• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 23-24' Wx Observations Thread

Carvers Gap

Have a good deal of ice on the road this morning. Surprised there’s not an sps for it. I’ve seen many times where we’d have an sps for it and there was far less ice than this morning. I guess they have other things on their mind this morning. 

• Like 4

Wife and I came to Memphis this morning for a quick “business” trip. The wind and rain are rolling in. Sitting in our hotel room we can definitely hear the wind outside and that “whine” it makes around windows/doors.

• Like 3

Tons of flooding this morning. We may crack 4" from this system. I can't believe we don't even have a flood advisory out. It's borderline FFW conditions here.

Already pushing 3” in Knoxville and this is on the way…7edea14f314ddca3c5cb66bc14f3f878.png

14 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

The wind is absolutely ripping it at my house. Just had a 42mph gust. That’s extreme for a NTSWG for my area.

I was about to ask.  TYS has recorded a gust to 55mph.  I know that is on the exact opposite side of town, but that is howling!!!

• Like 2

I was driving back through Knoxville and the wind was pretty wild. Got some good pics of a street cloud and a rainbow I will post later. There was also a downpour that was very much like a summer tstorm. 

If that was about an hour ago north of Knoxville I was in it. That’s where my wind gusts came from. Pretty wild actually

• Like 1

Rainbow looking northwest from near UT:
1NRIlSj.png

Poplar Creek near Oliver Springs:
4YTglKv.png

Street cloud, looking SW from West Hills area in Knoxville:
9flsNC0.png
And wtf is this mess:
Is it August:
jXAvCS3.png
Convective clouds over Oak Ridge as seen from Morgan County

Beautiful… you and John take great pictures

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

The wind is absolutely ripping it at my house. Just had a 42mph gust. That’s extreme for a NTSWG for my area.

It's amazing how these ridges affect everything.  My max gust in Murphy Hills (can't be more than a mile or two from you I imagine) during that was 22mph.  Sandwiched between Black Oak and Beaver ridges, this little valley often shields me from wind depending on the setup.  Temps also vary as much as 8 degrees from other areas like TYS at times.  I've wondered if my station was out of calibration but it seems to match others close to here.  Microclimates are fun.

• Like 3

It's amazing how these ridges affect everything.  My max gust in Murphy Hills (can't be more than a mile or two from you I imagine) during that was 22mph.  Sandwiched between Black Oak and Beaver ridges, this little valley often shields me from wind depending on the setup.  Temps also vary as much as 8 degrees from other areas like TYS at times.  I've wondered if my station was out of calibration but it seems to match others close to here.  Microclimates are fun.

When I got married 23 years ago, we lived in the condos between Weigles and Murphy Hills. I noticed the same thing as you with the wind. In the upper end of Halls where I’m at now, there’s not much towards the W/SW to block the wind. Some friends of mine on down Emory towards Gibbs lost some small apple trees today.

FYI… Kenny Chesney’s step dad built those condos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1