Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 23-24' Wx Observations Thread

Carvers Gap

1 hour ago, 1234snow said:

It was 69 today in Kingsport. Got back home and it was 61 degrees with some snow cover hanging on. Today finally put a big dent in the snow. I probably had 3 inches of snow depth last night.

It was like summer over here!  The only thing I hate is that it is going to erase our negative temperature departure.  Somebody is gonna talk about how warm January 2024 was!  LOL.  If they only knew.

• Like 1

I've got around an inch left now. It's so foggy here you can't see a hundred feet with the warmer air over the remaining snow. It's went up to 46 now, after holding in the lower 40s all day. I expect the snow to be gone by morning mostly. When that fog arrives, I've always called it snow eating fog. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Today I observed rain, thunder and 9 cars on I-75 with flats from potholes. 

I had to head up to Jacksboro today and man, I nearly broke an axel.  I've never seen the interstate in such bad shape.  I was also fortunate enough to get stuck at the Caryville on-ramp while they shut I-75 down to patch some holes.  Also, it's amazing how much fog builds over there around Cove Lake.  Campbell county really is another world lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

I had to head up to Jacksboro today and man, I nearly broke an axel.  I've never seen the interstate in such bad shape.  I was also fortunate enough to get stuck at the Caryville on-ramp while they shut I-75 down to patch some holes.  Also, it's amazing how much fog builds over there around Cove Lake.  Campbell county really is another world lol.

The lake was frozen over until yesterday and probably still was in parts. It generates a lot of fog when it's so cold and the air over top is so mild. It's foggy as heck here still right now, though most of the snow is gone, it's still holding on in a few places and along sides of the road in my area. 

That section around 134 was the area that had 11 wrecks in about 15 minutes when the freezing rain hit. 

75 from the Campbell County border to the Kentucky border is an absolute menace. 

• Like 2

24° and thick freezing fog this morning here at the house. I didn’t think it was going to get quite this cold last night. It will be interesting to see how trees and things look when the sun comes up in a little bit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

24° and thick freezing fog this morning here at the house. I didn’t think it was going to get quite this cold last night. It will be interesting to see how trees and things look when the sun comes up in a little bit.

Yeah similar conditions here, beautiful with the sun coming thru the trees. All the branches are shining

• Like 3

The cell blowing up to my east around Greeneville looks pretty intense! I just heard it thunder here at the house! We sure are getting several days of lightning and thunder under our belts. That 10 day rule is gonna be put to a serious test!

• Like 3