Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,541
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Joined

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, TimB said:

Speaking of, when was the last time we hit 95F at PIT legitimately? 2012? I don’t count September 2018 as the sensor was very obviously reading high during that period.

The only June day where the record is NOT above 95 at MDT was yesterday at 92.  Every other June day,  MDT has reached above 95 sometime in the past.   When I say above 95, I mean 96 and above.  Ironically no day in June has 95 as its high.  It is the one 92 and all others are 96 and above.   A lot of insanity at MDT! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TimB said:

Yeah, but MDT isn’t Pittsburgh. It hits 95F or more there nearly every summer, and often 100F. It’s hit 100F there in 7 different summers since we last did.

True to an extent, but at least in June, the daily records there are only 2 or 3F warmer on most days. The all-time record is 100F (last set in 1966), and the highest hourly heat index is 112F. That's also at the airport, which is only about 300 feet above sea level. So anyone living in a more elevated location of south central Pennsylvania can probably shave 2-4F off those readings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

True to an extent, but at least in June, the daily records there are only 2 or 3F warmer on most days. The all-time record is 100F (last set in 1966), and the highest hourly heat index is 112F. That's also at the airport, which is only about 300 feet. So anyone living in a more elevated location of south central Pennsylvania, can probably shave 2-4F off those readings.

I don’t believe most of our summer daily records, the vast majority are very old and only a few were set at the airport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

I don’t believe most of our summer daily records, the vast majority are very old and only a few were set at the airport.

Also true, although the latter half of June kind of bucks that overall trend with the majority being observed at the airport - mostly 1994 and 1988 (including 2 of the dates when 98F was reached).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Also true, although the latter half of June kind of bucks that overall trend with the majority being observed at the airport - mostly 1994 and 1988 (including 2 of the dates when 98F was reached).

If the airport gets to 95 or 96 sometime next week (entirely plausible), it would stand to reason that such a day would have possibly gone down as a 100 in days of yore when observations were downtown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Euro shows a mid afternoon 98 for Tamaqua next Thursday and Friday.

Yikes, at least the GFS shows notably cooler. We shall see.

Who are you and where did you hide Steve's body in Arizona? You used to celebrate those temps! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Who are you and where did you hide Steve's body in Arizona? You used to celebrate those temps! 

He spent two years in a dry heat and now he knows how much ass humidity really sucks and knows that we don't reach 98 without humidity.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MU Weather Center

@MUweather

Record highs across many states from the central to eastern U.S. will likely be challenged or broken next week. At@millersvilleu, the record highs of 95F/97F on June 18th/19th are the ones to watch. The impending #heatwave could just be the tip of the iceberg this #summer too..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12Z GFS and CMC still undeniably hot next week and a tad warmer than the previous run but still 18Z temps are 87-91 for the LSV.  Not upper 90's every day.   (Edit, well actually CMC is mid 90's to upper 90's Thu-Sat just not early week).  The norms for next week are 84 and 85/64 and 65.  We have reached our hottest time of the year within a few degrees of its peak. 

 

Here is some insanity.  Mid 80's at 8AM.   Seems the real heat is punting back a bit but still show for late week and weekend when the ridge moves a bit and we lose our shower activity. 

image.png.00e8f66d44cc1381cae6ce93dee90c1b.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the heat and what appears to be some obvious 90's coming next week (maybe even a sneaky one tomorrow), an interesting stat....MDT has had no 90's so far this June...making it the longest stretch of the month for no 90's since 2019 when the first 90 did not happen until the 24th.    

 

Euro dropped the whole 102 thing but still hot next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Partly sunny...some billowing cumulus and some are getting dark. 86 degrees. 

Latest imagery showing the build ups over the LSV - particularly concentrated either side of the Susky:

20241651811_GOES16-ABI-ne-GEOCOLOR-2400x2400.jpg

As the above image shows. Not a cloud in the sky here. I was planning on mowing today but the other half has planned a nice evening so I'll probably do a midnight mow just to piss the neighbors off and dodge the potential storms tomorrow.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime thousands of tickets left for Calder Cup Game 1.  $20 each for some.   People not so excited about the Firebirds.  I do greatly dislike the 2-3-2 format though. 

The only downside to the 2-3-2 format is the higher seed loses home ice advantage for the pivotal game five. Maybe losing a potential clinch at home scenario but parades exist to allow you to see the trophy anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

The only downside to the 2-3-2 format is the higher seed loses home ice advantage for the pivotal game five. Maybe losing a potential clinch at home scenario but parades exist to allow you to see the trophy anyway. 

If they lose game 1 or 2 they are also under fire having 3 in a row on the road. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If they lose game 1 or 2 they are also under fire having 3 in a row on the road. 

Well to be fair, home field/court/ice in a series goes to the lower seed in a traditional 2-2-1-1-1 if the higher seed drops one of the first two games anyway, so the only difference is needing to win one of three instead of one of two if they drop one of the first two, and then potentially a third separate game on the road. Washes out a bit. 

 

If the higher seeds drops both home games, there should be no "Hands Across America," they put themselves in that hole. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Well to be fair, home field/court/ice in a series goes to the lower seed in a traditional 2-2-1-1-1 if the higher seed drops one of the first two games anyway, so the only difference is needing to win one of three instead of one of two if they drop one of the first two, and then potentially a third separate game on the road. Washes out a bit. 

 

If the higher seeds drops both home games, there should be no "Hands Across America," they put themselves in that hole. 

I guess my thought is that if you drop one of the first 2 then you just need to win 1 of the next 2 to get back home advantage (on a 2-2-1-1-1).   Going into 3 road games being at 1-1 you really have to win 2 to feel good about it.    I would not want to go 1-1 and then only win 1 of these 3 coming home down 3-2.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...