• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Surprised no one started a thread on this!

jm1220

http://www.njfreeway.../30-Dec-00.html

Just an amazing storm for my area and for most affected by this last storm. The setup was somewhat different in that it was a miller B and this was a miller A out of the Gulf. For me personally, from around 5am on the 30th until ~3pm, there was not ONE letup in the snow rates, and it often came down at 2-3" per hour. I also saw lightning and/or heard thunder at least 3 times that day. Just an amazing and dynamic storm, although shorter lived and less windy than this last one. There were also a number of scares before hand about it changing to rain for most of the NYC area, which I guess was the opposite scare from this last one. Luckily (for me), the rain never made it west of the Sagtikos and the dry slot stayed over E Long Island. Definitely one of my top ten favorites. :snowman:

My total was around 15" or so, which was amazing for a storm lasting only 8 hours.

That storm would always make DC folks hate the ETA lol. The ETA continually showed DC as getting a monster snow. However since it was a clear Miller B they all knew it was over around 3:30 AM when you could see the precip form off the coast. Here in Philly around 5 AM I was so nervous that the storm would miss, but I did get lucky and ended up with like 8 inches.

The GFS on the 25th showed all 3 streams phasing hammering everyone from VA Northward

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/maps/opnl/graphics.2000/20001225f108.gif

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/maps/opnl/graphics.2000/20001225f132.gif

Then it became obvious that it wouldn't happen and the Miller B was then modeled.

It was a fun storm to track, and my first as a weather weenie. Got me really interested in the field itself.

My most vivid memories was STEVEINCT on the TWC boards flaming away during that storm, and also a guy on TWC saying a few days ago it looked like we'd get a triple phaser, but not anymore lol.

That was the first 6 inch event for Central Park since March of 1996 and only the 2nd winter storm warning that had been in effect for the borough of Manhattan since March 1996 outside of the January 2000 event.

I wonder if that's one of the longest streaks ever, especially when you consider that sometimes a WSW is issued and does not verify.

I wonder if that's one of the longest streaks ever, especially when you consider that sometimes a WSW is issued and does not verify.

There were 2 events in that span where a WSW should have been issued...the February 1997 event where many places did see 4-6 inches in the 5 boroughs and LI as well as the March 1999 event which despite being well forecast outside of 24 hours was forecast very poorly in the short range because temps soared to 50 late in the afternoon and again forecasters fell into the trap of not realizing what a 990mb low off the coast can do to boundary layer temps....it wasn't til Islip and JFK began snowing at 1-2 inches an hour just before midnight that anything really went out.

There were 2 events in that span where a WSW should have been issued...the February 1997 event where many places did see 4-6 inches in the 5 boroughs and LI as well as the March 1999 event which despite being well forecast outside of 24 hours was forecast very poorly in the short range because temps soared to 50 late in the afternoon and again forecasters fell into the trap of not realizing what a 990mb low off the coast can do to boundary layer temps....it wasn't til Islip and JFK began snowing at 1-2 inches an hour just before midnight that anything really went out.

4-6 is not REALLY warning criteria.

Remember going to bed early that night and hardly seeing anything

on the radar. Woke up next morning to 20 + inches here in Hopatcong.

Amazing storm.

as i recall, at about 1am there was nothing on radar except for a few blips off the NC coast.

the next time i saw the radar, which was about 4:15am, it literally looked like a nuclear bomb went off, off the south jersey coast. i remember it as being an almost perfectly round hug mass of heavy precip, exploding north and onshore.

Oh, I remember that storm....

I was 16 and working at the local Shop Rite. I believe we were under a state of emergency, but we never closed down despite over a foot of snow fell. I worked 14 hours that day and since I couldn't drive yet and my mom didn't have a 4X4 I had to wait until 11PM to finally get a ride home from someone.

That was the first 6 inch or more event for Central Park since March of 1996 (January 2000 was 5.5 I believe) and only the 2nd winter storm warning that had been in effect for the borough of Manhattan since March 1996 outside of the January 2000 event.

What was the other? Was there a warning for the ice mess on January 14-15 1999?

Archived