Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

feels like we have been stuck on 384 for 4 days

Perception bias.  The day 16 was "getting close" so people were extrapolating it.  In reality the last week its been progressing consistently.  

Day 16 4 days ago

4daysago.thumb.png.10cc1e7495cab8ba4d6e5e55a4081a84.png

Day 16 3 days ago

3daysago.thumb.png.4434fe3f3e21060fc2e4b15bc4d1c034.png

Day 16 2 days ago

2daysago.thumb.png.4debb3d3862de952c2d855ef478c923d.png

Day 16 Yesterday

1dayago.thumb.png.4a440fe013bad0f9eb32db8d13506f23.png

Day 16 now

0daysago.thumb.png.e57a37ca5f898cfa50431d7cb17ce4f6.png

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Day 16 4 days ago

Day 16 3 days ago

Day 16 2 days ago

Day 16 Yesterday

Day 16 now

Yeah, its been showing it at Day 16 for a week now actually. But inside 16-days it's not holding the same strength is hit point.. today might be different though, because we're starting to pop a strong western ridge too, it's becoming a more organized pattern on the Day 16 model

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Yeah, its been showing it at Day 16 for a week now actually. But inside 16-days it's not holding the same strength is hit point.. today might be different though, because we're starting to pop a strong western ridge too, it's becoming a more organized pattern on the Day 16 model

The inception of the pattern, which is in the Pacific, has been on day 16 for a few days, but it takes a while to reshuffle the downstream pattern over N America and that has been progressing consistently, people are just trying to rush it, understandably.  

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Perception bias.  The day 16 was "getting close" so people were extrapolating it.  In reality the last week its been progressing consistently.  

Day 16 4 days ago

4daysago.thumb.png.10cc1e7495cab8ba4d6e5e55a4081a84.png

Day 16 3 days ago

3daysago.thumb.png.4434fe3f3e21060fc2e4b15bc4d1c034.png

Day 16 2 days ago

2daysago.thumb.png.4debb3d3862de952c2d855ef478c923d.png

Day 16 Yesterday

1dayago.thumb.png.4a440fe013bad0f9eb32db8d13506f23.png

Day 16 now

0daysago.thumb.png.e57a37ca5f898cfa50431d7cb17ce4f6.png

umm...the first image was for Feb 10th...that looks pretty pretty good....but look at Feb 10th now....the can has been kicked dude. Not by a week or so but it was kicked

index (94).png

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I hope the 14th holds, about the time MJO should be heading into 8....

IMG_3056.png

actually phase 7 in Nino in Feb isnt awful like it is in other winters but yea....

31 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

GEFS quickly turns cold starting on Feb 14. This is our new target.

It may have shifted a couple days later from a week ago, but we're at the point that we cannot afford another delay, however minor it is.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_65.thumb.png.65a37b161bb95df5f2c045adacfcdab8.png

Bad trend to delayed to later 

25 minutes ago, Ji said:

umm...the first image was for Feb 10th...that looks pretty pretty good....but look at Feb 10th now....the can has been kicked dude. Not by a week or so but it was kicked

index (94).png

that's a result of less smoothing. the main features in that pattern are in similar spots

• Like 1

for people that want the pattern to change, they are looking for literally any evidence that the "can is being kicked." odd

it really hasn't been. everything has been remarkably consistent across all ensembles, and a lot of the "kicking" is just features getting sharper with time as lead time decreases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

for people that want the pattern to change, they are looking for literally any evidence that the "can is being kicked." odd

it really hasn't been. everything has been remarkably consistent across all ensembles, and a lot of the "kicking" is just features getting sharper with time as lead time decreases

We're going to go into Feb 13/14 with no snow. Global models had us below average temps/above normal precip for Jan and February, almost every run going back to September. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

We're going to go into Feb 13/14 with no snow. Global models had us below average temps/above normal precip for Jan and February, almost every run going back to September. 

Shut Up - Rachel McAdams As Regina George In Mean Girls GIF - MeanGirls ...

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Ji said:

index (94).png

Image2.png.e57fb3bf15611ad140ccf51ce3f17a11.png

1047735654_Image1.png.01b0680f5764f1468a38ae9353cf7e40.png

In actuality those 2 plots look about the same.  The difference is the second one is 4 days closer so details are being resolved.  The features are sharper.   But look at the location of the 4 main features in the pattern A,B,C,D are all located in about the same places.  But we are seeing the ridging in between the two troughs (B and D) clearer now as the ensembles resolve timing issues and zero in on the exact location of the features.  The fact that we are directly in between the waves and the ridge is showing right over us makes it look worse...but in reality those are the same plots just one is what the same pattern looks like as it gets closer.  

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

what?? did you forget about the 6-12" we got 2 weeks ago

we are average to date right now lmaoimage.png.c49d977918f643afa978e083340febc6.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I really think part of it is that some don't understand the difference between what a single day is likely to look like at day 16 and what that same day would be likely to look like by day 10.  For example, several days ago day 16 heights over the east looked near average but with a wave/trough centered to our west and one to our east.  But timing differences on the members washes out the ridge that was likely to be in between these troughs.  Now that it has become day 10-12 and the timing differences are being resolved there is a ridge over us during that period between the two waves, and that "red over us" just makes it feel worse when people glance at it.  But in reality its the same exact pattern that was being projected.  That's what I think is going on.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

In actuality those 2 plots look about the same. 

We were saying before that a -NAO may be hard to comeby. That shift in the mean-ridge from the south Davis strait (south based -NAO) to basically over Ontario is kind of important, because the model is now including our 80-degree day a few days ago. The analogs I was looking at were saying the +AO/NAO could be hard to switch, and look, the -NAO ridge shifted south. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I really think part of it is that some don't understand the difference between what a single day is likely to look like at day 16 and what that same day would be likely to look like by day 10.  For example, several days ago day 16 heights over the east looked near average but with a wave/trough centered to our west and one to our east.  But timing differences on the members washes out the ridge that was likely to be in between these troughs.  Now that it has become day 10-12 and the timing differences are being resolved there is a ridge over us during that period between the two waves, and that "red over us" just makes it feel worse when people glance at it.  But in reality its the same exact pattern that was being projected.  That's what I think is going on.  

the EPS is a day from totally opening everything up. right on time 

1707825600-kzAxY0IUVxY.thumb.png.2cecd91b1cd336742cde26172843eb0c.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

We were saying before that a -NAO may be hard to comeby. That shift in the mean-ridge from the south Davis strait (south-based -NAO) to basically over Ontario is kind of important, because the model is now including our 80-degree day a few days ago. The analogs I was looking at were saying the +AO/NAO could be hard to switch, and look the -NAO ridge shifted south. 

The ridge is centered in the exact same place on both plots 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We understand it’s an ever changing situation to cover the bases of 0 to 12”._

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the EPS is a day from totally opening everything up. right on time 

1707825600-kzAxY0IUVxY.thumb.png.2cecd91b1cd336742cde26172843eb0c.png

Yea, I know.  I think what happened was there was kind of a false flag, between the Feb 6 "threat" popping up, and the fact that at day 16 the ridge was washed out and so the pattern looked more workable then perhaps it ever really was around Feb 10th, people started to push up the timeline.  A week ago I targeted Feb 10-15 as the transition period and after Feb 15 and "good" and I have not wavered from that and so everything is "right on target" for me.  But obviously some wanted to jump right into the snowstravaganza by Feb 10 and so are disappointed now.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

people are just kinda losing it. it’s gotten tough to post 

As a long time lurker from the Philly area, I learn a lot from the information that good Mets post on this forum.  Don’t let the negativity from others bring you down.  There are a lot of people who get something valuable from information that gets posted and explained on here.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2