Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

93 was obviously a HECS, but not based on snow totals along I95

Was an intern at the Climate Analysis center at the time! We had a briefing with the weather folks on the 6th floor where we could look at maps and hear what they were thinking for the long range! That was one of the wildest storms ever! 

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

EPS has us back in colder pattern by the end of the month but it dosent look especially wet initially

index (50).png

Looks like a weak clipper and/or collision pattern for us. The linked pna/epo ridge will shut off the northern stream. They'll still exist but NS shortwaves will originate over the ice cap lol. I don't think it will be a dry pattern in the deep south/east coast. Split flow off the CA coast will let stuff undercut the ridges in the west. No real blocking so storm track can end up anywhere but with cold air cycling down on a SE trajectory over the lakes, an undercutter can easily collide with this. Best analog I can think of is Feb 2003 lol

image.thumb.png.326767779cadb27a2dd8f66487c9cc66.png

• Like 17

The primary differences between the current d15 ens means and Feb 2003 are the scandi ridge blocking 50/50s from running away and the SW conus had an open door for shortwaves. No guidance is showing a scandi ridge but we don't need that anyways. Just a modest-ao or nao can do the same thing. Plenty of hints that may happen. While the pattern as shown could start out dry, I don't think that will last.

My guess is the first carve end of month hits us flush with cooler air but the trough will carve/broaden in succession as the +PNA shifts and backs off. Just a guess. We'll see

Screenshot_20240117-082539_Chrome.jpg

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Why because it might be dry like Ji mentioned?

Pretty much....at least to start out. As Chill noted, we probably dont shut off the stj but it gets shunted S and we wait for the relax or some renegade NS system. Better than a shit the blinds look, that's for sure.

Correlation is down at .74 so not great matches but still a weird D11+ set. Top analogs all have snow events centered. Some are rain first then snow a few days later. Looking at the height pattern I would not have guessed those results. Maybe a poor sample or maybe a sign the pattern can ramp quick once we get thru next week 

image.png.63ee7ef5776ce718c2fc9e7800aa0eb6.png

• Like 5

Pretty much....at least to start out. As Chill noted, we probably dont shut off the stj but it gets shunted S and we wait for the relax or some renegade NS system. Better than a shit the blinds look, that's for sure.

Not necessarily opposed to the jet being shunted south if we don’t also have an overwhelming block to shove storms out to sea. Leaves room for us to get a bit lucky and have a storm track up from the south off the NC VA coastline. +PNA helps when we don’t have an omega 2 or 3 block in place. Room to score, even if unconventional.
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic