• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol…well aren’t you the big guy on campus. 

Pot kettle black. It was loosely CC. Sorry you didn’t like a few posts discussing summer heat events. I’ll remember this when you mention snow in any JJA thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well, luckily for heat enthusiasts, they are is an excessively dry winter scenario that’s unfolded across the northern plains. 

And I think the northern plains is actually key for our heat source. I’ve never been really impressed looking at all historical analogues with regard to WAR heat transports because even back before we started suffering higher theta-E everywhere that was always a dewpoint bulk type of hot air mass. Heat index values might still be up there and it doesn’t diminish whatever… but our biggest T side heat tends to be over the top. 

Yeah I’d agree on that. We haven’t had a lot of dryness out there since the early 2010s. We had some good heat domes move over the top those years. I think ORH got 96 one of those years. (Maybe 2011)

Certainly a dry winter helps start the process since you basically get very little melting runoff in the spring with those warm/dry winters. 

I just noticed that BOX records added some missing data from the 90s. Originally I though that 01/29/22 was the largest single-day snowfall at PVD with 18.8", but it turns out it was actually 01/08/96 with 19.0". Storm total for that event was 24.5", the second-largest on record for PVD after 1978. Also, April Fools Day 1997 dropped 18.0" at PVD, which wasn't in the records before.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pot kettle black. It was loosely CC. Sorry you didn’t like a few posts discussing summer heat events. I’ll remember this when you mention snow in any JJA thread. 

It wasn’t just a few posts, It was all last night and all this morning too…and I didn’t make one comment on any of it. I don’t think it was an unreasonable request, being we have threads for those types of topics.  

And I’m not really here in June July and August.  But whatever. 

• Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro getting a little more interesting for Saturday in southern zones. 

This was torpedoing down the L.I. sound 3 or 4 days ago but has since been a D.C. Baltimore to Philly deal.

The thing is ... it fits the -EPO.  Very robust/ high SD negative mode up there, and the downstream coupled wave argument should nadir the flow across S/SE Canada ... which seems to support the southerly track position/correction.

However, if the wave itself is strong enough it will imperceptibly favor a N tick, too.   You know it's interesting that regardless of whether it's down there here or wherever that the models have had this little critter for like 9 days. LOL wow... can't buy a f'um token's worth of that kind of persistence wrt anything else - jesus christ

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Low looks a touch stronger and perhaps a tick north on this run. Not far from being more meaningful in southern CT. 

The trough position is pretty favorable for our area but the base it just a bit rounder/diffuse. If we sharpen that little vort near Philly a bit more, then there could be a decent stripe of moderate snows over southern CT/RI. Wouldn’t take much. I’d need more up this way…but even as is, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a steady light mood snow across a chunk of the area on Saturday predawn/Saturday morning. 

IMG_0300.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Trending maybe…let’s do this. 

I’m wary of the Euro but as Will said the synoptic look is close. At this point it’s clear we need luck for any opportunity to produce so we just watch and hope for snow on snow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Right... The "LR " lol

We may get some warmth then... But, all this talk of it being the end of Winter by the end of this month is speculation. So much can and will happen as we head into March. And of course it's the transition month from Winter to Spring, but as we've seen in many Winters past, we can get some whoppers in March ( and we already know about the Sun angle deal ). 

Yeah of course, no one's saying it won't be cold or snow. I think many folks are looking forward to milder temps at this point,  just trying to stay positive and look at the glass half full