms are killing Frosty and me down to the last minute, and now you talking more? I am satisfies with 3-6 inches of snow or even ice. I can put out salt for that but if we get nothing then nothing can be done. Looks like we may have to go to Atlanta. Don't think they have much equipment but it would have to be serious money to drive there

Columbia? I havent paid close attention down there for this system except it looks pretty good. How do you look in Metro CLT?

Yeah, it could be really bad down there. 18z GFS had 1.35" QPF down there and 1.32" of it was freezing rain. Charlotte looks like mostly snow before some IP. Probably going to be a huge aviation impact across the two main airports in the south(I dont count FLA as the south).

WW has those in a broad 6-10" range with a couple of hot spots on 10-15 West on Anderson in GA and East and south of 85

The Accuweather maps have 10-12" along a line from wadesboro to york. 8-10" stretches from Salisbury all the way down to the ATL suburbs(or at the very least, lake lanier).

What's do ratios look like when gulf moisture falls through low 20s temps?

Whatever we lose in sleet in the end will be more than made up for with ratios, I would guess.

Re: Ending as snow -- hard to tell -- the 850 line is kind of all over the place between 72 and 84 (reminds me of that scene in Airplane when the guy is checking the "radar range." for Striker.

I remember 88 had the snow falling with temperatures right around 18 or 19...reckon we got a shot at that? It looks close.

What's do ratios look like when gulf moisture falls through low 20s temps?

Whatever we lose in sleet in the end will be more than made up for with ratios, I would guess.

Re: Ending as snow -- hard to tell -- the 850 line is kind of all over the place between 72 and 84 (reminds me of that scene in Airplane when the guy is checking the "radar range." for Striker.

Honestly, I dont know yet but I dont see them being worse than 18z.

if it begin after midnight I'd say so. The 88 storm had strong high pressure to the north, this one isn't as strong but the low levels are plenty cold and the only way we'll warm up at the surface is from latent heat release which won't be much I dont think until the "drizzle" part at the end of our storm. Most if not all would probably be snow I think, unless things trend a little warmer aloft. So far, theyr'e really not. We use up most of our moisture just in the knick of time.

NCSNOW i yield to you, the GFS has really picked up qpf totals for our area but i am still not convinced about the temps yet. all of the models blew it tonight with the clipper. its going to be typical for randolph county. we are right on the line and will either be the jackpot if its cold enough or the screw zone if its not. i am interested in what the euro will say.

quit playing with our hearts man, these last two storms are killing Frosty and me down to the last minute, and now you talking more? I am satisfies with 3-6 inches of snow or even ice. I can put out salt for that but if we get nothing then nothing can be done. Looks like we may have to go to Atlanta. Don't think they have much equipment but it would have to be serious money to drive there

Gainesville (DOT headquarters for N GA it seems like) has a decent number of plows (mainly used for the mountains obviously) and salt/sand stockpiles so we have some capability to clear the snow, but not nearly enough for 6"+ event.

if it begin after midnight I'd say so. The 88 storm had strong high pressure to the north, this one isn't as strong but the low levels are plenty cold and the only way we'll warm up at the surface is from latent heat release which won't be much I dont think until the "drizzle" part at the end of our storm. Most if not all would probably be snow I think, unless things trend a little warmer aloft. So far, theyr'e really not. We use up most of our moisture just in the knick of time.

I just wonder if this will actually start earlier, on Christmas GFS and NAM both pretty much nailed the start time. I almost want it to start a little late since I'll be in work at 5 a.m. on Monday morning.

Yeah, it could be really bad down there. 18z GFS had 1.35" QPF down there and 1.32" of it was freezing rain. Charlotte looks like mostly snow before some IP. Probably going to be a huge aviation impact across the two main airports in the south(I dont count FLA as the south).

Yikes, that sounds worse than the DEc 08 Ice storm I have in NH with 8 days of no power and such. I cant even begin to imagine the aviation delays and cancelations, it is going to be a huge mess for the eastern third of the country IMO.

though not to bad in Memphis on the 0z NAM compared to what the 18z had for your neck of the woods, thats some sick QPF for you

Quite a big difference from MEM to ATL

I don't think that those of us in central nc should be banking on high snow ratios. For a few hours we can have pretty good ratios and fluff factor, but remember that many of us will be changing to sleet/fz. For the last several hours of snow the ratios will go down to 7:1. An inch of liquid will not equal a foot of snow due to other reasons like the dreaded dry slot (usually over Widreman's house), dry air, upper dynamics, lift, etc... Don't take precip and especially snow maps literally!

Archived