Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Don a small point, was the high at DCA 80 or 81?  I saw a tweet that said it was 81? And did Dulles get any higher than 79?

The final high was 80. The tweet was based on the value of 80.6. Sometimes, such values are off by a degree or so.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The final high was 80. The tweet was based on the value of 80.6. Sometimes, such values are off by a degree or so.

It makes me wonder sometimes if actual weather records are kept to a degree or to the nearest tenth of a degree.  Most of our personal weather stations keep track of temperatures to the nearest tenth of a degree.

Here's where it can create issues--

If my weather station records a low of 32.4 should that count as a freezing day? The low was technically above freezing-- because freezing is exactly 32.0

How does the NWS handle such issues? Do they round the temperature down to 32 or is a low of 32.4 considered a day on which it did not reach freezing?  Likewise does a day with a high of 89.5 get called a 90 degree day or not?  I always assumed that 32.4 is rounded down to 32 and 89.5 is rounded up to 90?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, tmagan said:

DCA in their reports had a heat index listed because the air temperature hit 81 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat index was the same as the air temperature though because of the 'relatively' low dew point temperatures.

I remember we had a heat index of 100 here when it hit 96 on October 2nd (I think it was in 2018?) and that was on the south shore of Long Island lol

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It makes me wonder sometimes if actual weather records are kept to a degree or to the nearest tenth of a degree.  Most of our personal weather stations keep track of temperatures to the nearest tenth of a degree.

If my weather station records a low of 32.4 should that count as a freezing day? The low was technically above freezing-- because freezing is exactly 32.0

How does the NWS handle such issues? Do they round the temperature down to 32 or is a low of 32.4 considered a day on which it did not reach freezing?  Likewise does a day with a high of 89.5 get called a 90 degree day or not?  I always assumed that 32.4 is rounded down to 32 and 89.5 is rounded up to 90?

I prefer Celsius for that reason. Records are kept by tenths of degrees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

I prefer Celsius for that reason. Records are kept by tenths of degrees.

Thanks Don, so does the NWS actually keep temperature records in 0.1C increments and the conversion to F is what results in the rounding errors? My weather station does the same thing, I noticed it's actually measuring in 0.1C increments and the F is a conversion and not an actual exact measurement.

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah it's a big pet peeve of mine.  We have the technology now to be more precise using F.  Of course, C is more accurate but good luck moving our country over to metric.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks Don, so does the NWS actually keep temperature records in 0.1C increments and the conversion to F is what results in the rounding errors? My weather station does the same thing, I noticed it's actually measuring in 0.1C increments and the F is a conversion and not an actual exact measurement.

Not that I am aware of. I have seen some physical records and they are all in Fahrenheit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, uofmiami said:

Yeah it's a big pet peeve of mine.  We have the technology now to be more precise using F.  Of course, C is more accurate but good luck moving our country over to metric.

Yeah we always lose something in the conversion lol.  I can tell our weather stations measure in 0.1C increments and convert to F so the precision isn't 0.1F but it could be if the manufacturers wanted it to be.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, uofmiami said:

as somebody that uses both scales for work, I don’t think centigrade is more precise than Fahrenheit at all. Quite the opposite if you actually utilize decimal places with Fahrenheit.

Not that I’m advocating for the United States system. But most weather forecasts throughout the world are done using Celsius without a decimal point, and it’s a lot less precise than anything we have in the United States, because each degree covers a much larger interval

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

Not that I am aware of. I have seen some physical records and they are all in Fahrenheit.

ah okay so if the low was 32.4F on NWS instrumentation at, say NYC, that wouldn't be considered a low of freezing for that day? and likewise if the high was 89.5 that would be considered a 90 degree high on that day, Don?

14 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

as somebody that uses both scales for work, I don’t think centigrade is more precise than Fahrenheit at all. Quite the opposite if you actually utilize decimal places with Fahrenheit.

Not that I’m advocating for the United States system. But most weather forecasts throughout the world are done using Celsius without a decimal point, and it’s a lot less precise than anything we have in the United States, because each degree covers a much larger interval

Yep, I see that on my weather station too, because when the temperature goes up or down there are "jumps" that correspond to 0.2F (but it's actually 0.1C measurements that are being converted to F).... once in awhile there is a change of only 0.1F but it only happens at certain numbers....and these just happen to be going from a change of 0.2C to 0.3C over the previous whole integer conversion from C to F.

That doesn't sound so clear lol so let me illustrate.

By whole integer conversion I mean when a whole integer C reading converts to a whole integer F reading.

Let's take 0C = 32F as our example.

so a change of 0.1C = a change of 0.18F or 32.2F when rounded to the nearest tenth

a change of 0.2C = a change of 0.36F or 32.4F

a change of 0.3C = a change of 0.54F or 32.5F

a change of 0.4C = a change of 0.72F or 32.7F

a change of 0.5C = a change of 0.90F or 32.9C

you get my point lol

Now notice the change of going from 0.2C to 0.3C

If you round the F to the nearest tenth 0.36F rounds to 0.4F and the 0.54F rounds to 0.5F

So in this case the next highest increment going up from 32.0F is 32.2F (because it's really increasing from 0.0C to 0.1C and that's an increase of 0.18F so in F this gets rounded to a 0.2F increase or 32.2F).... the ONLY time we see a 0.1F increase is going from 0.2C to 0.3C in that range because the actual value of the conversion is going from 32.36F to 32.54F, so the weather station will show it going from 32.4F to 32.5F.  This formula works for every conversion I have seen on my weather station, the only time I see a 0.1F increment being used is when the conversion calls for it (a change of 0.2C to 0.3C from a whole integer conversion value of C).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

That's what I wondered about when London hit that historic triple digit temperature over the summer, what was the exact value in F lol

• Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

It’s not more precise, but the weather records are maintained in tenths of degrees. That virtually every other country uses it is also a benefit. 

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

110 in the summer can never happen here, we have a maritime climate here in the summer lol

We can handle the occasional 100-102 okay I think, I've never had a power outage during a heatwave.

It almost happened in 2010 and 2011. But those years had droughts  in the East. We have been very wet since then. So probably not possible without a drought. Remember, October 2019 had a flash drought which boosted our area to mid 90s. We have a much higher population and electric demand than areas of the US that typically experience 110°+. So they might start rolling blackouts to preserve the grid until demand drops off enough. 

Data for January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2011
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 108
NY MINEOLA COOP 108
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 107
NJ HARRISON COOP 107
NY WANTAGH CEDAR CREEK COOP 107
NJ RINGWOOD COOP 106
NY MOLLOY CERCOM COOP 105

Data for October 1, 2019 through October 31, 2019
State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 96
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 95
NJ HARRISON COOP 95
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 95
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 95
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It almost happened in 2010 and 2011. But those years had droughts  in the East. We have been very wet since then. So probably not possible without a drought. Remember, October 2019 had a flash drought which boosted our area to mid 90s. We have a much higher population and electric demand than areas of the US that typically experience 110°+. So they might start rolling blackouts to preserve the grid until demand drops off enough. 

State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NY MINEOLA COOP 108
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 107
NJ HARRISON COOP 107
NJ RINGWOOD COOP 106

State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ HARRISON COOP 95

It's interesting about 2011 though, wasn't that one of our wettest years on record? Did most of that rainfall happen after we already had the big heat? That 108 degrees at Mineola is absolutely wild-- was that the highest temperature ever recorded anywhere on Long Island, Chris?

So I could envision 105+ heat happening in this way

Winter is usually wet so that would be hard to bypass.

But let's say we have a dry spring which we've had the last couple of years.  So warm and dry beginning in April and lasting through at least July.  We missed it by one month last year because we had a warm and dry April-June (and the temperatures would have been higher in June were it not for all the wildfire smoke; we did hit 90+ on back to back days in April.)  We started getting wet again in July, but if that could have just been pushed back one month to August and we didn't have the wet July, I think we could have had a chance at 105+ in July.

• Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, bluewave said:

State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NY MINEOLA COOP 108
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 107
NJ HARRISON COOP 107
NJ RINGWOOD COOP 106

State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ HARRISON COOP 95

This was absolutely wild in October 2019, I think we had a heat index of 100 on this day too? Was this the latest we have ever hit 95 and also our latest heat index of 100 too?

I see NYC isn't listed here, was Central Park again being influenced by the foliage, Chris?

• Weenie 1

41 cloudy , fog, with some breaks. Next up rain later tonight / tomorrow 0.50 - 1.00 for most.   Exiting storm pulls trough down into the Northeast so colder 1/30 into the first week of Feb. Dry out a bit Tue - Thu with some sun.  Interesting pattern which looks to turn busy with potential cut off lows into the end of next week.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 69 (1974)
NYC: 69 (1916)
LGA: 66 (1974)

Lows:

EWR: -2 (1994)
NYC: -1 (1927)
LGA: 0 (1994)

Historical:

1772 - The "Washington and Jefferson Snowstorm" occurred. George Washington reported three feet of snow at Mount Vernon, and Thomas Jefferson recorded about three feet at Monticello. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1922: On this date through the 29th, a significant snowstorm struck the East Coast from South Carolina to southeastern Massachusetts. Washington, DC, reported 28 inches of snow. The heavy snow on the Knickerbocker Theater's flat roof put a significant strain on the structure. On the evening of the 28th,  during a showing of the silent comedy "Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford," the building collapsed, killing 98 people and injuring 130 others. 

1966 - Oswego, NY, was in the midst of a five day lake effect storm which left the town buried under 102 inches of snow. (David Ludlum)

1967 - Residents of Chicago, IL, began to dig out from a storm which produced 23 inches of snow in 29 hours. The snow paralyzed the city and suburbs for days, and business losses were enormous. (David Ludlum)

1987 - A powerful storm moving into the western U.S. produced 13 inches of snow at Daggett Pass NV, and 16 inches in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. Winds gusted to 63 mph at Reno NV, and wind gusts in Oregon exceeded 80 mph. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - The nation got a breather from winter storms, however, cold arctic air settled into the southeastern U.S. Hollywood FL reported a record low reading of 39 degrees. (National Weather Summary)

1989 - The last half of January was bitterly cold over most of Alaska. Nearly thirty stations established all-time record low temperatures. On this date Tanana reported a low of -76 degrees. Daily highs of -66 degrees were reported at Chandalar Lake on the 22nd, and at Ambler on the 26th. (The Weather Channel)

1989 - Low pressure in north central Alaska continued to direct air across northern Siberia and the edges of the Arctic Circle into the state. The temperature at Fairbanks remained colder than 40 degrees below zero for the eighth day in a row. Lows of 68 below at Galena, 74 below at McGrath, and 76 below at Tanana, were new records for the date. Wind chill readings were colder than 100 degrees below zero. (National Weather Summary)

1989: Bitter cold air gripped most of Alaska during January 1989. Tanana, near Fairbanks, saw a low temperature of 76 degrees below zero on this day. The high for the day was 60 degrees below zero. With an average temperature of 68 degrees below zero, Tanana saw an average temperature of nearly sixty degrees below normal. McGrath, Alaska, recorded a wind chill of -100°F. This is the lowest wind chill ever observed in the U.S. at a populated location. 

1990 - Another in a series of cold fronts brought high winds to the northwestern U.S., and more heavy snow to some of the higher elevations. The series of vigorous cold fronts crossing the area between the 23rd and the 27th of the month produced up to 60 inches of snow in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2005 - Month-to-date snowfall at Boston Logan International Airport totaled 43.1 inches, making January the snowiest month on record.

knickerbockerpage.jfif_.jpg?w=1024

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

Lows:

Historical:

1772 - The "Washington and Jefferson Snowstorm" occurred. George Washington reported three feet of snow at Mount Vernon, and Thomas Jefferson recorded about three feet at Monticello. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1922: On this date through the 29th, a significant snowstorm struck the East Coast from South Carolina to southeastern Massachusetts. Washington, DC, reported 28 inches of snow. The heavy snow on the Knickerbocker Theater's flat roof put a significant strain on the structure. On the evening of the 28th,  during a showing of the silent comedy "Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford," the building collapsed, killing 98 people and injuring 130 others. 

1966 - Oswego, NY, was in the midst of a five day lake effect storm which left the town buried under 102 inches of snow. (David Ludlum)

1967 - Residents of Chicago, IL, began to dig out from a storm which produced 23 inches of snow in 29 hours. The snow paralyzed the city and suburbs for days, and business losses were enormous. (David Ludlum)

1987 - A powerful storm moving into the western U.S. produced 13 inches of snow at Daggett Pass NV, and 16 inches in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. Winds gusted to 63 mph at Reno NV, and wind gusts in Oregon exceeded 80 mph. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - The nation got a breather from winter storms, however, cold arctic air settled into the southeastern U.S. Hollywood FL reported a record low reading of 39 degrees. (National Weather Summary)

1989 - The last half of January was bitterly cold over most of Alaska. Nearly thirty stations established all-time record low temperatures. On this date Tanana reported a low of -76 degrees. Daily highs of -66 degrees were reported at Chandalar Lake on the 22nd, and at Ambler on the 26th. (The Weather Channel)

1989 - Low pressure in north central Alaska continued to direct air across northern Siberia and the edges of the Arctic Circle into the state. The temperature at Fairbanks remained colder than 40 degrees below zero for the eighth day in a row. Lows of 68 below at Galena, 74 below at McGrath, and 76 below at Tanana, were new records for the date. Wind chill readings were colder than 100 degrees below zero. (National Weather Summary)

1989: Bitter cold air gripped most of Alaska during January 1989. Tanana, near Fairbanks, saw a low temperature of 76 degrees below zero on this day. The high for the day was 60 degrees below zero. With an average temperature of 68 degrees below zero, Tanana saw an average temperature of nearly sixty degrees below normal. McGrath, Alaska, recorded a wind chill of -100°F. This is the lowest wind chill ever observed in the U.S. at a populated location. 

1990 - Another in a series of cold fronts brought high winds to the northwestern U.S., and more heavy snow to some of the higher elevations. The series of vigorous cold fronts crossing the area between the 23rd and the 27th of the month produced up to 60 inches of snow in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2005 - Month-to-date snowfall at Boston Logan International Airport totaled 43.1 inches, making January the snowiest month on record.

so this was another storm that didn't drop anything here because it was suppressed:

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

Lows:

Historical:

so this was the second arctic outbreak in January 1994 that dropped NYC to 0F degrees...... and the temp rose all throughout the day until reaching 32F (or 0C) at midnight and then a raging southeaster the next day with 55 mph winds and temps in the mid 50s lol

37 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

so this was the second arctic outbreak in January 1994 that dropped NYC to 0F degrees...... and the temp rose all throughout the day until reaching 32F (or 0C) at midnight and then a raging southeaster the next day with 55 mph winds and temps in the mid 50s lol

Yes between the 15 - 21st  and then 26 - 27.

• Thanks 1