joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Madmaxweather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not see a cutter at all. Anything is possible but looking at H5 profiles and with the jet digging in with massive Arctic air intrusions behind that storm I have to say the GGEM is significantly off with that type of scenario. I will explain below what could be more possible. The GFS and Euro is where I will place more emphasis on. As most have said, Euro is deadly with cutters and I cannot see a cutter. The Friday storm will lay the ground work for Mon-Wed of next week. I have to go with the neutral E-W track or suppression. Some oscillation will occur but with the pattern shaping up the way it is, I find it hard to swallow a big cut.

To the GGEM solution; I wonder if the GGEM is taking that piece and tries to make it the eventual, new PV. That solution could have some merit but that low would likely occlude and the second wave or piece would come under it and be shoved eastward with Arctic air slamming up against the moisture and causing great over running. I think the GGEM is confused with the weaknesses around so it grabs that low and tries to shove it up to Saskatchewan and fire a new PV with resultant blocking but being 6 to 7 days out, a lot of IFs. If it does happen that way, it might not be bad for a majority of the region. It simply jumps north and occludes and the second piece takes over and cold air slides in front for the central and eastern half of the region.

Josh

I'm gonna hold off on getting too bullish for LAF. If we're talking more generically about a major winter storm in the Midwest, I'm on board with that.

I haven't had time to look at things in detail yet, but the GFS has been performing pretty darn well this winter. Whether or not this is going to be a "great" storm depends on where you are located, but from where I'm sitting I'm encouraged.

euro is a huge outlier with its handling of the PV.

strongly reccomend to throw it out.

ukie/GFS/GEM compromise advised.

As awesome as it looks in my backyard ( one hell of a LES set up via wnw flow here with a great moisture supply ) i too tend to think it is bs.

I'll ride a GFS/ECMWF blend and still prepare for nothing but boring cold...with the I-70 crowd getting a decent snow event.

I am worried about suppression down here..this air mass is insane and leading into events all year we have seen the Block stronger with the PV anomaly over the lakes or East trend stronger in this range. So suppression city doesn't seem that far fetched.

I'll ride a GFS/ECMWF blend and still prepare for nothing but boring cold...with the I-70 crowd getting a decent snow event.

Serious question here...when was the last time we saw a west-east moving system with the heaviest band occurring along I-70 from MO eastward to IN/OH?

Euro sort of loses the "best" distinction when you get out to 6 or 7 days.

Meh, none of them give me anything good anyways and a slim shot at 1-4" is hard to get excited about 6-7 days out, they all show serious dry air issues, especially this far northeast, which follows seasonal trends nicely.

Final call, potent storm blows it's load over the central plains, gets squashed and starved heading east and makes a half assed attempt to cut up the coast, but fails.

Euro sort of loses the "best" distinction when you get out to 6 or 7 days.

Haven't been impressed with its performance here with a couple of the hybrid clippers back in December. Obviously its 500h verification scores are the best, but it has its flaws with individual storms just like every other model.

Meh, none of them give me anything good anyways and a slim shot at 1-4" is hard to get excited about 6-7 days out, they all show serious dry air issues, especially this far northeast, which follows seasonal trends nicely.

Final call, potent storm blows it's load over the central plains, gets squashed and starved heading east and makes a half assed attempt to cut up the coast, but fails.

Final call? LOL. I would make this my first guess though.

Serious question here...when was the last time we saw a west-east moving system with the heaviest band occurring along I-70 from MO eastward to IN/OH?

That system on 2/13/07 comes to mind but I think the better amounts were north of I-70 up to I-80. I would have to go back and look at radar and stuff. I think it was forecasted to be a bit further south then what actually occured.

That system on 2/13/07 comes to mind but I think the better amounts were north of I-70 up to I-80. I would have to go back and look at radar and stuff. I think it was forecasted to be a bit further south then what actually occured.

Yes. I know exactly where the heaviest band was on 2/13.

Jan 10-11th, 2011 :guitar::P

Some KEY differences on the GFS/Euro runs at hour 144:

The GFS has a broad, digging trough out west with a ridge popping and an axis centered near Ohio.

The EURO on the other hand looks similar with the western trough although not closed and perhaps a tad weaker. HOWEVER it has an upper closed low centered over Michigan. So it's there on the Euro and not there on the GFS. Hmmmmm...Something has to give there. That may be a big key to whether we see a suppressed solution or an OV/western Apps track.

As of right now, I would lean away from the Euro but it's too early to completely throw anything out IMO.

Archived