• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

Next weekend’s storm threat looks pretty good. I’m much more concerned about suppression than rain and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see lots more flip-flopping on the models. Hopefully it works out and gives all of us a decent snowstorm.

The mid-week threat isn’t very promising. I think some areas could get an inch or so from the northern stream disturbance but a bigger coastal storm seems pretty unlikely. New England is still in the game, although not by much.

Happy New Year's Eve Day to all!! It should be a mostly cloudy seasonably chilly final day of 2023. We could ring in the New Year overnight and toward morning with a few light snow showers. Any very small accumulation amounts would be in areas over 700 ft ASL. A cooling trend looks to take place as we move through the week with the next chance of any snow or rain showers toward Thursday. A larger potential event may impact the area next weekend.
Records for today: High 64 (1965) / Low minus 5 (1917) / Rain 1.68" (1906) / Snow 5.0" (1970)image.png.304593c68b17981b0539f9f78b6947c5.png

I suspect we will see a big pick up in followers on FB this week? Below is my latest.

"Of course just 6 hours later some big changes on the models. The Canadian now depicts plenty of model snow for the area (NOT A FORECAST)....while the GFS now shows a quick change from snow to rain with little accumulation (NOT A FORECAST). This is why it is critical to take any individual model run with a grain of salt. A professional forecaster will only incorporate these into a forecast when we begin to see both consistency between model runs and model suites. The main message here is there is growing potential for some sort of storm along the east coast next weekend. An early professional forecast from the NWS is still at least 4 or 5 days away. Notice that the difference between the earlier GFS and this run is only about 50 miles in track of the storm - but that would have big implications on type of precipitation across our area."image.thumb.png.47a2cde07b4f86006e018e116617a290.pngimage.thumb.png.49a07267f70a19c8ed188de06b42372f.png

1 hour ago, LVblizzard said:

GFS joins the Euro. Looks decent for the Lehigh Valley northward but if you’re south of the turnpike it’s more rain than snow.

On the news this morning, they showed water temps off AC at 47F. Yes, we have some challenges down this way.

But too early to worry about details this far out, let's get this inside 72 hours.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

On the news this morning, they showed water temps off AC at 47F. Yes, we have some challenges down this way.

But too early to worry about details this far out, let's get this inside 72 hours.

With the right track I have seen it snow with water temps in the low 50's.....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

That's about right. Little too warm for my liking.

Overcast/41F

https://seatemperature.info/new-jersey-water-temperature.html

AC.jpg