joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 14th-16th OV/MW/GL Storm 2 potential

patrick7032

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A beautiful snowy, blowy morning! Had 1.4" here with 0.08" water, DTW had 1.3". Note, that monthly snowfall at DTW is already at 11.1", so we have hit normal for January but we are just halfway thru the month smile.gif

We are really nickeling and diming our way to a beautiful winter wonderland. A nice 6" of powder lay on the ground, however it looks deeper than December because there are much bigger snowbanks everywhere, a product of frequent snows (where December was basically 1 big snow). Really hoping we can build a deep snowpack. Hope the NAM is wrong on its warmer scenario for the Mon/Tue event.

2571-800.jpg

2572-800.jpg

2573-800.jpg

2574-800.jpg

2575-800.jpg

2576-800.jpg

2577-800.jpg

A beautiful snowy, blowy morning! Had 1.4" here with 0.08" water, DTW had 1.3". Note, that monthly snowfall at DTW is already at 11.1", so we have hit normal for January but we are just halfway thru the month smile.gif

We are really nickeling and diming our way to a beautiful winter wonderland. A nice 6" of powder lay on the ground, however it looks deeper than December because there are much bigger snowbanks everywhere, a product of frequent snows (where December was basically 1 big snow). Really hoping we can build a deep snowpack. Hope the NAM is wrong on its warmer scenario for the Mon/Tue event.

The GFs and NAm are so different. Nowcasting!

FWIW, the NAM is an outlier with respect to Monday's/Tuesday's system.

While the snowpack is nice, I am losing my patience with these nickel & dime events (which looks to segway us out of Janaury if the Siberian air takes over). Heck, even a run of the mill winter storm will do (strictly based on criteria, we haven't had one yet, the December event was boderline), let along a 10"+ biggie/bomb.

Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l Airport Date: 1:54 PM EST Saturday 15 January 2011

• Condition: Heavy Snow Pressure: 100.0 kPa Visibility: 0.4 km (1/4mile) Air Quality Health Index: 2
  • Temperature: -10.1°C Dewpoint: -12.0°C Humidity: 88 % Wind: ENE 18 km/h Wind Chill: -17

impressive WAA right after a very cold night FTW.....for eveeryone.

FWIW, the NAM is an outlier with respect to Monday's/Tuesday's system.

While the snowpack is nice, I am losing my patience with these nickel & dime events (which looks to segway us out of Janaury if the Siberian air takes over). Heck, even a run of the mill winter storm will do (strictly based on criteria, we haven't had one yet, the December event was boderline), let along a 10"+ biggie/bomb.

The December 12th storm was a borderline run of the mill winter storm? Are you kidding me? It gridlocked the area for days because of what happened. 4" of wet snow glued to roads that flash freezes as the temp drops 20 degrees in a few hours followed by 2+ more of snow, this time powder with blizzard conditions. If that isnt a winter storm, i dont know what is...it was by far more chaotic than your averaged 6" snow. Hell, I swear it caused more problems than the 12" storm did on Jan 22, 2005.

The December 12th storm was a borderline run of the mill winter storm? Are you kidding me? It gridlocked the area for days because of what happened. 4" of wet snow glued to roads that flash freezes as the temp drops 20 degrees in a few hours followed by 2+ more of snow, this time powder with blizzard conditions. If that isnt a winter storm, i dont know what is...it was by far more chaotic than your averaged 6" snow. Hell, I swear it caused more problems than the 12" storm did on Jan 22, 2005.

Eh, there really isn't a wind criteria for a winter storm from the NWS. It's simply 6" in 8 hours (which most areas didn't have) or 8" in 24 hours (which no area I don't believe had). I don't really care much for the wind in a storm unless it's a blizzard, but that's the main reason it was cosidered a "winter storm.", although technically even the winds were below warning/blizzard criteria. The "gridlock" probably resulted more from the poor forecasting of it (many stations were still forecasting 1-3" that morning of the storm, and they don't normally clean the streets much when only so much snow is expected to fall) than the actual storm impacts.

Yeah, I'm going to be in the hole 100 dollars. No chance of me avoiding 3.7" with 2.5 months of snow bearing months to go. But I think my mojo has dried up for a little bit. Won't cross the finish line for a while.

Well I guess it was for the greater good. :lol:

I also see you're only 1.7" behind MBY currently...

Archived