joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the storm finally reached here about 11pm last night. The first flakes I saw were right before I went to bed.

Then it kicked up in earnest--snowing & blowing out there somethin' serious.

7.2" of new snow, liquid equivelent of 0.52".

I don't have an anemometer but I'd estimate sustained winds around 20 with gusts into the 30s or even 40s with the real doozies.

Very light and dry snow--should be easy to plow.

Topped out at 20F yesterday and sitting at 15F atm.

I'm real thankful that I don't have to race off to work this morning...in fact, the good folks at Dartmouth College gave us the whole week off. :pimp:

Snow arrived 9 PM IMBY but only about 1/4" by 10:30. At 4 AM it was high-end moderate with 4-5" down. 7 AM stats: 6.5" new, 8" at the stake. New snow 0.79" LE for ratio of 8.2. -SN with little gritty things bouncing off my jacket. Winds gusting into the 30s in treetops but little drifting so far, as I'm sheltered by woods and dense gritty snow tends to stay put.

GYX bumped foothills forecast to 12-16" (was 10-14), but unless the band over the Whites moves here and stays for a while, we're not going to get close to those totals. QPF should verify but ratios crummy - that makes for a good base on which to build snowpack, however. State offices closed today; closure announcement made last evening. Last time we had an "evening before" closure call was day 2 of the '98 ice storm. This is a nice storm, no complaints from here, but it's impact doesn't compare to 1/98.

Only a fraction of cocorahs obs when I was on that site, and tallest in Maine was 9.7" from an observer in AUG, and lots of 5-8" reports. Mass had some 12-13" reports from the east. ACK 7 AM pressure 964 mb and falling; BOS/PVD about 977 and rising.

Wow. Best storm in terms of intensity my 3 years here. heavy snow blowing drifting. Took 20 measurements, a low of 8 a high of 11. I'll go with 9.5 as the most frequent measure was 9 to 9.5.

Radar not looking great. band starting to push east a bit and degrade on the back edge. We will see what else develops

Saw a report from a spotter like 3 miles SSW of Webster reporting 12 inches.

Saw a report from a spotter like 3 miles SSW of Webster reporting 12 inches.

could be. i'm right at the town line of webster and salisbury so probably 8-10 miles nne of that. It is really piling up now so I think we will reach a foot.. The question is what happens for the next few hours. I can't believe you aren't going to get into this and have a very happy ending. Fingers crossed, it is so much better when coming in the daylight hours anyhow.

It's very difficult to measure this windblown powder-like snow. I began this storm with 4" on the ground from the surprise 6.5" wet snowfall middle of last week. It was frozen solid before storm began yesterday. Made a good base to get measurements, and I made sure I didn't bust through old snow pack. Amounts ranged from bare (down to old snow pack) to 3 1/2 feet up against one of our vehicles in the driveway.

Temps are crashing now, down to 25.3° F. and SN/BS

Heavy heavy knots. PWM has been gusting over 40 since 6 AM. SFM did all night since midnight.

We been having numerous gust in the 30-40's here as well, But that one really creaked the house, Another 28 dbz band has filled in as hopefully we have seen the last of the dry air for a while.................... :thumbsup:

Pushing 13" here and that's just the snow depth. I should have bought that damn snow fence. :arrowhead:

19.9F...I'll take a core sample water equiv at the end of the event. I wish I had stayed awake now to see the banding, but at least I got some sleep.:snowman:

Nice, dude--you've been due for one, I'd say.

Anyway, still light to occasionally moderate snow falling. This has been a real corker with the winds, if even not as much snow as some advertised. Temps are dropping--down to 13F after a 15F start to the day.

Approaching a fresh inch since my morning measurement.

Dryslot--awesome gust.

JEB--great webcam shot.

:snowman:

Snow just about over. Like Brian (Dendrite) about 20 miles to my south I also measured just under 13". Very happy with that, honestly I had been worried for past several days that we were too far NW and wished I was down in the Boston area but we did just as well. The interesting thing about this storm was the lack of wind at my location. Peak gust of only 22mph!

Gene

Snow just about over. Like Brian (Dendrite) about 20 miles to my south I also measured just under 13". Very happy with that, honestly I had been worried for past several days that we were too far NW and wished I was down in the Boston area but we did just as well. The interesting thing about this storm was the lack of wind at my location. Peak gust of only 22mph!

Gene

My peak was 30mph here, but I heard some decent roars that I could have swore was going to deliver a 40mph+ gust. So no verification of the blizzard warning here.

I had 6" at 4am when I konked out. Looks like we've managed most of the snow over the last few hours. Sanbornton was down to 1/16SM vis for about an hour in that same band that I was in so it was probably a few inches per hour.

Archived