Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 7

am19psu

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something is wrong with the absurd ratios...it gives islip 49 inches!!!! :lmao:

even at 10:1 it gives islip over 20 inches with more than 2 inches liquid equiv.

At some hours the ratios are extremely high and thats expected with this type of air mass. Not to say it will verify but I always thought 14:1 or 16:1 was good for this just inland making NJ and the SE Upstate NY the real winners here.

The way this storm was lost, and then came back sharply in the short range with HECS totals reminds me a lot of the Jan. 22-24th 2005 super clipper. This was much more sudden though, I still cannot believe my eyes

Even PDII was not well forecast up until 2 days before...the ETA at the time had it cutting into PA with rain the morning before.

Jan '96 snow started early sunday morning, a few hours ahead of schedule. I remember the forecast on Saturday was for 6 to 10" by monday morning with more to follow but much heavier amounts to the south. Most places had reached those totals and then some by late sunday afternoon. Point being, they aren't going to go from next to nothing to blizzard and 20" accumulations immediately so makes sense that they are stressing the significance of the storm but still playing it a bit safe just in case there is an eastward shift. Not likely but after this week would anyone be shocked?

Most of the major snow events were playing catchup late the day before on the amounts..

At some hours the ratios are extremely high and thats expected with this type of air mass. Not to say it will verify but I always thought 14:1 or 16:1 was good for this just inland making NJ and the SE Upstate NY the real winners here.

islip is on long island, the south shore, and the ratios go above 20:1...that is absurd and not going to happen. :snowman:

I'm in Huntington on the North shore of long island. worried about the dry slot. someone said the dry slot is if you are between the 700 mb low and the surface low. do u know if Nassau/suffolk border is in that zone? can someone post the 700mb and surface map next to each other please.

CNN's snow map has the big amounts well inland...rain for Eastern Long Island and SW Conn.

Around 2"-4" for NYC

They must think this comes wayyyy west

For the most accurate forecasts I only trust the NWS website. Granted they are staying conservative at the moment and their is disagreement between Mt. Holly and Upton, especially along eastern NJ. As long as the models hold server at 12Z, likely we start seeing some warnings in the delmarva and south jersey. Totals will probably be based on the 12z EC.

Even PDII was not well forecast up until 2 days before...the ETA at the time had it cutting into PA with rain the morning before.

Aboslutely (I didnt know about the rain part on the ETA though :lol: ). At least that was a HECS though just missing us to the south PDII and remember a lot of folks thought it had a great chance of coming north in the short-range. 2005 and especially this storm though, we were left for dead within 2 days, no real storm anywhere, it just wasnt developing on the models up until yestedray evening (and let's have a toast for the 12z GFS and its bad data lol scoring the coup).

Archived