Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

1 hour ago, baltosquid said:

Cautiously optimistic about WNY with the ridging starting to show up on the ensembles, getting inside 300 and got all 3 votes from EPS, GEFS and GEPS.

Will be in Niagra Falls Canada so I'm rooting for a fat ol' ridge to park over itself right over the WNY area.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:13 PM, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Here’s another theoretical question: if you had to choose between clear skies partial or complete cloudy totality, which do you pick?

I would charter a plane and go all-in on totality!

On 2/12/2024 at 5:59 AM, snowfan said:

Some in the New England sub have been discussing this. They’re expecting gridlock in NNE parts of NY/VT/NH. 

I am gonnabe kickin back, enjoyin the eclipse then blasting Billy Joel tracks like Pressure while watching all the traffic with amusement.

The GEFS has a convoluted set of solutions that indicate that anything beyond the 4th should be viewed very skeptically.  There is a trough entering the lower 48 on the 4th.  A fair number of the solutions dig the trough over the intermountain west, and then a following trough interacts with it and ejects it.  Unfortunately, that is a pretty rotten result for much of the eclipse path.  Hopefully it speeds up or slows down.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Why I refuse to book flights and hotels for things like this. I’d be panicking. I’ll hop in my car and hope for the best!

We are doing more than just the eclipse but it would be a bummer 

• Like 1

The GEFS has a convoluted set of solutions that indicate that anything beyond the 4th should be viewed very skeptically.  There is a trough entering the lower 48 on the 4th.  A fair number of the solutions dig the trough over the intermountain west, and then a following trough interacts with it and ejects it.  Unfortunately, that is a pretty rotten result for much of the eclipse path.  Hopefully it speeds up or slows down.

People have been jokingly suggesting an eclipse severe weather outbreak. Would be very funny if it happened.

$1,000,000 to whoever gets an eclipse tornado photo

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

No surprise there. Everything else is pretty much going to pot. Might as well be the eclipse viewing too. Better yet, very hot and very humid in Austin, very thick clouds no rain at all, perpetuate the multi year drought while we are at it.

I won't be surprised, not one little bit.

What WILL surprise me, is I DO get to view the April 8th total eclipse in clear skies.

That's a decent trough though. This one won't die out like the others. It'll deepen, have storms on it, for Austin and all up and down the Path of Totality. Maybe even some accumulating snows on the northeastern end lol. Take an eclipse snow jebwalk! Now that's something you don't see every day.

Millions, even billions of people all jammed up together, obsessed with a once in a lifetime eclipse viewing. Every road in the Path is a parking lot, people are already fed the hell up with they cant get out, runnin outta gas, folks gonnabe fit to explode at the slightest issue! Thick clouds, even severe weather, winter storm warnings on the northeast end. Someone gets slighted, everyone is already mad as all hell at the entire world because the clouds are blocking the damned fooking eclipse all up and down the Path of Totality. Then we get the pissed off mobs, pissed off riots of the Total Eclipse of 2024. Good thing I wont be on the roads.

• Confused 1

^disaster:(

Starting to get pretty worried. 

trend is for that western trough to be weaker and slower. I was hoping it would actually be faster and clear TX before Monday. But that doesn’t look like it’s happening. So I think I need to continue to root for weaker and slower and hope it doesn’t start pulling moisture into TX until Tuesday or after. 

I'm thinking as the solution is zeroed in on, we'll stop seeing the widespread precipitation as the multitude of solutions that are distributed across the members (slower, four corners? slightly faster, affecting Texas? much faster, ejected to the east?) settles into just one. I'm not really concerned with ops, or ensemble precip maps so much, since they show a lot of signatures of individual members... I think looking at the 500mb, you just have to take that big ridge in the east and feel reasonably good about the chances for anyone at or east of the great lakes portion of the track.

58 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

I'm thinking as the solution is zeroed in on, we'll stop seeing the widespread precipitation as the multitude of solutions that are distributed across the members (slower, four corners? slightly faster, affecting Texas? much faster, ejected to the east?) settles into just one. I'm not really concerned with ops, or ensemble precip maps so much, since they show a lot of signatures of individual members... I think looking at the 500mb, you just have to take that big ridge in the east and feel reasonably good about the chances for anyone at or east of the great lakes portion of the track.

At this point the precipitation is just a proxy for cloud cover from the EPS.  I do worry about the eastern areas having a leaf of high-level cloudiness come over.  

I hedged my bets last April and booked hotel rooms in both Louisville (with a target of Bloomington, IN or southern IL) and Syracuse.  Worst case scenario for me is probably WxUSAF's best-case scenario, where the trough ends up clearing the Texas area, but is dousing the Ohio River Valley and cloudiness has spread over the rest of the northeastern US.

I'll be visiting my brother and sister-in-law in the Cleveland area for the eclipse.  My expectations there are not the greatest, as I'm all too familiar with the fact that northeast Ohio plus early April typically equals crappy weather.  Not much you can do about it and I'm not in a position to have various disparate locations to go to if needed, on very short notice.  However, if by chance it looks cloudy where my brother is but somewhere within say 50 miles is likely to be clear, we may well just drive early on the 8th and set up to watch there.  But even that would have to be spur-of-the-moment.

My hope is that it's at least reasonably clear for the event.  I certainly don't expect completely clear, blue skies with not a wisp of clouds.  Not in April in Ohio.  As long as it's decently visible in that time frame through the duration of the eclipse I guess.  Worst case scenario, I figure, is that we're socked in with crap and it's just a fun couple of days' visit all the same.

33 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm not in a position to have various disparate locations to go to if needed, on very short notice. 

Same here. We're just going to the house we have booked in Ohio and rolling the dice at this point. It'll still get dark and we've never been to Ohio, so it'll be a fun trip at least seeing a new state. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Same here. We're just going to the house we have booked in Ohio and rolling the dice at this point. It'll still get dark and we've never been to Ohio, so it'll be a fun trip at least seeing a new state. 

Yup, I hear you!  I hope you have a great time in Ohio, regardless of how the weather is for the eclipse!  But hopefully that will cooperate as well!  I grew up in northeast Ohio, which is why I'm familiar with how early April can be.  It's not always crap, but it's not typically the best time of year for good weather (hell, the Indians/Guardians have had games SNOWED OUT before!!!).  All I can do is cross my fingers that at least a few hours Monday afternoon will be nice enough.

• Like 1

Ridge placement looks improved for the northeast through the 00z ensembles and 06z GEFS. Gotta keep rooting for that low up in Canada to walk back westwards, let that high be totally unmolested! Some PWAT negative anomalies really starting to creep in towards Buffalo now as well, as that shift west moves the moisture train from the gulf farther away.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic