• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

AM low 20.5 - Today will be our 5th straight below normal temp day. We should see a warmup to slightly above normal tomorrow with rain arriving tomorrow night. Colder again for the weekend before a big warm up next week.)
Chester County Wide Records for today: High 79.7 Warwick Twp. (2018) / Low 6 below Phoenixville (1934) / Precipitation 2.73" Kennett Square (1912) / Snow 12.3" Coatesville (1947)

image.png.3e5fab7453006eae60b76130158cc014.png

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

It never really started so no big deal/loss...basically 2 weeks of cold (if?) and a couple minor/mod events. The rest of winter felt like Fall.

Grade C-

42F

Yea pretty much snow wise better than last year, but we got lucky.   The results are pretty much the same just a slightly different way to get there.   Temps will wind up above normal again and below normal snowfall most areas except the snow capitol of the east Allentown. 

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

It never really started so no big deal/loss...basically 2 weeks of cold (if?) and a couple minor/mod events. The rest of winter felt like Fall.

Grade C-

42F

Far too generous. Did nothing Dec-holidays-mid January, and it's a top 5 warmest winter.

C+ Here only because of normal snow, crazy deathband, 2 high end SECS in a week, 5" snow in an hour and a real 1" squall with warning.

Oh yeah a decent maybe 10 days of snow cover in February.

February snow came in sun angle season with non impressive cold deduct a few points.

23 minutes ago, RedSky said:

5" depth in the sun

In all honesty, we had 2 decent 10-day stretches of winter....this winter. Based on future guidance, I will assume we are pretty much done for all intents and purposes. With that said, I give this winter a C/C+ grade. Like I told my son last year when finishing up 8th grade tho...C's are meh, you can do better. This year as a freshman in HS he is rocking straight A's and some advanced/honors studies. We need winter to respond likewise. We can do better.

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

The results are pretty much the same just a slightly different way to get there.   Temps will wind up above normal again and below normal snowfall most areas except the snow capitol of the east Allentown. 

Not a stat geek and just guessing but I think Feb temps will be 7-8+ for the month. It's leap year so another day to add to the stats while we're cooking mid next week...Thurs will be the 29th.

• Like 1

well for macungie, I still rate it a C- even with the nice snowfall event on Saturday and the previous week.  The temps have been cold this week and for one week in January but what strikes me about this winter was the amount of warm temps and rainfall from late November into January of nearly 15 inches. Furthermore  the excessive cloudy days throughout the entire winter season did a number on my utility bill trying to keep the house warm.  This winter sucked except for the last week.  A couple of weeks of winter simply does make up for the flooding rains and cloudy days, especially at  Christmas time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Far too generous. Did nothing Dec-holidays-mid January, and it's a top 5 warmest winter.

C+ Here only because of normal snow, crazy deathband, 2 high end SECS in a week, 5" snow in an hour and a real 1" squall with warning.

Oh yeah a decent maybe 10 days of snow cover in February.

February snow came in sun angle season with non impressive cold deduct a few points.

Pretty Lucky with your death band the models did all they could to find the needle in the haystack!  That event though has got to be your most memorable event over the past few years.  I will say it was fun tracking that until 3 am and then hearing the results as I looked at bare grounds until 1 am. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Not sure it is much better there either they are way below normal snowfall and way above normal temps too and are adjacent to another warm body of water Lake Erie.  

I probably have as much snow as Bradford that's ridiculous

Will not happen again 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Pretty Lucky with your death band the models did all they could to find the needle in the haystack!  That event though has got to be your most memorable event over the past few years.  I will say it was fun tracking that until 3 am and then hearing the results as I looked at bare grounds until 1 am. 

Best event since the MECS in 2021 and before that January 2016 not much to say for the last nine winters

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albedoman said:

well for macungie, I still rate it a C- even with the nice snowfall event on Saturday and the previous week.  The temps have been cold this week and for one week in January but what strikes me about this winter was the amount of warm temps and rainfall from late November into January of nearly 15 inches. Furthermore  the excessive cloudy days throughout the entire winter season did a number on my utility bill trying to keep the house warm.  This winter sucked except for the last week.  A couple of weeks of winter simply does make up for the flooding rains and cloudy days, especially at  Christmas time. 

The warm days, the cloudy days, and the abundant rains are all trademarks of a Nino fwiw. Kind of surprised how this winter played out here. What surprised me most is the lack of Southern snows along NC/SC a few times during a Nino. Didn't have that this year. I wonder if that feature has shifted N over the years to our region? We usually don't see the week-long stretches of winter but rather one big one in Feb or March. Interesting that Nova Scotia got an anomalous 5' + snowstorm a few weeks back. Hmm, maybe everything did shift N this year. Wonder if that's a sign of the times/change?

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The warm days, the cloudy days, and the abundant rains are all trademarks of a Nino fwiw. Kind of surprised how this winter played out here. What surprised me most is the lack of Southern snows along NC/SC a few times during a Nino. Didn't have that this year. I wonder if that feature has shifted N over the years to our region? We usually don't see the week-long stretches of winter but rather one big one in Feb or March. Interesting that Nova Scotia got an anomalous 5' + snowstorm a few weeks back. Hmm, maybe everything did shift N this year. Wonder if that's a sign of the times/change?

yes I agree with El nino pattern statement should be expected rains and warmth but not to that extreme that we all experienced. December had the most rain ever recorded in the LV  which rivaled good hurricane season rains and flooding was unbelievable.  I am also sure it was the cloudiest periods ever for the winter season. Somebody needs to find this out.  We went in 5-6 day mostly cloudy stretches for at least two months  with no 2-3 day consecutive sunny days That should have been a good tell how this winter was going too. 

5 hours ago, Albedoman said:

yes I agree with El nino pattern statement should be expected rains and warmth but not to that extreme that we all experienced. December had the most rain ever recorded in the LV  which rivaled good hurricane season rains and flooding was unbelievable.  I am also sure it was the cloudiest periods ever for the winter season. Somebody needs to find this out.  We went in 5-6 day mostly cloudy stretches for at least two months  with no 2-3 day consecutive sunny days That should have been a good tell how this winter was going too. 

Interesting observation. Its kind of like tornado alley shifting 150 miles eastward over the past few decades. 

56 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I sit just 5.5" behind Syracuse, NY on the season., seven miles up the road in lower Macungie they are around tied. Random chance was in my favor but is it too much to ask for 1" more to reach 30?

If you told me back around Thanksgiving that I'd be reading a post like this in late Feb, I'd have bet the farm we got smacked good this winter. :unsure:

Nice looking hurricane forming on the 12z GFS post 300 hrs. Lock it up!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

If you told me back around Thanksgiving that I'd be reading a post like this in late Feb, I'd have bet the farm we got smacked good this winter. :unsure:

Nice looking hurricane forming on the 12z GFS post 300 hrs. Lock it up!

Still hoping all that activity leads to a rare mid-late March event but otherwise ready to move on to spring.