Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 7

am19psu

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Part 6 some folks expressed concern re p-type. I think the low will be bombing out so fast that the boundary layer flow will responding more to rapid pressure falls than the pressure gradient, and be cross-isobaric/more off colder land. BUT...if the low it tucks too far inside the benchmark, that flow could quickly turn east, warming up boundary layer temps across Suffolk County and SE CT enough to give rain...or you could have too much 700-800 mb warming and get sleet. Latest NAM looks all snow, but may have to keep the above options on the table per latest GFS/SREF.

Wow, the 12z NAM is STARTING to come around!

My biggest fear is a dry-slot, to be honest (in western LI)

Its a distinct possibility as always when the low tracks close....you usually want to look to see how many of the models if any you find your location situated between the 700mb low and surface low, thats generally the location that dryslots...the 12Z NAM indicates that to be near SE CT and maybe the extreme eastern tip of LI at 42 hours...even though its precip field would not actually tell you thats where it is...often you cannot tell by looking at the precip field since it covers a 6 hour time period.....FYI, its been proven SE CT is one of the most dryslot prone places in the entire lower 48 in regards to low pressure systems.

I posted as well in the 12z model disco that the SREF ensembles are bullish on blizzard conditions. I know the word hasn't been tossed around much yet, but it certainly looks possible. LG on ABC7 said 40mph winds are expected tomorrow night

Blizzards are too hard to verify. The real difficulty is the visibility criteria. The wind criteria is pretty easy to reach on the coast, but keeping the visibility at or below 1/4 mile for three straight hours is not so easy. An hour or two sure, but then you get that random 3/4 mi off-hour observation when the precip lets up just a tiny bit that blows it. If I were the NWS I'd never issue a blizzard warning (for this storm anyway) and just bust in the one or two zones you could actually verify the warning. It's not like the public would know the difference in the technicalities anyway.

Wow, the 12z NAM is STARTING to come around!

My biggest fear is a dry-slot, to be honest (in western LI)

Unless the very wrapped up solutions verify, I think we should be okay. Eastern Suffolk might be a different story though. Our best solution is likely a GFS/Nam compromise on this. Probably 15" or more if the case.

I posted as well in the 12z model disco that the SREF ensembles are bullish on blizzard conditions. I know the word hasn't been tossed around much yet, but it certainly looks possible. LG on ABC7 said 40mph winds are expected tomorrow night

f42.gif

i am pretty sure parts of the okx cwa will be under blizzard warnings... the wind signal is definitely there

i am pretty sure parts of the okx cwa will be under blizzard warnings... the wind signal is definitely there

These have had a tendency to not verify in the past but this one would appear to have a very good chance...of course the PD II event blizzard warning fell flat on its face due to the weak SLP despite the 1045 high up north.

Hey guys merry xmass......i would never think i would see the day the gfs took down the others.....and the euro a mess.......guess we should consider it a gift...whats the starting time and ending on this...if someone can help me out...trying to stratigiez my plowing operation

Looking like light snow late Sunday morning with the heaviest falling Sunday night/Early Monday morning.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ paying for XMas presents :weight_lift:

Steve D had start time of noonish for So Jersey so probably 2-3 in C Jersey. Heaviest after 7 PM. Wouldnt be surprised if it was all basically over by daybreak Monday as these snowstorms tend to wrap up then for some reason. Looks like another one of those hellish overnight storms with very little sleep. Hard to get winks during Sunday while its snowing outside and might be one of those work, nap work deals

yeah it looks like its going to really ramp up at night......also with strong winds.......i get to try out the xv i bought so im pretty excited.....nam seems to moving in this pretty quick

i have to say long island would be under a blizzard warning with this strong high wind signal a strong low pressure like that sub 970 is def gonna produce very gusty winds. thinking by tonight or tommorow morning blizzard would be posted for the coastal areas, what do u think?

The problem is that they seem to be treating this like a regular snowstorm - forecasting 6-9" roughly - see newsday... They aren't buying these 12-18" totals yet, so until they do, perhaps later this PM, I don't see them putting blizzard warnings out.. I hope i am wrong..

I see this as possibly a top 10 storm for LI... you just don't see storms that track this way around these parts that produce average 6-9" events..

The problem is that they seem to be treating this like a regular snowstorm - forecasting 6-9" roughly - see newsday... They aren't buying these 12-18" totals yet, so until they do, perhaps later this PM, I don't see them putting blizzard warnings out.. I hope i am wrong..

I see this as possibly a top 10 storm for LI... you just don't see storms that track this way around these parts that produce average 6-9" events..

yea im thinking average snowfall totals on the island of a foot with more from western to eastern suffolk. the winds are gona really ramp up sunday afternoon and into monday gusts i think arent out of the question to reach 55 mph.

Most of the major snow events were playing catchup late the day before on the amounts..

No need at this point to put blizzard watches out and scare everyone. Most of the general public has no idea what the difference is between a blizzard warning and winter storm warning is anyway. Last years event which brought the blizzard warnings started off as all WSW except on LI. I thought the WSW came out 6 hours later than it should have, especially from the Jersey shore on northeast. Many people woke up this morning and since its Christmas won't turn on the TV until afternoon at best. This storm might be best spread by people traveling in their cars and hearing it come over the radio.

Serious Question, so plz dont delete - How much can we expect in the way of wind back here in the philly area? obviously not as bad as the coast, based on current progs, enough for blizz criteria?

Not in the Philadelphia burbs..could gust to 30/35 though in the burbs.

Blizzard criteria might be met at the Shore and up in North Jersey...better chances on Long Island.

It seems to be a significantly stronger wind signal than we've seen in any recent snowstorms (including 2/06 and all from last year), at least from a NYC-west standpoint. The visibility requirement would be very difficult to reach out here, but NYC on east definitely has a good shot. I agree and wouldn't be surprised to see blizzard watches/warnings for NYC & east...and for us to the west, blizzard-criteria gusts but just short on the vis req.

Archived