• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Madmaxweather

Here we go again! The 12z GFS has a decent storm for the Midwest, Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. This is about the same time frame where we licking our chops in regards to the Christmas storm and we all know what happened. The bus crashed! The pattern seems more favorable for this storm to become a reality. Thoughts?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again! The 12z GFS has a decent storm for the Midwest, Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. This is about the same time frame where we licking our chops in regards to the Christmas storm and we all know what happened. The bus crashed! The pattern seems more favorable for this storm to become a reality. Thoughts?

Verbatim, it kind of screws us by hanging back this little tail of lower heights over Quebec. You can see it really clearly at 174 at H5. But I think that's a very low confidence feature, and if it's absent, this has the chance of being my first southern stream induced snowfall of 2010-2011. :arrowhead:

Edit: Actually, the inch I saw on December 12 was southern stream induced. Nevermind.

Oh great, you dun gone and jynxed the storm. :ee:

NEVER start a thread about a storm 7 days away in a blocky pattern. :arrowhead:

This is a weather board, so I guess if he wants to start a thread to discuss a possible upcoming storm, it's okay. However, I think we should make a rule that anyone who starts a thread about a possible storm beyond 120 hrs should be banned from starting any storm threads if the original target area busts. :P

You guys west of the Mississppi and 40N south are definitely in a better position for this storm than us in the Great Lakes.

We'll see. I think the northern extent can reach the QC, southern WI, southern lower MI, ON. Obviously depends on the amount of confluence hanging around, amongst other things, but the details are far from being resolved. Long ways to go.

I know how you guys feel about JB from Accuweather but he has been onto this storm since last week. He said this in yesterdays blog:

"I want to again be clear that the storm I think will pack a real coast-to-coast wallop is next week, before the complete arctic attack occurs, and may lay down the snowcover for the Emperor of the North to attack with."

Also said this about the cold coming:

"This kind of coast-to-coast cold, not just regionalized where the West and Plains are cold, and the East warm, or Plains and East cold, West warm, has really not been seen since the great Arctic attacks of the 1980s. While the fun and games are in a 15-day period Jan. 8-22, the real core of this is more like the 10th-20th and I guess if you really want to hone as far as the coldest day nationwide... right at the midpoint of the weatherman's winter (December, January, February) Jan. 15. "

like this one better for here, but lol at the U.P.

GFS_3_2011010412_F204_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Oh and geez on the GEM. Though verbatum still looks like mostly frozen way east of the L? Either way, I guess I have to like where I sit, on the SE fringe of the GEM and the N fringe of the GFS. Still see accumulating snow in both cases, but if we can get a nice compromise..BAM!

And there we go, 12z GGEM has a 999mb low in SE Iowa at 144. :arrowhead: I'll quit this hobby for the rest of winter, if this turns into another MN special.

I cant see this being a MN Special but who knows with this winter

If the blocking weakens does that create a strong SE Ridge? which would allow this solution?

Oh and geez on the GEM. Though verbatum still looks like mostly frozen way east of the L? Either way, I guess I have to like where I sit, on the SE fringe of the GEM and the N fringe of the GFS. Still see accumulating snow in both cases, but if we can get a nice compromise..BAM!

Verbatim, most of the precipitation on the GGEM (east of the low) is in the "warm sector" (132hr).

By the time it reaches here the enregy splits west & east (144hr). Apparently by that point the low has fully occluded, which tells me despite its further west track it's also picking up on the block.

If the blocking weakens does that create a strong SE Ridge? which would allow this solution?

I second that question. Wonder if the block and se ridge are related as to when the block weakens it allows for a se ridge, or the se ridge is strong enough to push the block away

Anything is on the table, but I certainly didn't see it cutting that far west before I saw the 12z GGEM. There's always scenarios where a block/confluence in the NE weakens, with a high coming in from the NW (depending on location and strength)...trough goes neutral/negative over the center of the country and the storm splits the uprights, sort of speak. It'll be an interesting system to watch, that's for sure.

didn't we have a storm do this early in the season....almost due north from Kansas?

I think this solution is as reasonable as any. Funny thing is that DT berated Harry and me in another forum last night for even suggesting that this could be a threat further north into the OV and lower lakes.....

oooooooops

didn't we have a storm do this early in the season....almost due north from Kansas?

I think this solution is as reasonable as any. Funny thing is that DT berated Harry and me in another forum last night for even suggesting that this could be a threat further north into the OV and lower lakes.....

oooooooops

Although the low is technically further west, the precipitation wtih the GGEM itself pans out just like the GFS shows.

Doesn't some of the precip from the front wave end up getting most along I70?

even if the 2nd wave is north, the 1st will lay down a swath of snow and ice.

no way...not if it moves north that far west....it'll pump that ridge hard ahead of it and best case scenario for south of i-80 is probably some sort of slop to rain....then back to leftover flakes.

oooooooops

Where were they thinking? East Coast?

no way...not if it moves north that far west....it'll pump that ridge hard ahead of it and best case scenario for south of i-80 is probably some sort of slop to rain....then back to leftover flakes.

That is not going to happen looking at the H5 chart.

the Upper Levels might be to warm for all snow but you will see a major ice storm before you see slop.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

the zone is STL..then moves ESE from there....when you get to hour 120 you can see colder air in place, but qpf is lighter further east.

Archived