mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Madmaxweather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh... NAM 00z is pretty identical if not a hair north of 18z and 12z. But it still seems to be having a problem with the long wave trough, becoming too amplified... still preferring the more zonal ECMWF/GFS at this point. We'll see what GFS says...

Eh... NAM 00z is pretty identical if not a hair north of 18z and 12z. But it still seems to be having a problem with the long wave trough, becoming too amplified... still preferring the more zonal ECMWF/GFS at this point. We'll see what GFS says...

The lack of amplification of the ECM/GFS operationals has been interesting, and they are having issues with the breakdown of the -NAO as it turns neutral/positive. They (GFS/ECM ops) have been very slowly becoming more amplified in the northern ridge and the S/W has become fatter and beefier with the 300 hpa jet increasing slowly with each run. That lead S/W is now directing some relatively large values of DPVA into that ridge per latest mesoscale models--they don't seem to be influenced by the -NAO breaking down fast. That said, some of the extreme amplification may not be correct in some of the models, but it is a very iffy scenario and could quite easily become dominated by the circulation over the coast. The GFS/ECM op are huge outliers to their own ensembles and I have a feeling they will change big either this 0Z run or by 12Z.

North trend continues. Any more north I might as well throw in the towel for any more than 2" per the nam of course.. see if the gfs sticks with the starved qpf solution for over this way lol..

Barely moved north if that from the 18z besides all of Ohio is in the .25-.5 area of precip so i'd be happy with that.

nam pretty consistant with amounts in eastern nebraska and western iowa

00znamp72_MW078.gif

for any Met in here, looking at the models, would this storm be worth a winter storm warning or advisory in your opinion? I only ask because the nws in

Des Moines doesnt look like they fully agree with NWS in Valley/Omaha

The lack of amplification of the ECM/GFS operationals has been interesting, and they are having issues with the breakdown of the -NAO as it turns neutral/positive. They (GFS/ECM ops) have been very slowly becoming more amplified in the northern ridge and the S/W has become fatter and beefier with the 300 hpa jet increasing slowly with each run. That lead S/W is now directing some relatively large values of DPVA into that ridge per latest mesoscale models--they don't seem to be influenced by the -NAO breaking down fast. That said, some of the extreme amplification may not be correct in some of the models, but it is a very iffy scenario and could quite easily become dominated by the circulation over the coast. The GFS/ECM op are huge outliers to their own ensembles and I have a feeling they will change big either this 0Z run or by 12Z.

You can see the GFS op making slow incremental changes regarding this.

Compare yesterday 18Z:

post-999-0-05963500-1294542146.png

To Today 18Z run, same verification time:

post-999-0-14501200-1294542149.png

Good point. Would make a lot of people happy, but yes I see what you're saying... the reason behind the west shift and the southern low just petering out and not quite making it to the coast today. Will be interesting if the Euro catches it tonight.

i love your posts

Ugh Kentucky going to end up between the two systems and we will end up getting little to nothing. Wow.

Lol welcome to the Doughnut hole... 1-3 " seems fair along the Ohio River, we are the path for the surface low, whatever there is of one that is...

0z nam gives me .23 for a whopping 3.1" LOL CMH is still in the game for 5" good luck. If the reast follow the nam I am going to gracefully bow out. Let me reitterate for snowlover2. I went from 5.5" at 18z on the NAM to 3" I'd say thats a big loss. I dont waste time tracking 2-3" snowfalls lol

Archived