joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Newbie weather and other questions

Ginx snewx

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how can you tell that on the h5 charts? I hear people always saying is going negative..or positive, but I can never tell.

Look at the orientation of the isobars, if they align SW to NE then positive tilt n to s then neutral SE to NW then negative.

The best analogy I have found when trying to understand weather in the upper levels is to think of a stream of water, put a big rock in the middle of the flow, watch the eddies spin off, the rock being high pressure, the eddies low, the faster the stream the faster the eddies, the bigger the rock the bigger the effect downstream.

NAO= difference between pressure near Iceland and near Greenland.

PNA= ridge vs trough in the East vs the West

+PNA= trough East, ridge West

-PNA= ridge East, trough West

-NAO= Greenland block, higher pressure in Greenland than Iceland.

+NAO= no Greenland block. Lower pressure in Greenland than Iceland.

Look at the orientation of the isobars, if they align SW to NE then positive tilt n to s then neutral SE to NW then negative.

The best analogy I have found when trying to understand weather in the upper levels is to think of a stream of water, put a big rock in the middle of the flow, watch the eddies spin off, the rock being high pressure, the eddies low, the faster the stream the faster the eddies, the bigger the rock the bigger the effect downstream.

THANKS, will do my homework and check back tomorrow.

NAO= difference between pressure near Iceland and near Greenland.

PNA= ridge vs trough in the East vs the West

+PNA= trough East, ridge West

-PNA= ridge East, trough West

-NAO= Greenland block, higher pressure in Greenland than Iceland.

+NAO= no Greenland block. Lower pressure in Greenland than Iceland.

thanks!! -NA0 and + PNA are good set ups for the NE correct?

THANKS, will do my homework and check back tomorrow.

That page links to amazing research and explanations. I think I spent one entire week reading and trying to understand MJO, Strato warming is my new kick, why and what causes it. I still think despite some assertions here, this years volcano activity is part of the reason the AO has been so negative that and solar minimum.

Hey all, cold and snow obsessed newbie here myself..... great site and learning a lot from it. I'm right at the Southern tip of Sebago Lake, Maine. I'm sure I'll be frequenting this particular thread often, as I've already got quite a few questions answered. Mostly abbreviations is where you lose me. The cold finally arrived here tonight, down to 33.6 and dropping quick, and snowing at a pretty good clip to boot! It's even sticking to the pavement...

Hey all, cold and snow obsessed newbie here myself..... great site and learning a lot from it. I'm right at the Southern tip of Sebago Lake, Maine. I'm sure I'll be frequenting this particular thread often, as I've already got quite a few questions answered. Mostly abbreviations is where you lose me. The cold finally arrived here tonight, down to 33.6 and dropping quick, and snowing at a pretty good clip to boot! It's even sticking to the pavement...

Hello, neighbor. Good people here.

This is true, but meteorologists also use mb instead of altitude, because of the variations in surface elevation. Here in the East coast, we often talk about the 850 mb temps being such and such. In Denver, Colorado, 850 mb is actually UNDER the surface! I know that YOU know this, but I am writing this for some of the people who don't.

What is their reference point then?

Great thread! I always hear the term upper level low. What is the difference between an upper level low and a lower level low (surface low?)? Is the merging of the upper level low and surface low one of the ingredients for mod-heavy snow snowstorms? Also, in contrast, is there a such thing as an upper level high?

That was really really good.

E

What does it mean when you guys say a low has occluded? How can I detect this on the models?

Occlusion means there is no difference in the air masses in a storm, fronts have disappeared and as a result lift and dynamics wane. On a model the warm sector is gone when looking at level temps, on a surface map an occluded front is depicted. During the process of occlusion cold air wraps around the whole storm, sometimes when you are about to flip to rain , occlusion saves you.

42d4d0aa-687c-9f46.jpg

Steve, you missed your calling. Thanks for all of these

Thanks, I love sharing knowledge, my minor was Env Ed but I had to support three kids so went in another direction but work at an Educational Institution so it works out. This is fun anyway, kids are spoiled though, anything they want can be googled,we actually used a library , my question is why aren't the majority of kids smarter?

Thanks, I love sharing knowledge, my minor was Env Ed but I had to support three kids so went in another direction but work at an Educational Institution so it works out. This is fun anyway, kids are spoiled though, anything they want can be googled,we actually used a library , my question is why aren't the majority of kids smarter?

Google can't put information into a new light or tailor it's presentation of knowledge to suit the individual like you, Will, Scooter and others can.

Analog is making great posts here too, despite WOTY status

Ok, I waded through all of the info... this is excellent stuff, especially for a novice like me who is interested in this stuff but by no means an expert. I do a pretty good job of keeping up on all the acronymns, but, sorry, for the life of me, I can't figure out this... What the heck does "KU" stand for? Thanks!

Ok, I waded through all of the info... this is excellent stuff, especially for a novice like me who is interested in this stuff but by no means an expert. I do a pretty good job of keeping up on all the acronymns, but, sorry, for the life of me, I can't figure out this... What the heck does "KU" stand for? Thanks!

Kocin Uccellini - they wrote the bibles of northeast snowstorms and rate big events

Paul Kocin and Louis Uccellini

At the GTGs some bring the books and we drool over them

A KU event is what we live for... sometimes Tolland, CT gets14" of snow out of these

Archived