• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Newbie weather and other questions

Ginx snewx

Kocin Uccellini - they wrote the bibles of northeast snowstorms and rate big events

Paul Kocin and Louis Uccellini

At the GTGs some bring the books and we drool over them

A KU event is what we live for... sometimes Tolland, CT gets14" of snow out of these

Thank you! I don't think I would have guessed that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kocin Uccellini - they wrote the bibles of northeast snowstorms and rate big events

Paul Kocin and Louis Uccellini

At the GTGs some bring the books and we drool over them

A KU event is what we live for... sometimes Tolland, CT gets14" of snow out of these

Only because of this forum I had breakfast with KU at the conference in Balt in 06 . I highly suggest anybody attend, same conference drinking and talking NAO with Heather Archambault, smart as all heck hot weather girl, man if it was thirty years earlier, any way I digress.

Only because of this forum I had breakfast with KU at the conference in Balt in 06 . I highly suggest anybody attend, same conference drinking and talking NAo with heather Archambault, smart as all heck hot weather girl, man if it was thirty years earlier, any way I digress.

Both of them?!?! (K & U?)

HA sounds brilliant from reading some stuff she did

Both of them?!?! (K & U?)

HA sounds brilliant from reading some stuff she did

Yep I went down for breakfast and they invited me over, they asked a lot of questions and then we talked about 78 for an hour as I talked about underestimated QPF and snow depth and they explained the incredulity of their looking at sat and surface reports. Paul K is the keynote at many of the conf, awesome guys, friends on FB. My fav met Wes Junker is one of the best guys you will meet, when HE talks I have no doubt and take his word verbatim. Donnie Baseball also attends, Don Sutherland, the man is unreal in his humility for his talent,then of course there is our own superstar Will.

Ah thanks. I'm almost at that point, to subscribe. My map reading skills have improved enough over the past year or two to make it worth while. I guess I'll just ask you guys to post one every now and again in the mean time.

You won't see the actual Euro QPF maps here for proprietary reasons. You will get a description of the QPF fields by those who have access, however.

I'd love a newbie guide to interpreting BUFKIT soundings.

Bufkit is essentially a skew-T with a lot of options. I have some info and hints on an older version of Bufkit here:

http://www.vincentsapone.com/bufkit.html

The new Bufkit also has video tutorials with it that are good. In addition, googling Jeff haby skew T should get you to a good page.

Bufkit is essentially a skew-T with a lot of options. I have some info and hints on an older version of Bufkit here:

http://www.vincentsapone.com/bufkit.html

The new Bufkit also has video tutorials with it that are good. In addition, googling Jeff haby skew T should get you to a good page.

They block the BUFGET ports at my school :axe:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do overrunning events look in the days leading up to them? Do certain models depict them better?

There's usually a large area of light to moderate precipitation streaming ahead of a weak surface low pressure due to the H5 vorticity. I think the NAM sometimes does a nice job of showing overrunning whereas the GFS is a bit paltry in this area, but I'm no expert.

There's usually a large area of light to moderate precipitation streaming ahead of a weak surface low pressure due to the H5 vorticity. I think the NAM sometimes does a nice job of showing overrunning whereas the GFS is a bit paltry in this area, but I'm no expert.

Thank you

...lalalala lock it up! GN

Is there a "common abbreviations" thread here that I've missed?

What is the meaning of PNA?

Pacific North America oscillation. Its measured primarily by the heights over W Canada and the heights just S of the Aleutions. High heights over W Canada and low heights over the area S of the Aleutions are a +PNA pattern....opposite is a -PNA (which we see now and coming up)

Here is a positive PNA

pna_load.gif

• 1 month later...

I think I get the general concept of "dry air". I am thinking low humidity. I am also thinking we get "dry air" with "high pressure" systems. Now, if I am right about those two, why is it that during snow events that the meteorologists keep commenting on the storm overcoming the "dry air". What is it doing to the storm? Does it change what I expect to see on the ground?

Archived