• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cold Shot: Part Duex - January 18-20th Arctic Blast and Freezing Rain/Snow Event

John1122

I'm happy for everyone. It was amazing the difference of a few miles in the Chattanooga area. I'm in Ooltewah where we might have received 1/4" of snow. 6 miles to our north started the accumulating snowfall. 2" and then higher totals of 6-10. All the snow was north and east of us 6 miles. Maybe 8 miles away in Harrison near the lake 4" was widespread. We received the warm nose shaft here. Oh so close.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Got to see it for myself today going up 27 to Dayton. May have had 1.5 in at my place in red bank. Each mile that I went was more and more and more snow. It was kinda depressing seeing how close we were to hitting this huge storm.

• Like 1

13.8 here with steady light snow falling. Moderate at times. The DGZ is only a few hundred feet above us at this point so radar is useless in determining precipitation. Pretty amazing event! Totals not particularly heavy but a pretty awesome end to the wintry week. 

blowing snow really reduces visibility at times here.

• Like 3

Side roads here today are worse than they been thru the entire event. Whitley County came thru yesterday and plowed off the fresh snow that had fallen on top of the pack and spread salt for the first time. The packed snow and ice packed melted slightly but they couldn't plow it off, they tried all afternoon. Then artic air "part duex" arrived refroze it all into even a thicker layer of ICE. 

old school snow event, reminds me of 90's

PXL_20240120_145257423 (2).jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, John1122 said:

Thought it may be nearly over but back to about 1/2 or less mile vis with fluffy quarters filling the air. 

John, you need to become a Cocorahs Observer. We need Official Reports from that Area. KMRX would use your Rain/Snow Totals. Contact KMRX and they'll help set you up. May even provide an Official Gauge. 

• Like 1

I received 6 inches from this past system. 5 inches from the first. I believe this is the most snow on the ground since 2014. This will definitely be a memorable week of winter weather for quite a while. So nice to see snow everywhere. It feels like such a rarity these days.

• Like 4

I wonder who won the battle of the flow snow between Snowshoe and Beech/Sugar Mtn? Models were spitting out ridiculous numbers at SS in the run up but I'd be shocked if they were higher than what Beech ended up.  I've heard reports from 16 inches upwards of more than two feet, But with all that wind who knows.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BuCoVaWx said:

I received 6 inches from this past system. 5 inches from the first. I believe this is the most snow on the ground since 2014. This will definitely be a memorable week of winter weather for quite a while. So nice to see snow everywhere. It feels like such a rarity these days.

Didnt you get blasted in February 2015 like we did ? There was over 2 feet on the ground in Pennington gap and Big Stone gap at one time. Over 40 inches fell in 3 weeks !

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Didnt you get blasted in February 2015 like we did ? There was over 2 feet on the ground in Pennington gap and Big Stone gap at one time. Over 40 inches fell in 3 weeks !

Wow! That is a lot in 3 weeks. If I'm not mistaken (I very well could be), I think we ended up with around 9 inches with that storm. There have been quite a few times I have received a bit lower totals compared to areas just south and/or east. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigbald said:

I wonder who won the battle of the flow snow between Snowshoe and Beech/Sugar Mtn? Models were spitting out ridiculous numbers at SS in the run up but I'd be shocked if they were higher than what Beech ended up.  I've heard reports from 16 inches upwards of more than two feet, But with all that wind who knows.

Yeah big time snows over here in WNC. One of the best upslope events in a long time. 

• Like 3

Our high was 10 today but it currently says -4. Doesn't sound like it could be right but it has been steadily dropping since 4pm. I can't see us getting much lower than this here in Crossville though with the warmer air filtering in early tomorrow. The hot water in my bathroom is frozen currently so hopefully that will unthaw without busting.

EDIT: Right after I posted, it went to -5 :O

No description available.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah big time snows over here in WNC. One of the best upslope events in a long time. 

I loosely watched radar returns at both SS and Beech, it looked like Beech had more and better returns.  I haven't heard anyone gawking at SS aftermath.  I watched it unfold at the base of Sugar, man it was magical 48 hrs.  Skied Friday until the bitter cold got the best of me.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Our high was 10 today but it currently says -4. Doesn't sound like it could be right but it has been steadily dropping since 4pm. I can't see us getting much lower than this here in Crossville though with the warmer air filtering in early tomorrow. The hot water in my bathroom is frozen currently so hopefully that will unthaw without busting.

EDIT: Right after I posted, it went to -5 :O

No description available.

That's impressive! You may land around -10 or -15. I'm down to -1. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John1122 said:

That's impressive! You may land around -10 or -15. I'm down to -1. 

Our low is showing 0, while places to our east are showing that they should be a little colder than us tonight, so I figure they expect it to stabilize or gradually get warmer. It is now -4, so seems to have tapered off and may not drop much more through the night. 

Last night we got down to -2 and the forecast was around 5 I believe.

• Like 1

A couple days ago the forecast high today was 33, then it was 31, looks like I'm gonna top out at 26, as the sun is setting here. After the high being 11 yesterday, and -4 this morning, technically our 4th day below zero, of this outbreak. This one will definitely go down in the memory banks for 95 percent of the forum. It stinks that the far southeast areas mostly missed out, but it just shows how hard it is to get a truly statewide event. The Arctic Invasion that allowed a forum wide winter storm in 1996 had highs near 0 and lows in the -20 range. This is like a mini version of it. 

• Like 2

A couple days ago the forecast high today was 33, then it was 31, looks like I'm gonna top out at 26, as the sun is setting here. After the high being 11 yesterday, and -4 this morning, technically our 4th day below zero, of this outbreak. This one will definitely go down in the memory banks for 95 percent of the forum. It stinks that the far southeast areas mostly missed out, but it just shows how hard it is to get a truly statewide event. The Arctic Invasion that allowed a forum wide winter storm in 1996 had highs near 0 and lows in the -20 range. This is like a mini version of it. 
My high did the same thing for today. Originally forecast 2 days ago to be 34, then changed to be 31 only topped out at 28. This may not be the most extreme cold snap in East Tennessee, but it will be well remembered for both the intense cold long duration and amount of time snow has been on the ground. Now at a week from first snow and cold. A week later still have about 7 or 8 inches of snow left on the ground. Only lost a small amount to sublimation, think the freezing rain locked it in so that it cannot sublimate as quickly as a normal snow would have.

• Like 3

That’s a good point about the freezing rain locking the snow in. Once you break the top iced over layer, it’s a powdery as it ever was under that ice. Amazing that it’s lasted this long. Only south facing slopes and ditch banks are showing bare spots around here, and of course roof tops that face directly into the sun. Quite literally one of the longest lasting events I’ve seen in many years!

• Like 2

• Mr Bob featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic