christians
    Newest Member
    christians
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 3

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where in the hell is your RED TAG? I love your posts and you bring a lot to the table! Thanks for the write-up a couple of posts ago. Question...this timeframe (as of tonight's 0Z model runs) should be shifting more emphasis to the GFS and NAM anyway. Correct? From a verification/bias standpoint, I hear that the EURO looses its luster from 3 days to showtime. Am I correct with that statement? I always see the EURO pick up on the overall sypnotics berfore any model and then it seems to go haywire within 3 days of the event. I am probably wrong and just have my weenie goggles fogged attm. :thumbsup:

TIA for your thoughts on this!

I think its been said by several mets before, but the main advantage many believe the Euro has over the GFS is in the way it makes its initial analysis of the global atmosphere. Thus when you go out in time from that analysis as errors multiply, the model with the best analysis combined with the primitive equations will end up being more accurate. This advantage normally shows up best in the middle to long range. Within 72 hours, there not really a major discernible advantage the Euro has over the GFS, as least from my experience.

Latest HPC map gives Atlanta at least a 10% probability of 4 or more inches of snow, whereas earlier it was giving Atlanta at least a 70% probability. I wonder if FFC will stick with their forecast of 3-5 inches of snow for Metro Atlanta ?

That is strange actually, not what I would have done. I still think 3-5" is a perfectly reasonable guess for ATL. In fact the 06Z WSI WRF model just came in and has a solid 6" from about ATL north. I have given up on a huge storm, but 4-6" would suit me just fine, and someone could easily get a couple inches more.

That is strange actually, not what I would have done. I still think 3-5" is a perfectly reasonable guess for ATL. In fact the 06Z WSI WRF model just came in and has a solid 6" from about ATL north. I have given up on a huge storm, but 4-6" would suit me just fine, and someone could easily get a couple inches more.

i wonder if they are taking temperature profiles into account? What are your soundings through the event? GSP just changed my grid forecast and have us as snow for Sun night thru Monday evening, then a change over to sn/ip and then tapering to freezing rain after midnight. This reminds me of Jan 1988 in so many ways. While I have ya, didnt you all pick up 6" from the 88 storm?

i wonder if they are taking temperature profiles into account? What are your soundings through the event? GSP just changed my grid forecast and have us as snow for Sun night thru Monday evening, then a change over to sn/ip and then tapering to freezing rain after midnight. This reminds me of Jan 1988 in so many ways. While I have ya, didnt you all pick up 6" from the 88 storm?

I believe KATL got mostly Sleet/Freezing Rain in Jan 1988. It stayed in the mid 20s all day but this time it's forecast to get into the mid 30s.

No we had a ton of sleet. I think it will change over here but there will be several hours of Mod-heavy snow, enough for the 4-6" forecast to verify.

Rodney Hinson, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said snow is expected to begin falling in the Upstate around midnight Sunday and continue through Monday and into early Tuesday.

Hinson said weather models show that the storm could produce 3 inches to 4 inches of snow on Monday, with a varying amount of sleet mixed in depending on the track of a low-pressure system expected to move up from Florida.

Hinson said concerns that the looming storm could be a repeat of the record-setting storm in early January 1988 are unfounded.

“It (the new storm system) was looking similar to the one in 1988 on Thursday, but then it changed on Friday,” he said.

Source: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110108/ARTICLES/101081009/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Snow-storm-rumbling-toward-Spartanburg-could-dump-4-inches I knew it sounded too good to be true. I'll be lucky to see an inch now. A warm layer will probably develop over my area anyways. :axe:

Rodney Hinson, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said snow is expected to begin falling in the Upstate around midnight Sunday and continue through Monday and into early Tuesday.

Hinson said weather models show that the storm could produce 3 inches to 4 inches of snow on Monday, with a varying amount of sleet mixed in depending on the track of a low-pressure system expected to move up from Florida.

Hinson said concerns that the looming storm could be a repeat of the record-setting storm in early January 1988 are unfounded.

“It (the new storm system) was looking similar to the one in 1988 on Thursday, but then it changed on Friday,” he said.

Source: http://www.goupstate...d-dump-4-inches I knew it sounded too good to be true. I'll be lucky to see an inch now. A warm layer will probably develop over my area anyways. :axe:

This makes no sense, since here is the 4AM package for GSP:

SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY...MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT.

MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHEAST

WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW AND SLEET IN THE

AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE LOWER

30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

90 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AND VERY LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE

LIKELY. SLEET AND SNOW. ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN

THE UPPER 20S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

This makes no sense, since here is the 4AM package for GSP:

SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY...MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT.

MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHEAST

WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW AND SLEET IN THE

AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE LOWER

30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

90 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AND VERY LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE

LIKELY. SLEET AND SNOW. ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN

THE UPPER 20S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

Yeah, it says 6-10 inches here: http://forecast.weat...ter+Storm+Watch Weird. :arrowhead:

Cheez,do you think any areas in GA could get a crippling ice storm or do you think the QPF will be light enough so that it wont be that bad ? I've notice that FFC has most areas from Atlanta southward rise above freezing on Monday afternoon so I would think that things would gradually improve as Monday goes on. They were comparing this storm to Snowjam 82 and also the Blizzard of 93 in the Atlanta media, and I just don't see that happening.

Cheez,do you think any areas in GA could get a crippling ice storm or do you think the QPF will be light enough so that it wont be that bad ? I've notice that FFC has most areas from Atlanta southward rise above freezing on Monday afternoon so I would think that things would gradually improve as Monday goes on. They were comparing this storm to Snowjam 82 and also the Blizzard of 93 in the Atlanta media, and I just don't see that happening.

Not here in ATL, the dry slot will move in just as the precip changes to ZR. The area south to Macon and maybe even south of there could really get a bad one though..

Good morning everyone! Gotta get up early and see what happened overnight.

I hear a lot of despair right now. Don't. All of you know what happened with the Christmas Storm and how it kinda fell apart and disappeared a few days before it happened. I think the model Gods will be in our favor today. We're still in the sweet spot here so for right now we're good as gold.

I like the look of this RUC loop, it shows the low digging into TX and the big low over NE starting to lift which is what Phil said needed to happen.

http://www.daculawea...00mb_hour_1.php

Good morning everyone! Gotta get up early and see what happened overnight.

I hear a lot of despair right now. Don't. All of you know what happened with the Christmas Storm and how it kinda fell apart and disappeared a few days before it happened. I think the model Gods will be in our favor today.

I like the look of this RUC loop, it shows the low digging into TX and the big low over NE starting to lift which is what Phil said needed to happen.

http://www.daculawea...00mb_hour_1.php

Brand new weenie here w/ my first post. and would like to say, "Howdie!".

I have been on a crash course researching all the nomenclature associated w/ all the weather abbreviations

A wealth of information on wx and all the factors that drive these winter storms.....I tip my hat to all the pros...thank you for your time to explain things on the board.

I have a question with regards to your link.....what do the X's & N's mean with the associated vortexes (lows)?? I understand the mb gradients for the 500 mb level of our atmosphere (about 18,000 ft IIRC)

From years past, basically all I know that here in NC for major winter SN precip, we need cold air in place with a surface high over the Ohio Valley and a strong surface low off of the coast of SC tracking NNE.

BTW,,,I like the low over the NE moving out too for this event........I'll stay out of the way and off the posting as things develop as the board is going into storm mode.

I have been on a crash course researching all the nomenclature associated w/ all the weather abbreviations

A wealth of information on wx and all the factors that drive these winter storms.....I tip my hat to all the pros...thank you for your time to explain things on the board.

I have a question with regards to your link.....what do the X's & N's mean with the associated vortexes (lows)?? I understand the mb gradients for the 500 mb level of our atmosphere (about 18,000 ft IIRC)

From years past, basically all I know that here in NC for major winter SN precip, we need cold air in place with a surface high over the Ohio Valley and a strong surface low off of the coast of SC tracking NNE.

BTW,,,I like the low over the NE moving out too for this event........I'll stay out of the way and off the posting as things develop as the board is going into storm mode.

Good morning and welcome to the fight!

The X means the low is closed. N means it's open.

Best of luck with the coming fray!

Never mind.....sorry ('X' = vorticity maximums)

The latest GFS snow loop shows the precip further north and lighter.

http://www.daculawea...gfs_snow_06.php

while the 3:35am NAM still paints a pretty picture

http://www.daculawea..._se_snow_06.php

You can see the update times in my sig

Looks better for RDU but if we're going to have trouble with temps I'd rather members in GA/SC/AL get the snow...No need for a nasty mixed bag with power outages due to freezing rain...I want to watch the Auburn vs Oregon game Monday night.

Those snow maps are really really deceiving...the temps are clearly not there, yet the snowfall map verbatim gives RDU 5" on the 06z GFS...I guess it's because the storm is faster so it dumps more snow before the transition takes place? Either way, I like the "trend" giving RDU more QPF. I haven't been model watching too much as I've been out of town, so I have to play catch up at this point.

Wow good to see I didn't stay up for the Euro...clearly the outliers at this point. I still love the setup and the slight differences in QPF are to be expected right now between the NAM and GFS. One good thing is that now 18z/00z/6z all look pretty similar outside of the 00z NAM when it comes to the qpf. 12z should really be telling and hopefully it swings our way. Anyways this is just showing how much potential this storm has which is why GSPs and any others AFD should be talking WWA and WSW for their CWAs. There is always potential for bust but it just seems pretty low. IIRC models also dampen the S/W but it usually comes in stronger most of the time so I really am not buying what these weaker models are selling.

Archived