Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve been around visiting family, so I haven’t posted too frequently, but my last update was from my parent’s place in South Burlington yesterday morning. I found that they had about 7.5 to 8 inches of snow on the ground from the event earlier in the week, and we even had some lightly accumulating snow come down on Christmas morning. I happened to be up in the wee hours of Christmas morning when the news came in about the big shift to keep the storm near the coast – that was amazing to watch the level of excitement in the forum.

Here are some observations updates from both SNE and NNE over the past day or so:

About midday yesterday we headed down to the South Shore area of Massachusetts (Norwell) for more family visiting. I don’t have any sort of fancy phone for following the internet on the road, but I just preloaded a bunch of pages from the discussion of the storm and read them on the trip down while my wife was driving. Occasionally I could pick up a wifi signal such as when we stopped for gas, so I was able to load additional pages then. It takes a lot to keep up with those SNE threads, but they are very interesting.

Snow started up in Norwell this morning ahead of the main event, and it snowed lightly on and off. A couple of families that had to get back to New Jersey left very early this morning because they had to essentially drive into the storm, while we were able to hang around later since we’d be driving away from it. Between noon and 1:00 P.M. we finally decided that we needed to get going, since steadier snow from the main event had definitely worked into the area. Roads were starting to get covered and we wanted to head north before driving got tricky. Snow slowed down as we headed north, and once we came out the north side of the Thomas P. O'Neill Jr. Tunnel, it was like we’d traveled into a different climate because it was just cloudy with no signs of snow. Roads were fine all the way to Waterbury, and there’s nothing to report about the storm north of Boston on our trip back.

I was at the grocery store for some shopping this evening, and when I came out at around 6:30 P.M. I saw a couple of flakes, but that was it. At around 8:30 P.M. flakes seemed to become more persistent here, but that’s all we’ve seen up to this point, and even as of 11:30 P.M. there is nothing more than a few flakes in the air.

Now that I’ve had a chance to look at the NNE observations thread, I can see that the snow seems to take a while making its way north. We’re under a winter storm warning here in Washington County for 8 to 12 inches, although being on the western edge of the county our point forecast calls for 5 to 9 inches and it looks like the BTV storm accumulations map has us down for 7 to 8 inches. It doesn’t look like there will be any accumulations to report from here until at least tomorrow morning based on what I’ve seen out there so far. The echoes on the radar have definitely pushed well north of our location, but since I’m not seeing anything down here it must be virga.

11:45pm heavy snow (snow has been light to moderate past hour heavy bank has just arrived) 3" .75" past hour. We had another grapel shower. Pings against the window but I looked closely just huge grapel so post about it being ice pellets was obviously wrong just huge grapel. Wow just looked out again vis est 1/8mile.

Temp is crashing...looks like CAA setting in. Down to 22.5F.

Had 4.1" at 12am with 0.46" water equiv...so yeah, ratios suck. Overall the snow growth has not been consistently good and those snow pellets really did a number on the ratios. I'm hoping for another 4-6"...hopefully that dry air doesn't get to me, but so far I'm safe. Looks like heavier echoes moving in from the SE again.

Really impressive out there now, just as the back edge of that heavy band is about to push away.

I can't remember a time when I've seen the snow whiz by any faster... it's cool.

At the end of my driveway is a rounded slope about 50 feet tall, right by a streetlight. Watching the wind roar down the Weirs Channel and roll up and over the hill is snazzy.

Hit 40mph, making it the highest wind I've recorded from a winter storm in the 5 years I've had my station.

I've reached 32 degrees... maybe it'll rain? :arrowhead:

If I zoom all the way in on wunderground radar, I can see that stationary band of moderate snow to my west is one half mile away, hugging the Laconia/Meredith town line. Never had one stall quite that close before.

post-18-0-75938600-1293438757.gif

Several inches of snow on the ground, will measure after kids get up. Looking at SFM obs overnight, winds have been gusting over 40 mph since midnight with a peak of 49. Not too shabby at this inland location! Frankly, I'm surprised the power never went poof. Should be an interesting sight outdoors once there's enough daylight to see. Also interesting to note that there was never a period of heavy snow ... vis never less than 0.50 miles.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.10” L.E.

Monday 12/27/2010 6:00 A.M. update: Steadier snows have definitely made it this far to the northwest now. I’m not sure at what point the atmosphere finally became moist enough to allow accumulation to the valley floor, but I looked outside at around 2:00 A.M. and it may have just barely started. There are some dendrites in the falling snow up to around 4 mm in diameter, but a lot of the flakes are small in the 1-2 mm range, and I saw some needles as well. With this composition the overall density of the snow that has fallen so far came in at 9.1% H2O. Soon after clearing the snowboards, they were quickly picking up notable accumulation even with rather small flakes, so snowfall is certainly in the moderate range. It definitely feels like a nor’easter out there, there is wind up above us and I can imagine that accumulations must be a pain to measure in windy areas with this event. The three snowboards I have out were all right on with each other in terms of depth, so there are no wind problems for measurement so far, but I moved one of my boards to another location out near the snow stake just in case. It’s cold outside as well, 11.8 F here, and not a day to be stranded outside.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.0

Snow Density: 9.1%

Temperature: 11.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Archived