• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 23-24' Wx Observations Thread

Carvers Gap

Here you go. Hard to see but leaves and small debris are ripping past. This is my new record for wind! Previous was 74mph during hurricane Irene in Eastern, NC. Station recorded 83 while I was recording.

I had no idea I followed you on twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Here you go. Hard to see but leaves and small debris are ripping past. This is my new record for wind! Previous was 74mph during hurricane Irene in Eastern, NC. Station recorded 83 while I was recording.

https://youtu.be/2VDa4dIA5K8?si=qpz6t4Y2hsRtIXtM

Great video. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you enjoyed your trip. 

• Like 4

25 this morning and currently 34 degrees. The true Arctic air is over the Mid-State and hasn't made it to here yet.

I was actually thinking about this earlier… we are moving mid 30’s degree temps out of the way. Usually it’s mid 50’s to 60ish or something. Seems like that would cause less drag with the cold front moving in. Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

I was actually thinking about this earlier… we are moving mid 30’s degree temps out of the way. Usually it’s mid 50’s to 60ish or something. Seems like that would cause less drag with the cold front moving in. Thoughts?

Snow cover is the only thing I know of that lets cold air move better. These Arctic airmasses are dense and are slow to get over bare ground. I'm not worried about it being plenty cold for all of us though, other than south eastern and maybe far far far eastern areas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Going to be many places likely below zero tonight.  After substantial snowfall for many, temps are about to get crazy cold.

I was looking at that earlier. Check out the GFS. It is way colder than the cmc or the rgem! Can’t believe it will actually be that cold -14 in Knoxville and -13 at Tri. Seems about 10 degrees too cold. I guess if winds go completely calm and the sky stays completely clear it could make a run at that with this kind of deep snowpack 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

I was looking at that earlier. Check out the GFS. It is way colder than the cmc or the rgem! Can’t believe it will actually be that cold -14 in Knoxville and -13 at Tri. Seems about 10 degrees too cold. I guess if winds go completely calm and the sky stays completely clear it could make a run at that with this kind of deep snowpack 

I think it was @GaWxthat said the GFS has a cold bias over snow pack.  The GFS did a nice job of picking out extreme temps headed this way, but it does get carried away w/ snow pack.   The air mass this weekend could be the bell ringer.  Apple has me at -4 for Sunday - not the most scientific way to follow wx, but it does a decent job if within 24 hours or so.

• Like 2

I don’t see how schools are going to go back at all this week. I work for Knox Co school, HVAC department and I’ve been out a lot. I’m at Central High now. Back roads are like concrete. School parking lots are the same. Was at Fulton last night. My jeep will go anywhere but getting into Fulton was an adventure. Lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I don’t see how schools are going to go back at all this week. I work for Knox Co school, HVAC department and I’ve been out a lot. I’m at Central High now. Back roads are like concrete. School parking lots are the same. Was at Fulton last night. My jeep will go anywhere but getting into Fulton was an adventure. Lol.

Our schools have closed until Monday already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

Honestly even Monday could be another day or at least a delay. That's the first real "warm" day, but it is still supposed to be very cold in the morning. 

Anyway, secondary roads are awful all over Knox. I live in the city proper and still no plow. Not that it would do much with all the compacted snow and ice. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:12 PM, Jed33 said:

I assume you realize that you turned out to have the right idea with Knoxville's actual low being 0 and Tri's actual low being +3 vs yesterday's 12Z GFS progging -14/-13. I counted at least the four prior runs as well as the 18Z having something similar. However, interestingly in case you didn't see it, the subsequent 3 runs starting with the 0Z suddenly warmed ~10 and thus were much closer to reality. We agree that it takes near perfect radiational conditions for the GFS to be close in these situations when it's extremely cold. That may have happened in some cities of TN from what I've read. If anyone could be more specific about these cities and post the 1/16 12Z GFS prog compared to what verified, please let us know. But most of the time, extreme GFS runs like that 12Z run you noted for Knoxville and Tri seem to end up quite a bit too cold. I first learned about this cold bias over fresh snowcover from a pro met whom I know.

I see that the -14 progged Knoxville low was a whopping 44 BN! So, the actual low of 0 was a "mere" 30 BN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

I assume you realize that you turned out to have the right idea with Knoxville's actual low being 0 and Tri's actual low being +3 vs yesterday's 12Z GFS progging -14/-13. I counted at least the four prior runs as well as the 18Z having something similar. However, interestingly in case you didn't see it, the subsequent 3 runs starting with the 0Z suddenly warmed ~10 and thus were much closer to reality. We agree that it takes near perfect radiational conditions for the GFS to be close in these situations when it's extremely cold. That may have happened in some cities of TN from what I've read. If anyone could be more specific about these cities and post the 1/16 12Z GFS prog compared to what verified, please let us know. But most of the time, extreme GFS runs like that 12Z run you noted for Knoxville and Tri seem to end up quite a bit too cold. I first learned about this cold bias over fresh snowcover from a pro met whom I know.

I see that the -14 progged Knoxville low was a whopping 44 BN! So, the actual low of 0 was a "mere" 30 BN.

The GFS from 00z 1-16-24 had me at -8 and I ended up at -8. It had Newcomb, west of me at -6 and they ended up at -7.  It had Oneida at -7 and they ended up at -9. It had Tazewell at -14 and they ended up at -12. Our posters in the area also seemed to have recorded -8 to -10.  Unfortunately TYS is not actually in Knoxville or Knox County, and it's a notorious heat island, I believe they didn't get quite as much snow as areas very close by to the N and NW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GaWx said:

Yes, but like John said, TYS doesn’t tell the story very well, bc it’s not even in Knox Co. It was on the far southern end of where the heavier band setup, and like most airports definitely has a UHI effect. That said, the -14° was too extreme, and I did notice right at go time that the GFS corrected by warming up. However, in the places where there was 8+ inches of snow that fell, sub zero readings were common. Especially in low lying areas of those places. This included most of Knox and surrounding counties. I hit -1° at my house, but I live on a ridge overlooking Cherokee Lake. Many places away from the lake and lower elevation went lower than that into the -5 to -10 range. So, while not perfect, it wasn’t too terrible imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John1122 said:

The GFS from 00z 1-16-24 had me at -8 and I ended up at -8. It had Newcomb, west of me at -6 and they ended up at -7.  It had Oneida at -7 and they ended up at -9. It had Tazewell at -14 and they ended up at -12. Our posters in the area also seemed to have recorded -8 to -10.  Unfortunately TYS is not actually in Knoxville or Knox County, and it's a notorious heat island, I believe they didn't get quite as much snow as areas very close by to the N and NW.

A bit off topic, but it drives me nuts how TYS is "Knoxville." It was the same when I lived in Johnson City and "TRI" was the official record. Honestly that one is worse because Bristol, Kingsport, and JC all can have vastly different conditions. It was even similar when I lived in Asheville and "AVL" was very similar to "TYS" where the airport is well south of the city proper and would get blanked at times the city would get a couple of inches. 

I mean, how hard is it to have an official record for towns and cities? Drives me nuts. Should be easier than ever with tech too. 

• Like 1

Bonus snow showers swinging through northern middle TN this morning. Any exposed surfaces are getting an extra layer of dippin' dots.

8:15 am CT Update: DBZ's have really picked up the last few frames so I wonder if there's any 'lake effect' resulting from Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley?

• Like 2