• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

Major snowfall 2/18 E NC to the coast on 12Z Euro!

Edit: There’s also followup light precip breaking out deep S on 2/19 within a strong wedge associated with a second weak GOM low.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Major snowfall 2/18 E NC to the coast on 12Z Euro!

Edit: There’s also followup light precip breaking out deep S on 2/19 within a strong wedge associated with a second weak GOM low.

That sort of evolution has worked on many times before. Christmas 2009 or was it 2010? Comes to mind. Two separate waves delivering the goods to different areas. 

• Like 1

Just need that to amplify sooner and that's a proper region wide slider. You can see how when it finally strengthens off the coast it pulls cold air into the system. Timing moved a bit towards the GFS, still think a slower southern wave is better for us but I'm sure it's gonna bounce around a bit for now.

• Like 2

If that dang pacific trough would back off and quit nudging into the west coast we'd be in business big time and not have so many sticking points in the forecast that could go wrong. Seems a proper PNA ridge continues to just be impossible to come by like it has been for years now. Lack of snow has not been surprising given that fact. To me it's the most important factor because it encourages the northern stream to dig hard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Dare I say that happy hour might be interesting?

Done went ahead and jinxed the whole run lol. (may bite my words after 204, but ain't looking good until that point)

216 heavy snow in the NC northern mountains, maybe some foothills. I40 North/west of Greensboro essentially.

5 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

It would be a nice event for the foothills and NW Piedmont of NC.

sn33.jpg.866b9dbd765b2cff8b3c732f3968690f.jpg

Maybe it's progged differently between the run hours, but that snow outside of the mountains/foothills is falling into 35-38 degree weather if not really close to 40. with 60's the day before. Taken verbatim with the modeling, I honestly don't really buy it showing those high of totals of snow falling outside the mountains based on the surface maps. But it is something to keep an eye on. (looking at TT for maps)

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

Maybe it's progged differently between the run hours, but that snow outside of the mountains/foothills is falling into 35-38 degree weather if not really close to 40.

WB maps are showing surface temperatures near freezing during the heaviest precipitation. 

sn34.jpg.9eb22b173f226d9fc848d99cd3393845.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

WB maps are showing surface temperatures near freezing during the heaviest precipitation. 

sn34.jpg.9eb22b173f226d9fc848d99cd3393845.jpg

Actually that goes right along with what I said earlier, as TT won't show the 21z frame and looked slight warmer before/after this frame, so that does help a lot for sure, thanks for posting that frame!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GaWx said:

Wintry precip way down in my area on 2/18 on 12Z GFS! These sharp changes from run to run show the level of uncertainty.

Not all of this is snow as some is other wintry:

IMG_9162.thumb.png.e6dc8efaf1f9f5ad4a3ddca3ee3f929b.png

Kind of reminds me  of the 73 bowling ball.  I've been reading about the year without a summer, and they were complaining about the warm winters, and how it used to get cold, etc. and it was warm right until about a year after Tambora blew...then suddenly heavy snows in May and off they went, lol.  Of course we don't have a historic volcano going off, but other things can make anomalous weather.  Of course they had a huge sun spot that looked like a spider on the sun, and people were watching it without fear because of all the dust...so watch out for spiders on the sun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I hardly ever hear the word verbatim used in normal everyday conversation. But we weather geeks sure do like to throw it around with impunity. :D

Let me offer a few alternatives for those wanting to change it up from time to time:

”If the model output were to come to fruition…”

”If the model output were to become reality…”

”Taken literally…”

”If the model output were to be unembellished…”

”If reality were undeviating from the model prediction…”

Or if you really want to win friends and influence people, you can go with:

”Taken punctiliously…”

Carry on and let it snow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I hardly ever hear the word verbatim used in normal everyday conversation. But we weather geeks sure do like to throw it around with impunity. :D

Let me offer a few alternatives for those wanting to change it up from time to time:

”If the model output were to come to fruition…”

”If the model output were to become reality…”

”Taken literally…”

”If the model output were to be unembellished…”

”If reality were undeviating from the model prediction…”

Or if you really want to win friends and influence people, you can go with:

”Taken punctiliously…”

Carry on and let it snow.

Spoken like a true calculus teacher 

• Haha 1