Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

What’s your profession that you are on the water all winter?

I spent many years with the Army Corps of Engineers as a hydrographic survey captain and technician.  About a year into Covid, a myriad of changes occurred and I began to realize that there were more opportunities for me to better enjoy my life and to capitalize off of my skills as a captain with a 200 ton license.  I wanted to spend less time traveling with an inefficient and ineffective governmental agency, and more time doing work that I did not vehemently oppose.   Let's put it this way.... I watched the government change over the years, evolving into something that was no longer for me.  During that time, I did however operate many state of the art vessels and learn waterways and regions that I otherwise would not have, year round.   When the mandates and work from home began, many of us were left working in the field, but our data was often a waste, because processors were no longer fulfilling their duties.  It became busy work, rather than work with a purpose. 

But I digress.  With my credentials and knowledge of on-water operations, I began searching for new work.  It didn't take long.  I took a position running a commercial towing and salvage operation.   From assisting boaters during the summer that find themselves in a pickle, to assisting first responders and actually saving lives on several occasions, I found my new calling.  The paychecks were also acceptable, in conjunction with the real estate I have acquired over the years. On my days off, I still am a fishing guide on my personal boats.  I also do long transport of vessels up and down the East Coast during the winter, along with one or two commercial tows a week during the same winter months.   When I'm not working, I'm hunting with my dog and spending time with family.  It's a dream job for someone who is wired like myself.  I get to enjoy the short time we are afforded in a lifetime, and I get to help people in a different way than the Corps allowed me to.  Retirement has never appealed to me.  I'd lose my mind.

I appreciate those who can do desk work.  I know I never could.  If I'm not outside for most of the day, I'm not fulfilled.   I've always been into meteorology and science in general.  No better way to study it than to experience it in all its forms in many different regions.  

Sorry for the long response.  It's been an adventure.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I live in between the 3 Great Lakes and ground is barren here in Toronto. I was up north over the weekend and only those downwind of the lakes (thanks to lake effect snow), have snow on the ground (4-6"). But with the warmth this past week and continuing warmth for the next 10 days, it'll all melt. No ice on the lakes either.  

I was in NYC/LI the last 2 days for a work conference. I didn't know it was gloomy here too. 

Quite a snow cover extent roller coaster ride this winter across North America.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/HTML/snow_extent_monitor.html

41471AC9-61F2-4BD0-8207-C4C9A2146AB4.png.9a2026ac09e6f240a9c1b6556a1d636e.png

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

20-21 was a good season around NYC and Long Island. But it was no match for the best seasons from 2010 to 2018 in those locations. The storm tracks closer to the coast were too warm and tucked in with the south based block boosting heights too much east of New England. So the interior spots which were colder did much better. January 2022 was the snowiest on record at ACY, but the cold couldn’t be sustained so they only finished the season 10th snowiest. ACY couldn’t match the best seasons from 2010 to 2018. 

it's interesting how ACY, which is 100 miles south of us, did better in 2022.  That reminds me of an 80s type winter.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Colder I'm on board with but to use Major Snowstorm "likely"....seems a bit aggressive to me at this point.

They kinda twisted what he actually said 

"I'm thinking there's still the potential for at least another 15 inches of snow around here," Nick forecasts. And we'll likely see even higher totals inland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's interesting how ACY, which is 100 miles south of us, did better in 2022.  That reminds me of an 80s type winter.

Suffolk did better than ACY in 2022 but we couldn’t sustain the cold and snow for more than a month. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It should be noted that a national shift does not mean an Eastern U.S. shift. Here are the clusters at 360 hours:

image.thumb.png.e8fdc0a3add8d75a0c5752eb3fb81356.png

I continue to expect that a shift to colder weather will occur in the Northeast near mid-month. The 12z GFS is an outlier at the end of its range and not supported by the GEFS.

9 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It should be noted that a national shift does not mean an Eastern U.S. shift. Here are the clusters at 360 hours:

I continue to expect that a shift to colder weather will occur in the Northeast near mid-month. The 12z GFS is an outlier at the end of its range and not supported by the GEFS.

I'll take cluster 3 for the win.  Cluster 2 for the consolation prize.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Do you mean this "data"???

gfs_T2ma_us_65.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

They kinda twisted what he actually said 

"I'm thinking there's still the potential for at least another 15 inches of snow around here," Nick forecasts. And we'll likely see even higher totals inland.

even "at least another 15 inches of snow" sounds like hype, that's many times more snow than we've had in the last 2 years.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

even "at least another 15 inches of snow" sounds like hype, that's many times more snow than we've had in the last 2 years.

Potential for. I mean every winter month has potential for 15 inches. Seasonal forecasts called for potential for 30 to 40". It's not really a forecast 

• Like 1

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

And let me once again state for the record that I consider a pattern change to be one that lasts for at least 3 weeks....but considering what has taken place, I may have to settle for a pattern change that lasts for 3+ hours.

Did you see the map that was posted on that page?

I mean it's Fox, so we can't expect much, but still.

I'm not sure how much input Nick Gregory had in writing that, more likely the Fox hype machine did it all on their own.

• Thanks 1