• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - Winter 23/24 Edition

eyewall

The level of posting has consistently declined over the years here. Back in the old days, and the old forum, it seemed like we had scores of Mets posting and highly-capable amateur enthusiasts who provided substantive assessment.

Unfortunately, now, as in society, we only hear from radicals at both ends of the spectrum — gloomists or weenies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, StantonParkHoya said:

The level of posting has consistently declined over the years here. Back in the old days, and the old forum, it seemed like we had scores of Mets posting and highly-capable amateur enthusiasts who provided substantive assessment.

Unfortunately, now, as in society, we only hear from radicals at both ends of the spectrum — gloomists or weenies.

I think the posting will improve when something tangible exists to track. It’s the same crap over on southernwx just a lot are hyping this pattern but beyond that all you need is Georgia’s posts to know what’s coming from a pattern perspective. There aren’t many on any page who are that good at deciphering what teleconnections and analogs could mean for sensible weather, but there are a ton who can reasonably interpret model data and twitter posts from Mets enough to speak intelligently on here. If something pops up I expect that to happen. And no, I’m not hyping this pattern until I see ensemble support bc I believe teleconnections and analogs are useful, but for snow we need to actually see it eventually and hone in on a storm. The PD storm screams MA. We do not have a foundational high established beforehand and temps crashing east of mountains with enough precipitation remaining for accumulation after a system passes is a pipe dream 99.9% of the time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

I'm going to give it 3 more weeks before I'm totally done

Once College Baseball starts (which is next weekend) I start to wish for spring weather. 

However, giving the past now three years, I will go to the first week in March before its time to move on. At least, down here in my area. 

• Like 1

I can’t wait to do a post mortem on why this winter failed. I think at this point, unless a freak 6” + event occurs, this whole winter will go down as a major failure given the expectations, analogs, and forecasts. Almost no cold stretches and zero threats to track during a strong nino is tough to stomach. A 1” snow or a ice event will not remove the stench from this season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

I'm going to give it 3 more weeks before I'm totally done

My rule of thumb has always been that when March Madness tips off mid-month with conference tournaments, it’s over. The fat lady will have sung her song. Honestly excited for spring - this has been a wet and miserable winter with a lot of sickness and won’t be mad if we’re torching in 3 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After all of the back and forth between hype over models vs despair when they change the other way.   I just want this winter to end for better or worse.   Next up early spring and anxiety over killing late frosts.

• Sad 1

Not only is this our second snowless winter, it’s also looking like the second winter where the roads were never once brined. Keep in mind they’ll brine the roads here if 1 hour of freezing rain is expected, if that puts this into perspective how bad it’s been 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Not only is this our second snowless winter, it’s also looking like the second winter where the roads were never once brined. Keep in mind they’ll brine the roads here if 1 hour of freezing rain is expected, if that puts this into perspective how bad it’s been 

Same here. It's just as bad. I thought the early 90s were bad 89-93 before the blizzard hit but no this takes the cake. Early 90s I considered a dusting or watching it snow for a few hours but not stick was awful and we got several coatings and dustings then and at least a few ice storms in those years but boy was I wrong. I would give a lot just to see something frozen or just see it snow for a few minutes. It's that bad and I am at a loss of words. I don't see anything changing going forward. 

I’m calling it a wrap for me. Another snowless winter for my backyard. Lucky I went to Banner Elk during the “cold snap”. 

What happened to the “Fab Feb” pattern we were all promised? Another case of cool and chilly weather but no cold and no snow

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

At least it saves the taxpayers some money. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:27 PM, StantonParkHoya said:

Unfortunately, now, as in society, we only hear from those at both ends of the spectrum — gloomists or weenies. Mets and highly-capable amateur enthusiasts who provided substantive assessments that did not predict snow were told by these Johnny come lately's that they were morons and didn't know what they were talking about. One by one they stated that they would defer to these "experts", wished us well, and left the scene. Oh, BTW, these JCL's are still on the scene making their presence known. On the whole, the board appears to have adopted their philosophies in that rather than look at the models on the whole and knowing what recent climatology has become, they strain at a gnat to try to get the outcome they want when it comes to snow.

In addition, the weather model experts have "improved" their statistically based products by refining them to look further in the future. They do this in an exercise to prove their theories in understanding weather prediction. It's like DNA in that the older you get, the more your DNA breaks down leading to aging and disease. In the case of weather, I believe that more and more assumptions and micro climate permutations accumulate that affect the computers' long term prognosis that the weather enthusiast patient is presented with a fatal diagnosis. At the same time, by focusing on the long term they break the short term accuracy of the models. The main fault of the models probably comes from them being based on long term statistical analysis of past weather events that with the recent changes in climate are no longer valid. How do they fix it? Beyond my pay grade to figure out. Who was it...JB... who always said "Enjoy the weather cause it's the only weather you've got. "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1