Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - Winter 23/24 Edition

eyewall

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I do miss the days before we knew we had no chance a month out. Always was fun watching TWC classic local forecasts waiting to see snowflakes on the weekly graphic 

The 7 Day Business Planner on TWC was the longest range you could see back in the 80's.  Catching that after school each day was a priority.  I remember watching the trends from rain/snow to mix to snow.  You knew it was on then.  Of course, sometimes even then, it went the other way too.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I feel like we now have Columbia’s climo here in central NC. 

You could go a step further really. According to Brad P, Charlotte’s recent climatology is now averaging closer to Birmingham’s climate historically speaking. 

28 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

You could go a step further really. According to Brad P, Charlotte’s recent climatology is now averaging closer to Birmingham’s climate historically speaking. 

Right. I don’t even think we’re in a rut, I think it’s just how it is in today’s climate. Last 5 years we’re averaging a hair over 1” of snow per season and I’ve seen my street covered once since December 2018. Teleconnections and analogs don’t mean anything anymore. We’re setting new precedents of failure every year. I know we haven’t seen the last good snowstorm in this area, but expecting a decent event every year used to be the norm. Now we’re more like hoping for our streets to be covered once every 5 years and a warning level snow every 10

• Like 2

I get stuck on Raleigh’s climo a lot, but look towards the foothills, the triad, the roxboro snow globe. Even in our (triangle) fail years, those areas seemed to always make out ok. Looking at individual climate sites for snow can be a bit misleading as our snow storms frequently have giant variations across the state, but seeing all these areas blanked and struggling this much is humbling 

16 hours ago, Ernest T Bass said:

The 7 Day Business Planner on TWC was the longest range you could see back in the 80's.  Catching that after school each day was a priority.  I remember watching the trends from rain/snow to mix to snow.  You knew it was on then.  Of course, sometimes even then, it went the other way too.

Here's one from 1991. I remember the screen before this, where it was a blue screen with white text, I think that's what you're talking about. When they updated to this style, with the animations of rain and all, I was blown away, and it's the style I remember the most:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marsman said:

Here's one from 1991. I remember the screen before this, where it was a blue screen with white text, I think that's what you're talking about. When they updated to this style, with the animations of rain and all, I was blown away, and it's the style I remember the most:

Ughhhhh take me back 

1 hour ago, marsman said:

Yeah I remember that, but not the one I really meant.  The one I was thinking of was just a US Map with color blobs for the precip types.  They would scroll through the days.  It was like a pre-cursor to model watching.  

• Like 1

Hello SE forum peeps. I recently moved from NOVA and now live in Durham. Not too frequent a poster, I think my most liked posts were when I told CLKGriswald that nobody gives a shit what happens in Winchester and when I trolled DCTeacherman for preferring events with a front end thump to a dry slot. I was in the MA for 10 years or so and saw a couple decent storms, but it hasn't really happened there since 2018 and before that it was 2016. Yes, the snow drought is concerning climo wise and frustrating to say the least but I have a good feeling about the upcoming 4-5 weeks. Don't wanna come in talking shit, but gd north hills and Union county wx need to get a hold of themselves or get some real addictions. It is Feb 6th! Storms pop up here in a couple of days sometimes and this pattern gives us the best shot we have had in years. Nice to meet everyone!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

I like how the main thread is very soon about to be saying the pattern in march is gonna be what was supposed to happen in 9-10 days...then push back to April...then May

Gotta hang in there. Only a few more weeks before we’re hearing about how awesome it is that we’re pushing that hot summer heat back! 

2 hours ago, digital snow said:

Hello SE forum peeps. I recently moved from NOVA and now live in Durham. Not too frequent a poster, I think my most liked posts were when I told CLKGriswald that nobody gives a shit what happens in Winchester and when I trolled DCTeacherman for preferring events with a front end thump to a dry slot. I was in the MA for 10 years or so and saw a couple decent storms, but it hasn't really happened there since 2018 and before that it was 2016. Yes, the snow drought is concerning climo wise and frustrating to say the least but I have a good feeling about the upcoming 4-5 weeks. Don't wanna come in talking shit, but gd north hills and Union county wx need to get a hold of themselves or get some real addictions. It is Feb 6th! Storms pop up here in a couple of days sometimes and this pattern gives us the best shot we have had in years. Nice to meet everyone!

First, welcome. 

second, you gon’ learn. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, weatherfide said:

I think I'm coming back to Americanwx for awhile. Southernwx is getting weird, all high on hopium and not really grasping reality.

The platform objectively sucks. I think the discussion is likely better since some of the greats of this forum moved over there but that user experience is like going from an iPhone 15 to a Motorola Razor 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Can the negativity get over the top here? Sure. But so can the wishcasting for snow and cold. When many places haven't seen snow in over 2 years its tough to stay positive. 

I wont believe it’s going to snow again until I look out my window and my grass is covered