Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

7 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Quite possibly they were my first as well in that same timeframe, came over here in 2014.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Those were also my first weather forums. Probably back in 07. That place could get a bit interesting at times, to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

I think I'm cautiously optimistic here...only thing I haven't liked today was the GEFS has cut totals every run since 6z, but that could be more smoothing as we draw closer (or at least I hope so)

I haven't looked at the panels but would assume as we get closer some massive outlier runs start going away. It's also going beyond their useful phase imo. 

• Like 2

Toots Weather Forum was a good one for east TN snow homerism.  Toot could hug a snowy model till the end.  Toot was apparently a little abrasive in various weather communities and died tragically young.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

Toots Weather Forum was a good one for east TN snow homerism.  Toot could hug a snowy model till the end.  Toot was apparently a little abrasive in various weather communities and died tragically young.  

We should make a banter thread about historical weather forums.  There's a lot that could be said lol.  RIP Toot.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Sadly, I think MRX will go with WSW for the entire CWA except Hamilton, Bradley, and Polk Counties. I think this one is going to be quite painful for SE TN snow lovers to watch. Likely to be the only area in the state shut out.

Think it will be I-40 and north for the valley, all plateau/mountains. They will probably hold off on Southern valley unless there is some changes across all the models.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

Think it will be I-40 and north for the valley, all plateau/mountains. They will probably hold off on Southern valley unless there is some changes across all the models.

They would be foolish to leave out Meigs and Rhea at this point. That just leaves the southern border counties. I wish I could say I've never seen that before, but sadly I have.

• Like 2

Just now, TellicoWx said:

With the new criteria, I think everyone probably gets the Winter Storm Watch, ironically, I've got less chance as of now than other areas because criteria is different here it looks like 

• Like 4

With the new criteria, I think everyone probably gets the Winter Storm Watch, ironically, I've got less chance as of now than other areas because criteria is different here it looks like 
Agree especially considering portions of Hamilton county is consistently 3" or higher even if chatty isn't.

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

You can issue a WSW outside the window,but i think most mets frown on it,who ever issued it must feel pretty comfident

• Like 2

I don’t understand the new criteria, or the thinking behind changing it. It doesn’t change the outcome regardless what products they put out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I don’t understand the new criteria, or the thinking behind changing it. It doesn’t change the outcome regardless what products they put out.

They determined that it takes less snow to cause major problems in the Southern and Central Valley of the Eastern areas vs the Plateau/Mountains. Here they seem to have done away with the 6 inches/24 hours requirement. There's also forecaster discretion as  Jax noted. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Agree especially considering portions of Hamilton county is consistently 3" or higher even if chatty isn't.

Historically, MRX considers Hamilton county to mean Chattanooga. They won't issue advisories or warnings if the event only affects Lookout and Signal mountains for example. I don't see them doing anything differently this time.

• Like 2

They determined that it takes less snow to cause major problems in the Southern and Central Valley of the Eastern areas vs the Plateau/Mountains. Here they seem to have done away with the 6 inches/24 hours requirement. There's also forecaster discretion as  Jax noted. 

I feel like typically in and around Knoxville it takes more than 2 or 3 inches to cause any problems unless we are dealing with temps closer to 20 degrees. 75% of the time we end up with more QPF from brine than Mother Nature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Historically, MRX considers Hamilton county to mean Chattanooga. They won't issue advisories or warnings if the event only affects Lookout and Signal mountains for example. I don't see them doing anything differently this time.

It'll be interesting to watch the Friday storm unfold for that area.

Screenshot-2024-01-12-211433.png

• Like 3

Yeah I think that is a serious problem. Though I wasn't really referring to the plateau sections vs city but that also, most modeling has shown a huge difference from state line, which close to 40 miles from Birchwood in northern Hamilton on Meigs border. Similar for Meigs itself large differences across the roughly 40 miles from Birchwood on the Hamilton county line to Ten Mile on the Roane line. I've always hated that generally only tornado warnings and flood advisories seem to be the only products issued granularly with the exception of splitting the mountain counties by elevation which they do. 40 miles from one side to the other of a county can be very different in terms of weather conditions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaxjagman said:

Plateau gets hammered by that run

Yeah, the whole mid-state above the bottom tier of counties does. It was odd, I had 20dbz+ returns on there for something like 12 hours before getting to an inch. Then the model depicted 30 dbz for 3 hours and I went to 5 inches. 

I'm going to chaulk it up as continued NAM being the NAM at range for that odd evolution. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic