• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You will be wishing for spring next week. 

I know - did you see the 12z Euro ?  gelid hell.

It creates a standing R- wave that happens to place a continental cold conveyor axis right through New England ... sub 520 dm non hydrostatic hgts in a laminar sort of 40 mph wind

• Like 2

The cold should be expected, though.  

There's a very strong -EPO signal from every telecon source that's been in the projections for over a week, positioned between ~ the 13th and the 20th... 7 days of cold loading into the Canadian shield still on the polar side of the Equinox probably not a warm look along the NP-GL-NE garland.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

EPS also ejects an amplifying wave for the 23rd. wild how clearly this shows up along with the PNA spike and decaying block. very favorable hemispheric look

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1707393600-1708516800-1708689600-100-1.thumb.gif.d9a4facb7ececf0d004feac84986e705.gif

agreed ... the 20th may be the next in the hemispheric cycle - I realize that's the 23rd but I suspect it's all within shuffling range, either way

• Like 1

If I were to be picky, I'd like to see less troughing over the Bering Sea, and more of an Aleutian low develop. Verbatim the look is fine thanks to decaying blocking and still some ridging out west, but that Bering Sea trough and strong PAC jet just south of it have me question how long this lasts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If I were to be picky, I'd like to see less troughing over the Bering Sea, and more of an Aleutian low develop. Verbatim the look is fine thanks to decaying blocking and still some ridging out west, but that Bering Sea trough and strong PAC jet just south of it have me question how long this lasts. 

i think you're getting there, the trough is retrograding

Okay, ... a gift for Scott, Ray and Kevin

Today marks the first day removed having exited the perennial solar minimum, after spending 91.25 days since Nov 8, in the cave of winter

This is now the solar transition where moving forward the +delta in daily irradiance begins the equinox acceleration.   

yay!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Today marks the first day removed having exited the perennial solar minimum, after spending 91.25 days since Nov 8, in the cave of winter

This is now the solar transition where moving forward the +delta in daily irradiance begins the equinox acceleration.   

yay!

The warming of a gelid nape is quite a thing!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yay!

My crack is already emitting radiance upon exiting the autimobile...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

GFs making winter great again

That clipper shortwave at the end of next week is pretty interesting too. It’s been on almost all guidance but some of the models suppress it but GFS has been more bullish for us. I’d love a nice old school clipper that gives us a solid 3-6 on top of existing pack. 

We finally have a western ridge with an active northern stream…something we’ve lacked much of the last few winters…and that type of pattern is good for clippers. 

• Like 7

Gorgeous day today - not sure it made it past 45 but it felt like 50's outside today - full sun as well. First time the snowpack felt vulnerable, had water streaming off the roof at one point from melting, and I finally have one spot where yard is showing - over the septic tank (gross).

A real weenie would take the tractor and use the loader to dump spare snow over the bare spot, but this weenie doesn't want to (literally, because I do this figuratively all the time) collapse into a pit of his own shit.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That clipper shortwave at the end of next week is pretty interesting too. It’s been on almost all guidance but some of the models suppress it but GFS has been more bullish for us. I’d love a nice old school clipper that gives us a solid 3-6 on top of existing pack. 

We finally have a western ridge with an active northern stream…something we’ve lacked much of the last few winters…and that type of pattern is good for clippers. 

I mean the mid level jet mechanics are approaching upper bound material with wind exceeding 130 kts at 500 in a jet tube that spans WI to S of LI.  wtf

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I mean the mid level jet mechanics are approaching upper bound material with wind exceeding 130 kts at 500 in a jet tube that spans WI to S of LI.  wtf

Yeah that’s close to a Lance Bosart “little critter” setup. Rip a high-end jet streak on a clipper just south of LI….positive bust template. Hopefully it’s trackable next week. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that’s close to a Lance Bosart “little critter” setup. Rip a high-end jet streak on a clipper just south of LI….positive bust template. Hopefully it’s trackable next week. 

get the amplitude a little higher and you have a sneaky nuke. some of the other GFS runs had quick hitting 3-6/4-8" type events

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

extremely potent signal on the EPS

IMG_4689.thumb.gif.6069ff63d53d7e655999540a5a7cfbaf.gif

I’m addition to the strong 2/24 signal, we’re starting to see a cluster of lows show up near the BM and further southwest (timing variance) on the individual ensemble plot for 2/19ish. Pretty good to start seeing some clusters at D10

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

You loves those 300 hr op runs especially when they’re warm.  Maybe this is one step in the middle of a pattern progression but do you think this is really how it’s going to play out on a larger scale?

its not like we haven't seen the SE ridge like up into the NAO region with a trough out west, o wait.