amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 7

am19psu

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what the heck is this- what is central pressure down to???? Also, how is there relatively NO PRECIP falling anywhere with a sub 970 MB low???f33.gif

Maybe it's because it's already rotting at that point? It's already dumped a crapload of precip plus it 's the RSM lol.

I cant believe this man I like cant accept that image right there...Its the March storm wind gusts with heavy snow instead...I just cant fathom it happening lol

I just loaded the 15Z SREFs (the latest available by BUFKIT) for KEWR... Almost none of the ensemble members show an inversion below 900hPa, and the mean has 70kt winds at 940hPa (and nearly 80kts at 925hPa!). That can't be good. Even at the surface, the mean was 35kts sustained with almost 50kts at 975hPa. This is at 5AM on Monday morning.

what the heck is this- what is central pressure down to???? Also, how is there relatively NO PRECIP falling anywhere with a sub 970 MB low???f33.gif

It's vertically stacked and occluding, meaning the major lifting stops near the low. The 2/25/10 storm did the same thing over us. Even though we had a low 970s low right near us, the snow stopped on the 26th because the low became stacked.

I just loaded the 15Z SREFs (the latest available by BUFKIT) for KEWR... Almost none of the ensemble members show an inversion below 900hPa, and the mean has 70kt winds at 940hPa (and nearly 80kts at 925hPa!). That can't be good. Even at the surface, the mean was 35kts sustained with almost 50kts at 975hPa. This is at 5AM on Monday morning.

That's amazing if that's at EWR...if the 0z data holds like that I expect Mt.Holly to upgrade coastal NJ to a blizzard warning and perhaps the next set of counties inland.

I'm amazed at the model output right now. This has the potential to be a true blizzard for exposed areas. We saw extreme winds mix down to the surface on 3/13 and the models are hammering at those kinds of wind speeds again. Snowfall intensity alone should bring visibilities down below 1/4 mile at times, and blowing snow can do the rest of the work.

I really don't think there is a recent precedent for this. We've had our share of historic snowstorms over the past decade, and some serious windstorms (3/13/10 especially) as well. But in the same storm? If what is being modeled ends up verifying, this will be the first of its kind in years.

RGEM continues to be the most east. Out to 24 and only grazing NJ.

as compared to 12Z in the same time frame the SLP is centered essentially in the same spot...the precip shield is just not as vast

and now comparing 0Z at 36 vs 12Z at 48 the SLP's take the EXACT same track...they go very little distance is 12 hours

I'm amazed at the model output right now. This has the potential to be a true blizzard for exposed areas. We saw extreme winds mix down to the surface on 3/13 and the models are hammering at those kinds of wind speeds again. Snowfall intensity alone should bring visibilities down below 1/4 mile at times, and blowing snow can do the rest of the work.

I really don't think there is a recent precedent for this. We've had our share of historic snowstorms over the past decade, and some serious windstorms (3/13/10 especially) as well. But in the same storm? If what is being modeled ends up verifying, this will be the first of its kind in years.

Can anyone let me know start time for nassau county and when the real heavy stuff is coming in? Reminds me of Jan 96 when the storm came in around noon on Sunday. Deja vu perhaps minus the arctic air?

Here's my call on this event...

Steep gradient just to the NW of a mega deformation band which is likely to develop from SNJ northeastward through CNJ, NYC and western/central LI. I expect slightly less totals on the east end of LI due to dry slot potential from H7 low directly over that area. Basically a moderate event from the DE River westward. Major event of 12"+ from about I-95 eastward. That 12-18"+ band is the hardest to figure out - could be a little west of where I have it, that's my worry.

vy5y00.png

i wouldn't rule out a track like the RSM, very close to the coast/ hugging the coast maybe 30 miles off. The h5 low is gonna deepen hardcore tomorrow afternoon and really no one can predict how it will move north of Delaware imo. I really hope it doesn't get too close to the coast because that will bring the dryslot/ eye closer to the coast and the mega band more NW!

Looks like it was derived from a good blend of the models. Good map...

Here's my call on this event...

Steep gradient just to the NW of a mega deformation band which is likely to develop from SNJ northeastward through CNJ, NYC and western/central LI. I expect slightly less totals on the east end of LI due to dry slot potential from H7 low directly over that area. Basically a moderate event from the DE River westward. Major event of 12"+ from about I-95 eastward. That 12-18"+ band is the hardest to figure out - could be a little west of where I have it, that's my worry.

vy5y00.png

Archived