SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha-ha, the Boxing Day Blizzard--love it.

Still fairly clear here. I can see the moon hanging in the west but it looks low & gray off to the southeast.....

Chilly--10F atm.

I almost named it the Kwanzaa Killer.

14.9F here. We have quite some time before we kick off this event so this topic might be gathering dust for a while.

Cloudy and 5 at 7 AM here, rising slowly. Looks like a good hit, though GYX snow totals/sequence seem odd for the foothills. For tonight, mts 2-4", foothills 4-8", AUG and points east/south 6-10". That looks okay, but totals including tomorrow are mts/foothills 5-9", all other GYX CWA 10-16". Doing the math, the foothills get 1" tomorrow while mts get 3-5" and others 4-6". The AFD mentioned 8-12" for "central" and 5-9" for mts/north, so I'll assume that the 8-12" would logically apply to the foothills. However, even a 6" event would be nice, and I'd prefer the fun ended sooner rather than later tomorrow (sorry!) due to our PWM commute.

Headed down to Mass to visit family for a few days. I can't wait to get there and hunker down and watch the storm for the next two days. I am also liking the models getting some good qpf up here as well. Still have the snowshoes collecting dust in the basement and hope can go for a good snowshoe when we return.

Well, that was fast--clouded right over now. There's still a hint of blue of to the NW but that's fading fast.

Headed out to provision up in a little while (beer, birdseed, lol). I was thinking of how busy it's going to be in the more populous/commercial areas today: not only is it Boxing Day but with a big blizzard being hyped, it's going to be mayhem at the stipmalls, grocery stores and gas stations. :popcorn:

-2F here in the Easton Valley, NH so plenty of cold to make the snow machine. Light overcast skies but much darker to my south looking through the notch and the southern whites.

I am on razor's edge here between a normal 3-6" snow and much much more. I think the key up here is going to be whether the banding penetrates north of the whites or not. I expect some downsloping early in the storm but if some bands do penetrate then my experience here is that it will keep snowing and dumping well after the low has departed the GOM and be a fantastic sight to behold. I think it comes down to precipitation bands coming in from Maine and Eastern NH and the periphery to which they pinwheel off of the low departing in the GOM.

Lastly, I think they may be underplaying how much it will mix in SNE. Right now, that low is on both the NAM and GFS pretty much sitting over Chatham at its closes for quite awhile. In my experience this is the perfect spot in February,. But with the warmer ocean waters, I think any accumulation expectation south and east of 128 that is 12"+ might be a bit rich. Then again, what do I know!

Enjoy.

I love how BTV has a stones throw from me here at 13" while GYX has me at 9". I bet it is a combination of which models they leaned on most heavily for QPF as well as their assumption on ratios.

For me both NAM and GFS have me on the .75-1" QPF and 1-1.25" lines. So call it 1" and I think my ratio will be outstanding, call it 15:1. I don't think I'll ever measure 15" but I am hopeful to be able to eclipse a foot.

17F sun showing dimly through the overcast. Love the feeling before a big storm. Calm out there. Amazing to think a 970mb low will be just to our south in 24 hours. Going to get gas for the generator (we lose power often up here on the hill). Nice thing to have the Droid X since my cable goes out often too. The Droid X screen is plenty big to follow the storm too.

17F sun showing dimly through the overcast. Love the feeling before a big storm. Calm out there. Amazing to think a 970mb low will be just to our south in 24 hours. Going to get gas for the generator (we lose power often up here on the hill). Nice thing to have the Droid X since my cable goes out often too. The Droid X screen is plenty big to follow the storm too.

Sounds like you're all set then. When my power goes out, I'm fooked.

If you're concerned about models, I'd go with what the Euro says in a couple hours.

Very curious about the Euro, but I can't see the detail maps. I read the SNE threads but hard to tell whats going to go on up in my back yard and don't like to ask. Less than 6 hours before storm start and the 2 American models have a 1" difference in QPF, so is it 6" or 18". I just have to watch the radar!

22.6F and overcast. Looks like the real deal is just getting into ORH and BOS now so we have a bit to go. I wouldn't worry too much about the models at this point. I think we end up somewhere in the middle of the GFS and NAM Gene. I'm thinking 8-12" here with maybe a spotty 14". We won't jackpot, but it'll still be a nice storm. The NAM has some great banding making it in here at 21-27hr so hopefully we're rocking around 5-7am. Also keep in mind that almost every storm has a few tricks up its sleeve...whether good or bad.

22.6F and overcast. Looks like the real deal is just getting into ORH and BOS now so we have a bit to go. I wouldn't worry too much about the models at this point. I think we end up somewhere in the middle of the GFS and NAM Gene. I'm thinking 8-12" here with maybe a spotty 14". We won't jackpot, but it'll still be a nice storm. The NAM has some great banding making it in here at 21-27hr so hopefully we're rocking around 5-7am. Also keep in mind that almost every storm has a few tricks up its sleeve...whether good or bad.

I was thinking this same thing just a bit ago. There's likely some who think they're going to jackpot but then somebody else gets the deformation banding from hell. Just the way it goes. If I knew the outcome of all this it wouldn't be nearly so interesting.

Just got back from the local country store ... even out here in the sticks it was three deep at the pumps.

Archived