• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Happy 15th Anniversary Blizzard of 1996

Greatest snowstorm of my lifetime. And not just because of the accumulations. It had wind, temps in the low teens, and it was a long duration event. Last year was great, but none of those storms surpassed Jan '96 in my book.

Yea me too. I was living in Denville, NJ at the time. Best snowstorm of my life. I remember getting home Sat. night and my mom saying the forecast was for 3 feet of snow but she didn't believe it. That Sunday night we had thundersnow for about 20 minutes and it was snowing so hard I couldn't see the neighbors house next door. The 2 houses were about 50 feet apart. We lost power for 3 days. It was the only time living in Denville that I lost power. I didn't lose power during Hurricane Gloria or the Superstorm.

I was in 7th grade. I still remember my middle school basketball coach saying on Thursday or Friday at practice, "Practice is cancelled for Monday because frankly, I don't think we'll have school for at least a few days if the Weather Channel is right." Frankly, I think I am speaking for many when I say that this was possibly the single event that led to my passion for meteorology. Unfortunately, I like fast cars, and hence, I opted to go into medicine.

I was in 7th grade. I still remember my middle school basketball coach saying on Thursday or Friday at practice, "Practice is cancelled for Monday because frankly, I don't think we'll have school for at least a few days if the Weather Channel is right." Frankly, I think I am speaking for many when I say that this was possibly the single event that led to my passion for meteorology. Unfortunately, I like fast cars, and hence, I opted to go into medicine.

Then, how did you become a meteorologist?

medicine? really? You explain a very similar story as mine (minus the fast cars LOL) where the blizzard of 96 was the impetus for my passion for meteorology but I ended up going into medicine!

Feb 2010 destorys it for me. 34 inches Loudoun County

Well of course Snowmageddon beats January 1996 if you're only talking about our backyards, but that storm did not bring 18"+ from DC to Boston.

January 1996 brought its epic snow to a much larger area, and that is why THAT storm is a NESIS 5.

Well of course Snowmageddon beats January 1996 if you're only talking about our backyards, but that storm did not bring 18"+ from DC to Boston.

January 1996 brought its epic snow to a much larger area, and that is why THAT storm is a NESIS 5.

Yes, there are storms that have surpassed it even for me (February 06, December 2010 for snow rates and wind combination) but the duration and the coverage of 30 plus inches is unsurpassed....

Greatest snowstorm of my lifetime. And not just because of the accumulations. It had wind, temps in the low teens, and it was a long duration event. Last year was great, but none of those storms surpassed Jan '96 in my book.

i lived in DC at the time and would agree. have lived in a lot of places, including mn, but this storm is the best i think i have ever experienced, for the reasons you listed. it was simply the best :snowman:

although now i feel really old since it was 15 years ago lol

The great thing about that storm was the idea that we would get whiffed. The storm began up here Sunday around 6PM. Saturday mid day had one local TV met upping his forecast from 1 inch to 3 inches. I went to the movies that Saturday night with my wife and taped Harvey Leonard, premier TV met up here. He was going 12+. The next day with temps in the high teens, i xc skiied. It was overcast and we had probably 2 feet of base at the Boston Arboretum...felt like I could have been in the wilds of Siberia. The next morning the snow was still heavy here. I ended up with a shade under 20 inches, not close to the Philly jackpot but a great storm on top of deep snow. 2 days later we got another 6-8 inches from a clipper before the coast hugging bomb 2 days after that signaled the start of a prolonged thaw.

Felt like I had the best of both worlds that winter. Happened to be in Morris county Nj with my folks for that blizzard and witnessed thundersnow and 28+ inches of snow. Then went back home to Cape May and had a series of snow storms in February that inland areas missed out on. Great winter. 2009-10 snowfall actually exceeded it in Cape May, but lacked some of the cold minimum temps that '96 had.

I just had started my first real job out of college a week before the storm up in Paramus, NJ. I remember kind of freaking out wondering how I would get to work. The state of emergency in NJ took care of that!!! :thumbsup:

Churchville, PA

rendered the Eagles / Dallas playoff meaningless before the Eagles themselves rendered the game meaningless

BucksCo, great photos. I had a Honda CRX at the time and the hood and hatchback were completely covered. I had a photo of it back in the day, but it's long gone. I remember not even caring that the Eagles lost to the Cowglrls that day ... amazing how a snow storm can lift your spirits.

I was only 10 years old, but I have some really vivid memories. My favorite in NE Philly was shoveling with my mom during the storm. All of a sudden a huge gust knocked a giant drift from the roof on top of us lol...

Archived