• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

Looks like we will warm up some again.MJO looks strong right now as it gets into the Maritime and WP,but we still should be under the influence of Nino,The SOI yesterday is showing more Nina 

13 Jan 2024 1012.32 1002.65 23.84 -1.58 -5.00
12 Jan 2024 1011.79 1004.40 13.10 -2.63 -5.40
11 Jan 2024 1011.80 1005.55 7.73 -2.92 -5.60
10 Jan 2024 1010.99 1006.05 1.56 -2.96 -5.74
9 Jan 2024 1011.83 1006.90 1.51 -3.07 -5.76
8 Jan 2024 1013.35 1008.45 1.37 -3.46 -5.81

What the ensembles are showing into next week East China and Korea will see height rises for a few days then a  trough will go through East Asia and just like earlier in the season the heights will fall again in those parts.It shouldnt be a brutal warm up least right now it seems in our parts

eps_z500a_wpac_fh120-252.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

That is awesome.  Didn’t u also have the fully black wooly worm?

lUPu8B1.png

82CwRLe.png

The elk scared the ______ out of me one cold morning. It was just before Christmas. At first I thought some idiot had bought one in for a joke, but apparently he decided to come down from the Frozen Head/ Cross Mt area and he just chills out off of Fairview road between Coalfield and Mossy Grove. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

lUPu8B1.png

82CwRLe.png

The elk scared the ______ out of me one cold morning. It was just before Christmas. At first I thought some idiot had bought one in for a joke, but apparently he decided to come down from the Frozen Head/ Cross Mt area and he just chills out off of Fairview road between Coalfield and Mossy Grove. 

Advanced teleconnections.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Years ago there was an elk who was in the road by my house every day. TWRA came and put up a trap the size of a 5 horse trailer for it. They finally caught it and drove it all of three miles away and released it. The next day it was back. Now they only remove ones that are around the 4 lane in town that don't move on.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The GFS was a nice 1-3 with some 4+ areas for the Thursday/Friday event. The air behind it may be as cold or even colder than this. 

The heart of winter here is January 15th to February 15th. It's the coldest and snowiest time of winter here. You can hardly beat having a favorable pattern in this window. It looks like we might have one for a good part of that window. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The GFS was a nice 1-3 with some 4+ areas for the Thursday/Friday event. The air behind it may be as cold or even colder than this. 

The heart of winter here is January 15th to February 15th. It's the coldest and snowiest time of winter here. You can hardly beat having a favorable pattern in this window. It looks like we might have one for a good part of that window. 

Though it’s supposed to be quite warm after this week correct?  From the 21st till beginning of Feb.?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

Though it’s supposed to be quite warm after this week correct?  From the 21st till beginning of Feb.?

There's going to be a warm up for 5-6  days, but the MJO should be headed towards the favorable phases around the 28th and there looks to be a PNA ridge inbound. It should set the stage for favorable weather in the first half of February. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, weathertree4u2 said:

Hearing that the end of week system could add to the snowpack. Thoughts?

Yes, but still a lot to be ironed out.  Then a MONSTER warm-up the next week(day 8-14) 5-10 days worth, and then a colder Feb than maybe we have been used to....maybe.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yes, but still a lot to be ironed out.  Then a MONSTER warm-up the next week(day 8-14) 5-10 days worth, and then a colder Feb than maybe we have been used to....maybe.

Will be needing a break by then. Even the winters we look back on as great were not continuously cold and snowy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

After this week it will be welcomed.  This is killing business in the construction. Plus it’s killing my sales temporarily.  

• Like 1

Colder than normal February is a beautiful thing to me. Most of my snows across my life at my location have been in February.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:
3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Colder than normal February is a beautiful thing to me. Most of my snows across my life at my location have been in February.

There is some can kicking of the cold...I just haven't posted in a bit.  It is more like weeks 2-4 of Feb as the MJO is gonna get toasty after the 22nd.  We were gonna have to pay that toll at some point.  It is possible that we may have a cold shot around the 30th, warm-up, and then hit the cold skids during the second week of Feb.  I do urge a bit of caution to new posters (not you, Shawn).  Originally, Jan 10-20th looked very warm.  That can got kicked about ten days.  So, any kind of strong cutter or storm is gonna bring down a lot of cold air, even during what looks like a warm-up timeframe.  The first week or two of March could be cold but the jury is still out.  This winter reminds me a lot of 95-96 which had a big storm, a warm-up, and then got cold again.  I am maybe a little less confident that Feb is gonna be cold than I was a few weeks ago, but still reasonably confident.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic