Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I think we were mainly discussing a 1 week window for a while now this month with the lagged phase 3 response. But it’s challenging  to put together more than a 1-3 or 2-4 event for NYC with such a short window. Especially with so many adjacent warm MJO phases.   What I loved about 16-17 is that we were able to put together blizzards in a sea of 60° days with only briefly favorable patterns. 

well the speculation was we would keep getting high precip events like we did when the pattern was warmer.... what stopped the high precip events?

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

In this case, probably not. The differences were sufficiently small that they could be within the variation one would see with the QPF. Moreover, Central Park reported an observation after 7 am with an increase in snowfall suggesting that a measurement was made when the snow stopped falling.

It looks like the rest of the precip at Central Park was freezing rain? 0.1 inch ZR reported there.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I think we were mainly discussing a 1 week window for a while now this month with the lagged phase 3 response. But it’s challenging  to put together more than a 1-3 or 2-4 event for NYC with such a short window. Especially with so many adjacent warm MJO phases.   What I loved about 16-17 is that we were able to put together blizzards in a sea of 60° days with only briefly favorable patterns. 

Most of our strong Nino snowfalls are inside a short favorable window. The blizzard of 2016 was sandwiched between warmth 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It looks like the rest of the precip at Central Park was freezing rain? 0.1 inch ZR reported there.

Central Park had 0.16" of freezing rain. The highest freezing rain amounts in the New York NWS area were:

East Hills, NY: 0.27"
New Haven: 0.25"
Bridgeport: 0.23"
Harrison, NJ: 0.20"
Darien: 0.18"
1 N Meriden Airport, CT: 0.18"
New York City (Central Park): 0.16"
1 W Plainview, NY: 0.13"

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Hopefully we’re not entering a multi week period of zero threats. It’s obviously going to get warm next week but Canada does look to stay cold. 

Which is very comforting from about my area points north, but I know it usually takes  more than that there. Hopefully we can catch a few breaks.....or one big one. lol

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

When Washington crossed the Delaware there were ice jams. Can only imagine how they survived those winters.

They were much tougher; but a good many of them froze to death after eating their own shoe leather due to lack of food. 

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Most of our strong Nino snowfalls are inside a short favorable window. The blizzard of 2016 was sandwiched between warmth 

The favorable 500 mb pattern for the 1-23-16 blizzard actually began around the 7th several weeks before the blizzard. Notice the great extended blocking pattern with the -AO peaking near -5. So the 50/50 low was well established. The final pieces came together just after the 20th when the Pacific relaxed enough for the record blizzard. 

C6CCC2EA-9306-49B3-BADE-1A811D455864.gif.cfddcbc68255fa09f5956e46669c6d69.gif
2FE6BB2B-ED35-4652-AD3A-066022CBA7E8.gif.f5cbdf2ad469c4d5c915d261bcd81ece.gif

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GEPS is the same general theme and the GEFS is more of a gradient pattern.

1706745600-1MrLDUgx52o.png1706745600-XsHBkXqxFHM.png

The gradient patterns haven’t worked out because the ridge off the east coast gets stronger as we get closer. Very skeptical that look works down here 

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

The gradient patterns haven’t worked out because the ridge off the east coast gets stronger as we get closer. Very skeptical that look works down here 

Okay, so....

1) You are assuming the GEFS is correct over the EPS and GEPS in slowing the MJO, which has not worked all year...

2) And you are assuming that the eastern heights will verify higher than forecasted by even the GEFS.

Got it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I’m not sure if they count freezing rain as any precip that fell at 32 or below or they measure the glaze on a surface. I’d say here there was at least 0.1” considering the glaze on surfaces. Trees have a nice glaze on them for sure. Not close to a warning amount but it got quite icy. Thankfully a lot fell when it was 30-31 so the pavements didn’t get bad. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The favorable 500 mb pattern for the 1-23-16 blizzard actually began around the 7th several weeks before the blizzard. Notice the great extended blocking pattern with the -AO peaking near -5. So the 50/50 low was well established. The final pieces came together just after the 20th when the Pacific relaxed enough for the record blizzard. 

plus we had a few nice snowfalls that winter after the blizzard.... you showed one of the PNS reports that year of a foot of snow that fell on Long Island in February!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

February 1996 was the only month that was meh where I am that season. December, January, March and even April rocked.

Funnily enough  I enjoyed March and April the most, because it's so rare to get multiple snowfalls like that so late in the season down here. And the cold was always underplayed that season, just like it was in 1993-94.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park had 0.16" of freezing rain. The highest freezing rain amounts in the New York NWS area were:

East Hills, NY: 0.27"
New Haven: 0.25"
Bridgeport: 0.23"
Harrison, NJ: 0.20"
Darien: 0.18"
1 N Meriden Airport, CT: 0.18"
New York City (Central Park): 0.16"
1 W Plainview, NY: 0.13"

wow the hills on the north shore must have been treacherous with over a quarter of an inch of ice!  How much snow fell at East Hills, Don?

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Funnily enough  I enjoyed March and April the most, because it's so rare to get multiple snowfalls like that so late in the season down here. And the cold was always underplayed that season, just like it was in 1993-94.

I had like and 8.5" and a 14" storm like 3 days apart in early April...Sox game was snowed out.

Once in a lifetime season.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

plus we had a few nice snowfalls that winter after the blizzard.... you showed one of the PNS reports that year of a foot of snow that fell on Long Island in February!

One after that which was a frontal system and then winter ended. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Wheels of change were in motion this month during the first week. The pac relaxed and we are snowing…

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow the hills on the north shore must have been treacherous with over a quarter of an inch of ice!  How much snow fell at East Hills, Don?

There was definitely a nice glaze on trees here but I wouldn’t say we were near 0.25” which is warning criteria ice. I would say 0.1” or so actually accreted. When temps are just below freezing a good amount of the rain just runs off. When temps get down to 28-29 it becomes a lot more dangerous when there’s steady rain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1