• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

Most spots across the county fell below freezing either last night or overnight today. Our first below freezing reading since December 23rd. The first week of the new year should be mainly dry through Friday and seasonably chilly. The coldest day will be Friday when temps may struggle to pass freezing in some of the higher spots in the county.
Records for today: High 62 (2000) / Low minus 7 (1899) / Rain 2.09" (1948) / Snow 9.0" (1925)
image.png.ac58ffd32b64324bb16c830597d0be3e.png

A frosty start to our morning across the county. Lows have ranged from as low as 21.1 in Warwick Twp. to as high as 27.9 in Atglen. The next couple of days should continue to be seasonably cold with highs near 40 degrees in most spots. We turn colder on Friday and Saturday with temps struggling to get much above the low 30's. Today marks the 662nd straight day (since March 12, 2022) that we will fail to record 1.0" of snow this breaks the old record of 661 days from February 24, 1972 till December 16, 1973. Of note during that time back in 1972-73 we measured no snow at all. That record will remain in place as we have actually recorded 9 days during this time frame with measurable snow of greater than 0.2". We only went 278 days between measurable snow here in East Nantmeal from March 12, 2022 till December 15, 2022 - when we recorded 0.5" of snow. However, it does look increasingly likely that we will record at least 1" of snow on Saturday the 6th. In fact the NWS at PHL/Mount Holly has placed Western Chester County in the zone of best chance for accumulating snow. This is still not a forecast so stay tuned.

image.png.fab9abe958040edbd6c36d61285f35bd.png

Today should be a nice day but will feel colder this PM as winds increase from the NW. Colder tonight and tomorrow with temps struggling to escape the low to mid 30's tomorrow. Snow should arrive by midday on Saturday with the best chance of any minor accumulations before the turn to rain being further west and north across the area. Dry and seasonable to start the new work week but snow looks to arrive again on Tuesday before quickly changing to rain. That storm could be quite impactful with heavy rain and wind across the entire area.
Records for today: High 67 (1950) / 3 below zero (1918) / Rain 1.55" (1944) / Snow 4.5" (1905)
image.png.3bbc3ea66a98d6d5cc2a154cac5f15b1.png

38 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

I know this has 0 chance of verifying but 342hr GFS last night lmfao. Hey I’m happy we are in a period where fantasy bomb storms have returned 

IMG_2750.jpeg

I actually preferred the shut-the-blinds pattern tbh. At least we werent wasting our time chasing our tails. This is becoming yet another one of those seasons where MR/LR offer teases which fall apart as lead times shorten. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I actually preferred the shut-the-blinds pattern tbh. At least we werent wasting our time chasing our tails. This is becoming yet another one of those seasons where MR/LR offer teases which fall apart as lead times shorten. 

Yea I can see that to tbh. It’s depressing. This weekends storm looked like a winner for so many just about 60hrs ago and now many are down to a an Advisory level snowfall and even more are down to a nothing burger

Yea I can see that to tbh. It’s depressing. This weekends storm looked like a winner for so many just about 60hrs ago and now many are down to a an Advisory level snowfall and even more are down to a nothing burger

You’re in Bethlehem? Not everything can be a historical storm. 4-8” is quite a healthy storm, especially after 2 years of next to nothing

31 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

You’re in Bethlehem? Not everything can be a historical storm. 4-8” is quite a healthy storm, especially after 2 years of next to nothing

100000% true but I like going big game hunting at this point lol. ...although a 4in snow is now big game hunting these days :D. Did you used to be on Accuweather Forums back in the day? Username is very familiar