Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

7 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Actually Check that Brooklyn, I didn’t really do a deep dive beyond the 20th yet. On second look, wow. Stealing some of this from Brian on our forum… This isn’t an Atlantic blocking pattern, but -EPO, Cold air available. Split flow. Cold air gradient where we want it to be I bet anomalies are BN for temps1be487ad8c505a263efba99c4a1ad062.jpg

46178c498a248b353b53e4e71629c4ec.jpg
ff3337f7a173704631c52eddbf2af888.jpg

I see what you are saying, and historically I would be more excited...but given recent trends do we think that would still be "cold enough"?  Also, its a deamplifying pattern with no real thermal boundary in the east, just a big dome of decaying cold under the NS.  Not sure how likely getting an organized storm there would be.  Anything that amplified would seek out the real thermal boundary way up to our north.  So while its not the torch you might think looking at the H5 I am not enthused at the chances of snow there either.  

BUT...the pacific is already aligning into the PERFECT look by day 15 to begin the process of getting back to a good snowstorm threat window by early February, that is the best thing I take from that day 15.  

• Like 4
  • Weenie 2

Well this is it... we are getting the exact pattern we wanted from this Nino and its lining up exactly with our best snow climo.

Next 30 days on EPS

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_30day-7350400.thumb.png.81c0868813ca9bc41dc48fb3b4e2f24f.png

Temps 

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-nhemi-t2m_c_anom_46day-8732800.thumb.png.eeddc7c78755f93c2b6c84762765b6bf.png

If we don't get a lot of snow out of this it won't be because we didn't get the nino pattern we wanted.  

• Like 18

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree with everything you said, but "better" is a low bar given what the recent results have been lol.   

true, but then it kind of comes down to expectations.  And understandably yours are generally higher given you average 200%+ of my climo.   I'm not really a HECS chaser.  I'd lock in a 3-4" front end thump just to get on the board

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

true, but then it kind of comes down to expectations.  And understandably yours are generally higher given you average 200%+ of my climo.   I'm not really a HECS chaser.  I'd lock in a 3-4" front end thump just to get on the board

Same.  Remember the ol' 3 to 5/6 storms?  Those were the days

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Frankly we've already had the pattern since Xmas...just not the snow yet 

compday.2UPvJpxdS4.gif.32bf15dfa53516c2ce2923de0b42c69a.gif

part of me wants this to fail to see the ultimate winter will never happen again post for you and a total meltdown of the ages

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, winter_warlock said:

23 members have me getting accumulated  snows in central md. Not bad for 6 days out. Im sure it will change a few times lol

i dont see many members that show rain. Its more snow and ice or nothing than rain

• Like 1

One minor detail I noticed. I’m a sicko and like to compare “good” outcome runs “bad” outcome runs for snow. Today what I noticed is that the model runs that are better for us tend to have these two shortwaves phasing better. The farther apart these two the worst the outcome ends up being for our region fwiw. c4277adece0c4860f9f5cc85b4034268.jpg

49 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Why does everyone think I’d be unhappy with 3-4” of snow?  Maybe if it was a fringe and 20 miles away got 12”+ then ya that kinda sucks. But I was thrilled with that 3-4” storm I got in December!  

When I’m analyzing patterns my goals are big. I can’t control anything so why not look for signals for big storms?  But that doesn’t mean I’m unhappy if we get a regular snow. And it’s not like we’re getting those anyways. It’s not been snowing at all lately. 

My issue with progressive waves isn’t that they aren’t a HECS. It’s that they typically have a narrow zone of snow and the patterns that produce them are rarely going to lead to a snowy season. Rooting to get lucky with those is basically setting our high bar for the season at below average for the region as a whole. Ya maybe someone gets lucky to hit a couple and beat climo but as a whole we don’t get snowy seasons that way. 

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

My consolation prize is already set.  Regardless of the fail, I win.  Know why?  Taco Tuesday.  And get this...I'm making them with NACHO CHEESE shells.  Yup. Mmmhmm. How 'bout that W?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

part of me wants this to fail to see the ultimate winter will never happen again post for you and a total meltdown of the ages

Not gonna happen. For the last 7 years every failure has been couched by “but Nina” by the crowd that doesn’t want to acknowledge the “elephant”. Meanwhile we’ve had a Nino and 2 neutral winters in there and they made convenient excuses to dismiss that fact.  I’ve made my case that while the persistent Nina base state is part of this, I’ve never denied that, but more is going on contributing here. 

If we have a total fail during a second Nino, one that did couple and produced the pattern we wanted…at that point I don’t have to say anything. “Scoreboard” should be plenty enough. Anyone still in denial isn’t going to be swayed by some novel I write on here so what’s the point? 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

Just now, Heisy said:

18z gfs Gfs vs euro around day 5, a lot to iron out

aef4277559fd4b3e911993b276d2d8ba.gif

does euro still have that hold delay issue it had 20 years ago lol where it would hold the s/w in desert too long?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic