• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Madmaxweather

This was over by 72 hours on the 18Z GFS. Note how the retrograding vortex interacts negatively with the first jet max/ejecting S/W ahead of the western trough. This kills cyclogenesis and the secondary jet max the ECM/GFS have been consistent with ejects into the plains well displaced from the baroclinic zone. Weak, pathetic development occurs and little to no amplification develops. No amplification means the wave remains very low amplitude and maintains a fast wave speed. So, instead of that secondary jet max "enhancing" cyclogenesis over the plains and slowing down, there is no cyclone for it to enhance. As I mentioned earlier, the development of the vortex through 72-78 hours will let us know early how this forecast pans out later.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the storm will come north. The general track is pretty well known now. The hope for you is that it takes a slow enough track similar to earlier GFS runs with the secondary jet max dominating to force sufficient intensification early enough in the southern plains/MS Valley to wrap snow around the low before it undergoes coastal development.

I think it will come slightly further north, but not nearly enough. Tennessee is going to get rocked.

Here's hoping to the latter, though.

Here's CoastalWx's latest take (a good SNE met):

I wouldn't be shocked if we have a brief warmup as a low tries to cut west. It could very well be a swfe (southwest flow event), with a low coming up the OH valley and a secondary moving over se mass. The trough axis temporarily shifts west, which seems to promote ridging over the East. It still very well may end up further se, but I think the signal is there for something that may be a plethora of ptypes for some.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/6661-january-2011-thoughts-area-of-warmth-could-be-somewhat-limited/page__view__findpost__p__226195

I wouldn't be shocked if we have a brief warmup as a low tries to cut west. It could very well be a swfe (southwest flow event), with a low coming up the OH valley and a secondary moving over se mass. The trough axis temporarily shifts west, which seems to promote ridging over the East. It still very well may end up further se, but I think the signal is there for something that may be a plethora of ptypes for some.

http://www.americanw...post__p__226195

Interesting. Lucky all my time the next few days will be on this good lake effect setup we have here in SE MI...so by the time that is over, maybe this storm will have a little more clear picture.

http://www.americanw...post__p__226195

Coastalwx is right, but in this scenario, a good storm event for OH valley goes hand in hand with a good coastal event. Development of the cyclone early in the plains and MS Valley is key both for the storm to slow down and as well as for the necessary upstream ridging to develop so the system tracks farther NW. This heads OTS if the storm doesn't already have sufficient amplification and strength to support a strong enough push of arctic air at the right angle wrt to the Gulf Stream for sufficient coastal development and a low tracking along the coast.

I know I am pretty sick of the split flow pattern. I'm tired of being in the middle of everything, or getting a craptastic event. This storm needs to come further north. :angry:

Don't give up hope yet. I believe you just moved here from Nebraska? I still think we still have a decent shot at getting this snow. Just need this storm to phase, we're so close. If you don't mind me asking, do you work at the NWS here?

Well margusity isnt going to fail on where he thinks will get snow next week, considering he covered over 75% of the eastern half of the country for "Areas where snow is possible" lmao

Look at his second map

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/meteomadness/story/43992/snow-maps-for-the-two-storms-coming-are-ready-norlun-trough-snows.asp

Well margusity isnt going to fail on where he thinks will get snow next week, considering he covered over 75% of the eastern half of the country for "Areas where snow is possible" lmao

Look at his second map

http://www.accuweath...rough-snows.asp

Cute on how hes got SWMI in the 1-3" Range considering there forecasted to get up to 2 feet in the next 48 hrs!

For the map below: Speechless :popcorn:

Baro: Henry Magusity keeps mentioning something maybe you can tell me wth it is. Norlun trough? In nearly 4 years here I have NEVER heard that term. He's on my facebook btw. lol

Like every paper in New England, the Press-Herald has the standard "it snowed a lot" story today … but this intriguing meteorological gem is tucked at the bottom:

Pohl, the weather service meteorologist in Gray, said snowfall varied widely and was heavier in some areas because of a phenomenon known as a "Norlan Trough." That’s an area of extremely low pressure, with heavy precipitation, that formed between two low-pressure systems that moved into the area from the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Maine. Pohl said the troughs can produce snow at a rate of two inches an hour. "We’ve gotten burned by these in the past

Baro: Henry Magusity keeps mentioning something maybe you can tell me wth it is. Norlun trough? In nearly 4 years here I have NEVER heard that term. He's on my facebook btw. lol

Its is a small mesoscale weather phenomenon that streams atlantic moisture from a deep low pressure system off the coast inland along a narrow band. It connects one area of low pressure to another, these bands are areas of not only enhanced moisture transport but also enhanced vertical motion, surface convergence and upper level divergence. They often result in a region of heavy snow activity along the trough with intense snowfall rates, over a short period of time.

can see it here on the 0z NAM

This was mentioned in the BOX afd earlier today

Archived