• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 14th-16th OV/MW/GL Storm 2 potential

patrick7032

Looks like an icing/mixing threat for S. Mo - S. IL on south with a band of snow just to the north. This blocking/ridge configuration screams mT over cA overlay, and is a similar PAC setup to the Jan '09 ice storm, albeit missing the positive tilt western trough, which means much shorter duration.

And then after that, hardcore cold. Maybe the coldest since the Feb 1996 cold wave here in STL.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The threat for the big storm in this time range is basically gone now. It looks like some regions may get some weak clipper type action, but certainly nothing big. So far I'm far from impressed with this month as a whole.

It's there, just way too far south. Even for me. However there's plenty of time. Hopefully I can cash in on one of these with a huge blockbuster event and then we can shift the snowier pattern further up north for a while so you all can get some some.

I have a hard time buying no storm with the amount of energy coming ashore and the amount of cold air dumping down into the region.

Wit this being the big Arctic Blaster I am on that side. With the amount of bitter air and energy running around with modified polar and even some sub tropical far south a potential massive storm will affect some areas. Where it will be I do not know but I am inclined to agree that this should be bigger than advertised. Since a relaxation could be coming 5 days after that storm I tend to favor a bigger, stronger storm.

Josh

I have a hard time buying no storm with the amount of energy coming ashore and the amount of cold air dumping down into the region.

Yeah that's how I normally feel too, but it seems that lately we're getting multiple pieces of shortwave energy as opposed to a single strong one. It's definitely something to keep an eye on with the amount of cold air entering the CONUS. You'd think that the very impressive baroclinic zone would dish out something good, but the trend by the global models isn't looking so hot right now.

Yeah that's how I normally feel too, but it seems that lately we're getting multiple pieces of shortwave energy as opposed to a single strong one. It's definitely something to keep an eye on with the amount of cold air entering the CONUS. You'd think that the very impressive baroclinic zone would dish out something good, but the trend by the global models isn't looking so hot right now.

I think we should give this one time to brew, it has potential, and like you mentioned the strength of the baroclinic zone forecasted is very strong and impressive.

Most of IL (S/C) probably end up with nearly .4-.5 QPF.

Sub 1008 MB LOW from TX to W. ARK to S. MO to S/C. IL to C. IND then it weakens pretty good.

It tried to phase but never "completley" phased. Trough was really broad.

Yeah I don't buy it weakening as it lifts NE, there is no reason for it to weaken

seasonal trends FTL, if something is going to cut northeast, it’s going to do it east (coastal) or west (plains) of the lakes, persistent lakes blocking isn’t going anywhere.

Have to stay positive. A low doesnt always transfer when it takes a ohio valley track. It's doing it with the 10-12 storm because there is a low off the coast. I really like the potential. The block is weakening, which is allowing the 10-12 OV low to move towards the great lakes.

Have to stay positive. A low doesnt always transfer when it takes a ohio valley track. It's doing it with the 10-12 storm because there is a low off the coast. I really like the potential. The block is weakening, which is allowing the 10-12 OV low to move towards the great lakes.

Don't hold your breath. :axe:

I understand seasonal trends and all but why are people so negative. Just because we have been in this pattern for about a month now doesn't mean it can't change in a moment. The models showed almost nothing 3-4 days ago with this ohio valley low and now places in ohio and far southern michigan have a decent shot at 3-6 inches or more. Chicago detroit indy cleveland are due for a big daddy and if phasing occurs that could happen with this storm.

He's right though. NAO popping above neutral, AO relaxing. The pattern we're entering is not exactly the same we've been in for the past several weeks.

http://www.cpc.ncep....a/nao.sprd2.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep....ex/ao.sprd2.gif

He is right, in other words, there will be another way for the storm to cancel itself.sad.gif

I might have to coin Patrick7032 "Storm Cancel Pat" for his early storm thread, haha.

Archived