Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

8 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

Funny thing is Jan will still finish above average for most despite that.

I think that areas that are already 6F or more below normal from Jan 1-21 don't have a big chance to turn it into a positive for the month, because it would take something like a +12F for Jan 22-31 to undo it.

20 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

Funny thing is Jan will still finish above average for most despite that.

For our region, near avg in the southern (SW especially) Sub to well above for N sub is most likely. The Plains tho, they are so far below avg that the milder wx coming isn't even close to warm enough to reverse it that much.

21 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I thought the same thing lol

Why do I need to comment on typical "run of the mill" wintry weather? NWS says we finish the month 3-4F above normal, on the whole. The coldest low at Pittsburgh was 7F. It used to drop below zero almost every single winter. It was like 22 below 30 years ago.

• Weenie 1

Should I comment instead on the fact that last winter was one of the least snowy on record in many areas, and a lot of them are doing even WORSE this season to date with little hope of any snowfall for the foreseeable future?

Here's Akron/Canton area (KCAK), for an example:

Least snowy winters on record

image.png.952fcf8771144993d8fab79573d352a7.png

And the most recent climate summary showing a deficit of over 2 inches compared to last season's paltry total.

image.png.607a2a2ebf510bd8264c89f42c2cfb61.png

• Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Why do I need to comment on typical "run of the mill" wintry weather? NWS says we finish the month 3-4F above normal, on the whole. The coldest low at Pittsburgh was 7F. It used to drop below zero almost every single winter. It was like 22 below 30 years ago.

LMAO. First of all I didnt say it, I just agreed with @Brian D. But I see his point. You are the one who always pops in only to show an xmacis rundown of random cities not near you on how a completely random 5-day period from the 17th-21st of a month was the X-warmest on record or something. But suddenly its about what happened in Pittsburgh when they clearly missed the brunt of the cold snap that just hit.

But crickets when almost the entire middle third of the country just saw their top 1-3rd coldest January 14-20th on record. Oh, thats right. The coldest Jan 14-21 on record is "run of the mill". :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Ouch. Nearly 40 inches below normal for the season to date, and adding at a rate of an inch per day during this blowtorch. I guess I was wrong, and climate change isn't happening.

And there it is :lol::lol::lol:. So predictable :lol:. Discussion of any cold weather anomolies = saying climate change isnt happening. 

Oh, and showing a snow deficit in a snowbelt is a fascinating example of climate change. Im sure everyone in Erie wishes they could go way back to the pre-historic age of 2017-2018, when Erie set the seasonal record for snowfall of 166.3" and climate change wasnt happening.

54 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

:huh::huh::huh:

You arent the only one who can visit xmacis.

Pittsburgh winters WITHOUT a below-zero temperature, by decade.

2010s- 3
2000s- 5
1990s- 2
1980s- 2
1970s- 2
1960s- 0
1950s- 5
1940s- 4
1930s- 7
1920s- 6
1910s- 3
1900s- 4
1890s- 5
1880s- 4

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

:huh::huh::huh:

You arent the only one who can visit xmacis.

Pittsburgh winters WITHOUT a below-zero temperature, by decade.

2010s- 3
2000s- 5
1990s- 2
1980s- 2
1970s- 2
1960s- 0
1950s- 5
1940s- 4
1930s- 7
1920s- 6
1910s- 3
1900s- 4
1890s- 5
1880s- 4

There were 6 counterexamples in the FOUR decades from the 1960s-1990s - that is pretty much every single year, as I claimed. Older data is worthless for this comparison, since it was collected 400-500 feet lower in elevation on a rooftop in the middle of the city.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I mean things aren't so hunky-dory even in the upper Midwest this year. I know MSP missed out on last year's disaster, but 9th lowest total to date with a blowtorch moving in.

image.png.e45de87b111c074219fd2607f891eddd.png

Minneapolis is absolutely in a mega snow-hole this winter. 

But Minneapolis didnt "miss out on last year's disaster". Detroit "missed out on last year's disaster" with 37.1", only a bit below avg. Minneapolis had a downright fantastic winter, their 3rd snowiest on record and 7th most snowcover days. Minneapolis has not had a below avg snow season since 2016-17.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Minneapolis is absolutely in a mega snow-hole this winter. 

But Minneapolis didnt "miss out on last year's disaster". Detroit "missed out on last year's disaster" with 37.1", only a bit below avg. Minneapolis had a downright fantastic winter, their 3rd snowiest on record and 7th most snowcover days. Minneapolis has not had a below avg snow season since 2016-17.

And yet it was the third least ever at Toledo, just a short jog down I-75. The DTW numbers are inflated, and not representative of what many experienced in southeast Michigan last winter. You know I've been all over the place, and southeast Michigan is often in a snow hole with more snow to the east, west, north and south.

Regarding the TOL data, A LOT of very warm years too - look at that! 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Can they make it a FIVE-peat? Talk about a dynasty.

image.png.713f9f6efb95ff623bf9ab887cb248f1.png

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

There were 6 counterexamples in the FOUR decades from the 1960s-1990s - that is pretty much every single year, as I claimed. Older data is worthless for this comparison, since it was collected 400-500 feet lower in elevation on a rooftop in the middle of the city.

This isn’t the forum for this but lol seriously. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

And yet it was the third least ever at Toledo, just a short jog down I-75. The DTW numbers are inflated, and not representative of what many experienced in southeast Michigan last winter. You know I've been all over the place, and southeast Michigan is often in a snow hole with more snow to the east, west, north and south.

Regarding the TOL data, A LOT of very warm years too - look at that! 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Can they make it a FIVE-peat? Talk about a dynasty.

Dude, you went bat shit crazy MELTDOWN because it was pointed out, in jest, that you didnt barge into our subforum to post the stats of the record cold week most of the middle of the country saw Jan 14-20th (or as you refer to the coldest 3rd week of Jan on record, "run of the mill" winter weather). You get so hurt when someone points out ANY cold or snow stat and start crying they dont believe climate change is real. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

And how the HELL is DTW not representative of what residents of southeast Michigan experienced last winter? I dont believe for one second youve ever been here or "all over". If youve ever been, especially recently, youd notice what a huge difference there often is between Detroit and Toledo. SE MI is not in the snow belt, so obviously theres more snow in west MI. But more snow to the south? You MUST be joking. SE MI hasnt been in a snow-hole in years (1995-96 the last time I recall). We had multiple good storms last winter that Toledo & of course Pittburgh missed. Youre right though (for the wrong reason)...I guess DTWs snowfall isnt representative of what most in SE MI saw in 2022-23: Flint- 46.5"...Saginaw- 46.7"...Ann Arbor 51.6"...DTX NWS 44.7"...DTW 37.1".

Im thinking when DTW had blindingly heavy snow, 6.5", on Jan 25th you missed it since PIT was 45F with snow turning to rain. Maybe you also missed when DTW got 6.2", blizzard conditions, thunder & lightning Mar 3 (when the northern burbs got 10"+) since PIT was 45F and rain. Must have also missed Mar 3 when our beautiful 5.2" was a 42F-rain in PIT:rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Dude, you went bat shit crazy MELTDOWN because it was pointed out, in jest, that you didnt barge into our subforum to post the stats of the record cold week most of the middle of the country saw Jan 14-20th (or as you refer to the coldest 3rd week of Jan on record, "run of the mill" winter weather). You get so hurt when someone points out ANY cold or snow stat and start crying they dont believe climate change is real. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

And how the HELL is DTW not representative of what residents of southeast Michigan experienced last winter? I dont believe for one second youve ever been here or "all over". If youve ever been, especially recently, youd notice what a huge difference there often is between Detroit and Toledo. SE MI is not in the snow belt, so obviously theres more snow in west MI. But more snow to the south? You MUST be joking. SE MI hasnt been in a snow-hole in years (1995-96 the last time I recall). We had multiple good storms last winter that Toledo & of course Pittburgh missed. Youre right though (for the wrong reason)...I guess DTWs snowfall isnt representative of what most in SE MI saw in 2022-23: Flint- 46.5"...Saginaw- 46.7"...Ann Arbor 51.6"...DTX NWS 44.7"...DTW 37.1".

Im thinking when DTW had blindingly heavy snow, 6.5", on Jan 25th you missed it since PIT was 45F with snow turning to rain. Maybe you also missed when DTW got 6.2", blizzard conditions, thunder & lightning Mar 3 (when the northern burbs got 10"+) since PIT was 45F and rain. Must have also missed Mar 3 when our beautiful 5.2" was a 42F-rain in PIT:rolleyes:

Every single climate site in NWS CLE's CWA averages more snowfall that DTW, except for TOL (which itself is within the SE Michigan zone of influence - heck, it was supposed to be a part of Michigan originally) and more representative for places like Adrian, Lambertville and Monroe. And all of them except for ERI are outside of the main snowbelt. Even PIT's average of 44.1" is about the same at DTW, despite being nearly 2 degrees further south.

I don't know how you can deny the I-75 corridor / upwind lake plain region frequently misses out on a lot of big storms, that impact places further east and west.

42 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

To be honest, I'm not seeing it. Looks like the Detroit River area was 1-2 feet last winter on the NOHRSC national map.

image.png.fdde9c04a846817ae8150ed2856ff48c.png

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Every single climate site in NWS CLE's CWA averages more snowfall that DTW, except for TOL (which itself is within the SE Michigan zone of influence - heck, it was supposed to be a part of Michigan originally) and more representative for places like Adrian, Lambertville and Monroe. And all of them except for ERI are outside of the main snowbelt. Even PIT's average of 44.1" is about the same at DTW, despite being nearly 2 degrees further south.

I don't know how you can deny the I-75 corridor / upwind lake plain region frequently misses out on a lot of big storms, that impact places further east and west.

They average more strictly from Lake Erie influence. It isn't a snow hole just because its not in the snowbelt. There are actually places in the banana belt of the upper peninsula & northeast Lower peninsula of  michigan that average around or slightly less know than Detroit or Pittsburgh (but more snowcover). Detroit averages 7-8" more than Toledo, but it's more extreme in warm winters, with last year being a great example. It's like the old saying, sometimes you have to smell the rain to get the best snow. That was the case last winter. Some great storms and snowfall rates but not for cold and snow cover

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

They average more strictly from Lake Erie influence. It isn't a snow hole just because its not in the snowbelt. There are actually places in the banana belt of the upper peninsula & northeast Lower peninsula of  michigan that average around or slightly less know than Detroit or Pittsburgh (but more snowcover). Detroit averages 7-8" more than Toledo, but it's more extreme in warm winters, with last year being a great example. It's like the old saying, sometimes you have to smell the rain to get the best snow. That was the case last winter. Some great storms and snowfall rates but not for cold and snow cover

You have to admit Detroit somewhat underperforms given its latitude. Your big storm climatology [since 1904, as that's the first year of any snowfall records at CRW] is worse than Charleston, West Virginia, which is in the south. And this is a low elevation site for a fair comparison, obviously the mountainous locations get way more.

Detroit, Top 1- and 2-day snowfalls (1904-present):

image.png.4c2599593a71724efd3713717cd616b1.png

image.png.b5e2249edad621e8a4f7052b5f7344c5.png

Charleston, Top 1- and 2-day snowfalls (1904-present):

image.png.ba805555b913f8afc5bf16afa560efd8.png

image.png.6b7aac76cf0095b2724094ae84830e0c.png

4 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

To be honest, I'm not seeing it. Looks like the Detroit River area was 1-2 feet last winter on the NOHRSC national map.

image.png.fdde9c04a846817ae8150ed2856ff48c.png

Lmao. You've got to be kidding me using that map. And actually that would be monroe county, the downriver area are 2-3 feet. That map shows Pittsburgh got like 6". Every official station in southeast michigan had 45-50" last winter except DTW 37". The fact that toledo had way less (several times we had heavy snow and they had heavy rain) means nothing. It's like saying that buffalo did not get 3 feet of snow since rochester only had 2 inches.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm not sure about this. The lowest is probably near Escanaba, but even they average at least 70. It goes WAY up as you go north from there.

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

I'm not sure about this. The lowest is probably near Escanaba, but even they average at least 70. It goes WAY up as you go north from there.

No way does Escanaba avg 70". I thought there was a map awhile ago from MQT. Ill have to try and find it. But obviously it goes way, WAY up north of there towards Superior. 

• Like 1